Car breakdown on a BUSY road junction...

Eric19

Hi Guys

Just want to share with you my recent experience. Was driving a friend's car last nite (alone) and it stalled in the middle of a road at Yio Chu Kang and Serangoon Gd Way junction [thumbsdown]. Tried to restart but no luck. Heart started to pump very fast, kan chiong already [sweatdrop] , as the light was turning amber. Cars were trying to squeeze pass me. It was panic button [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] . My left hand fumbled for the hazard light button and at the same time trying to restart the car (key hole also on the left).

Suddenly in the midst of my misery, came a TP [thumbsup] knocking on my window(didn't even notice his presence). He asked, "what happened"?. Told him car stalled cannot start, he says let's push it a side. I came down and together we pushed the car. It was an old MB 300SEL a German "Tiger" weighing almost 2 tons. Finally we managed to push it to the side of the road, thank him [thumbsup] and off he went.

Luckily for me, he happened to rode by, if not sure stand like a damn fool [blush] causing a massive traffic jam.

I wonder how many of us have actually been in such situation. After last nite, I can understand how these people feel in their stranded car. Finally called AA and got the car towed. Anyone has a story to share?

Cheers

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi Eric,

Your incident reminds me of one that happens about 2 years back. my car went dead at a busy cross junction near kallang. As it was a right turn lane, cars behind had to squeeze pass me to make for the turning. In less than 10min, a police car was behind me. 2 policeman came, look into my bonnet, made a call. I told them i 've made a call to my friend who will come to help me jump-start. In the next 10mins or so, another police car came, stop behind us, brought out a jump-start cable, and after few min of charging, my car were able to start.

One policeman suggest that he follow behind me as my office is not very far from there. We drove off.

While i was about 200m from my office block, my car again stalled and engine went dead. Fortunately, the 2 policeman were behind, we tried to re-charge the batt but to no avail. Again, they made a call and in less than 10mins, came the pevious police car and again the other 2 policeman.

Now, 4 policeman was peering into my bonnet (with one police car facing the opposite direction of my car as it was still charging the batt). I notice many passer-by were curious. I too felt quite embarrass as it looks like my car were stopped for criminal stop-over. So naturally, i pretend to be chatting with the uniform guys, like old friends.

Then, finally, one guy suggest that i get into my car and they will help push it into my company carpark! Wow! i can never forget the moment when 3 policeman actually pushed my Galant all the way into my JTC carpark. There were hundreds of eyes watching and wondering " Who that heck inside the car with 3 policeman behind? is he a hardcore criminal or what?"

Well, after my car was parked inside a lot, i offered to buy them coffee, but they said "no thanks, its alright"

I was so touch by these guys as i notice they were panting and sweating in their uniform. Then after they left, i realised i forgot to get their names. Otherwise i would have written to either the media or the authority to compliments their superb help.

Hi there Easy,

Both you and Eric19 have such pleasant experience with the men in blue [thumbsup][thumbsup] ... in fact, most of them can be very friendly:-

i had an accident 3 years ago, a high speed biker rammed into the rear of my car and he himself was badly injured..... while waiting for the ambulance to come, one of the policemen attending to the case stood with me by the road side and we had a good chat...... i guess as long as we do not commit any offence, they will treat us like 'friends'.....

btw, not many people has the experience of having a broken down car pushed by three policemen with hundred pairs of eyes watching..... [laugh][laugh]

cheers

Edited by Super7

Neutral Newbie

Hi S7,

You're right. After that incident, i received many stares from ppl in that coffeeshop.

The drink stall owner even asked me if i were once a policeman? Ha, should have told him " i was their superintendent "

".. i guess as long as we do not commit any offence, they will treat us like 'friends'..... "

Hey..they are humans too rt?? [thumbsup]

Even my recent incident...they sought my advise as well and we exchanged assistance, they are humans too..and sometimes gotta be thankful that we have some noble ppl in the force.. [thumbsup]

"........Ha, should have told him " i was their superintendent " ....."

