Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:06 PM

Plakatboy
  • Plakatboy
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi ,

anyone with experience with the mentioned shock absorbers? The KYB quote was about $80 more than the Tokico (change all 4).

Care to give comments? Wonder if i should pay more for the KYB.

Thanks.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I had KYB in my previous ride and i would give it a thumbsup.gif For Tokico, i have no comments as it seems that KYB is a more popular brand tongue.gif

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

Plakatboy
  • Plakatboy
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Noted. Thanks.

In between, how long did the KYB last for your previous ride?

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

Octopus
  • Premium member
    Octopus
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I'm using KYB shock absorber, and find that comfort wise quite alright. But its a bit soft for taking on bend or corner at higher speed.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I had it on during 80,000km on my odometer and it is still running well (At least to me smile.gif ) when i scrape off at 150,000km thumbsup.gif

Edited by Mzrmazda3, 02 November 2005 - 03:33 PM.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:40 PM

Genie47
  • Genie47
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I'd go for Tokicos. They are firmer. Dampers will go psst.....flat after some time. No need to spend so much unless you absolutely need that kind of performance touted in them. KYB, Tokico, Monroe all the same if they are for your stock car. Unless you got tuned suspension with lowered springs and all that, maybe it is justifiable for more expensive dampers but I doubt it is worth it for stock suspensions.
Men are like oysters, closed to suffering.
http://www.spritmoni...ail/264162.html

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

Teddi
  • Teddi
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Beware! Some KYB stocks are made in Malaysia.

Tokico are from Japan.

If you want better shocks, go for Koni. Good value.

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Get the KYB from the shop in Owen Rd. They're from Japan.

KYB is the OEM for many jap cars. I use the gas type. Good value for money.

Tried Monroe senstrax & normal Monroe b4. Nothing special. I now stick to good ole Jap OEM's. thumbsup.gif

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:48 AM

Plakatboy
  • Plakatboy
    1st Gear
    Author Image

okayz.

Can't