[thumbsup][thumbsup] .... juz behave with abit of 'secrey", pple will take note and think you got good connection with the blue uniforms..... not a bad thing... [laugh][laugh]

and you dun mean only lady police officers??? [sly][sly][sly]...like the one in 999 last year on TV????

Edited by Super7

Hi Guys

Just want to share with you my recent experience. Was driving a friend's car last nite (alone) and it stalled in the middle of a road at Yio Chu Kang and Serangoon Gd Way junction thumbsdown.gif. Tried to restart but no luck. Heart started to pump very fast, kan chiong already sweatdrop.gif , as the light was turning amber. Cars were trying to squeeze pass me. It was panic button sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif . My left hand fumbled for the hazard light button and at the same time trying to restart the car (key hole also on the left).

Suddenly in the midst of my misery, came a TP thumbsup.gif knocking on my window(didn't even notice his presence). He asked, "what happened"?. Told him car stalled cannot start, he says let's push it a side. I came down and together we pushed the car. It was an old MB 300SEL a German "Tiger" weighing almost 2 tons. Finally we managed to push it to the side of the road, thank him thumbsup.gif and off he went.

Luckily for me, he happened to rode by, if not sure stand like a damn fool blush.gif causing a massive traffic jam.

I wonder how many of us have actually been in such situation. After last nite, I can understand how these people feel in their stranded car. Finally called AA and got the car towed. Anyone has a story to share?

Cheers

I got a similar experience. However, I was not so panicky. Just patiently waiting at the kerb for help.

On comes a Caucasian, very helpful.......helped me pushed it to the side......I don't mean to practise racial discriminations, but when it comes to such situations, it seems my experience with caucasians and malays are more pleasant.

the driver of one car irks me absolutely.......he honked me instead......I have already done the necessary thing to warn these people about the car breakdown.......yet if he stupidly choose to come behind my car which broke down, why vent his stupidity on me?whip.gif

".....yet if he stupidly choose to come behind my car which broke down, why vent his stupidity on me...."

Well, some ppl are 'intellectually challenged', so live and let live... [rolleyes]

Hi Easy

Singapore so crime free, sure got time to help motorist in distress [laugh] , If you were a damsel I am sure the whole division will come to your aid [laugh][laugh][laugh]

i must agree that our guys in blue/white are nice people, except for a few rotten apples esp those riding BIG hondas/bmws along our ESway.

Cheers

Hi Eric,

Guess my story should be the oldest one since it happened almost 10 years ago. I was travelling along CTE heading towards city to pick up my gf when the sole piston of my motorbike ceased. Engine brake suddenly became very effective and my bike slowed down from 90kph to 50kph in the space of few seconds. Cars behind me had to "siam" to avoid knocking into my bike...there was totally no warning as my bike didn't have hazard light feature.

Me quickly squeezed the clutch lever to break the "engine brake" and slowly coast to the shoulder. As I was still a student and was on a very tight monthly budget, I decided not to called the "transport service" from my trusty workshop. Next came the daunting task of having to push my bike 4km to my mech's workshop along YCK road. what the heck? I'm young and strong, what's stopping me from completing a 4km road march with my bike? Heh heh, I soon found out I was wrong. I pushed my bike along Lor Chuan, several bikers stopped to offer help...it's ok, I'm almost there...sigh...face still more important I guess. [:(]

I completed 3km before giving up as the road was dark and it was dangerous for me to push the bike w/o any form of illumination. I came back the next day and was glad the my bike was "still in one piece". I finally reached the w/s but was handled another shock when I was told the repair cost would be >300 bucks....more than my allowance for one month then. [:(]

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

I too got a story to tell... it was about 7 yrs ago ..on ECP...i was riding also a sole piston engine motorbike..also jammed ...also clutch in to free wheel...luckily there's no car directly behind me...had to leave to bike on the shoulder..it was a sat night.....my bro who was also riding was behind me and i got a ride from him home....

On monday when my workshop guy went to tow me bike....

Guess what?? nowhere to be found...got stolen...

was very sad...cos riding was my passion then..and i was only a sec 5 student...the bike was bought with my hard earned part time job money.....

2 weeks later ..the police called and told me that they found my bike...i was so happy and relieved of course...but it was not over...when i went down to the police station to look for my bike, i tot it went missing again as i could not find it...but i saw something very familar ..my license plate on a "skeleton"..the buggers(who stole my bike) actually stripped my whole bike.......now worst..had to pay people to tow my bike away from the station and had to pay to scrap it......

Then, finally, one guy suggest that i get into my car and they will help push it into my company carpark! Wow! i can never forget the moment when 3 policeman actually pushed my Galant all the way into my JTC carpark. There were hundreds of eyes watching and wondering " Who that heck inside the car with 3 policeman behind? is he a hardcore criminal or what?"

Well, after my car was parked inside a lot, i offered to buy them coffee, but they said "no thanks, its alright"

I was so touch by these guys as i notice they were panting and sweating in their uniform. Then after they left, i realised i forgot to get their names. Otherwise i would have written to either the media or the authority to compliments their superb help.

Wah!!! think next time when i'm rushing for time.. i'll give them a call!! plus their siren in... sure can make it in time!! [laugh][laugh]

I got a similar experience. However, I was not so panicky. Just patiently waiting at the kerb for help.

On comes a Caucasian, very helpful.......helped me pushed it to the side......I don't mean to practise racial discriminations, but when it comes to such situations, it seems my experience with caucasians and malays are more pleasant.

the driver of one car irks me absolutely.......he honked me instead......I have already done the necessary thing to warn these people about the car breakdown.......yet if he stupidly choose to come behind my car which broke down, why vent his stupidity on me?whip.gif

somehow I had such similar encounter, usually it would be some caucasians or malays, Indian that would offer their kind help in time of distress.

While the hazzard light is on, and vehicle can't move at all, there is bound to be some idiot behind who keep on pressing the horn, and gives you the "as if I am dumb and stupid to stop in the middle of the road" kind of stare as they overtake. [confused][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Neutral Newbie

7 years ago, I had a similar experience. That time my timing belt

broke and car totall cannot be restarted. It was on the PIE.

Worse thing was my handphone battery went flat (earlier handphone

battery did not last very long). Just waited at the side of the road and

did not know what to do. Many vehicles went by but none stopped to

offer help.

Finally, a BMW can and asked me what happened. I explained to him that

the problem and told him that I needed a tow truck and gave him the

telephone number. He radioed the division and requested for this to be

done. Within 30 minutes, the tow truck came and towed the car away.

It was a long night but thanks to the traffic policeman, it proceeded

smoothly!

Happy LNY to everyone and especially to the Men in blues!

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

I had a similar incident too, and this incident really taught me the importance of getting your car check and service regularly. No joke, my friends!

This happen about 4 years ago. I was driving in the middle lane along ECP towards city near Bedok around 8pm. Was driving leisurely when suddenly felt no power in the car. Stepped harder on accelerator, but no fuel fed to engine. Started panicking as I was in middle lane. Immediately signal left and filter left to the 'stopping' lane with no power in the car, just momentum. Very luckily, there wasn't any cars behind me and on the left of me. If there were, I would have cruise to a stop in the middle of a expressway!! Imagine the chaos I would have caused. Car couldn't restart after that and had to be towed to workshop.

Can't remember exactly what was wrong with the car, but something to do with the fuel pump or the alternator.

Neutral Newbie

4 years ago, when i was driving my datsun 100a, it broke down like nobody business. [shakehead] Especially when i was driving, it would stall without any warning. [sweatdrop] What i did was, stepped the crutch, lower to 3rd gear, release the crutch slowly and the car will restart again. [thumbsup] (For those who want to try this, please make sure that the cars behind are far away [shocked] as the car will jerk before restart) [nod]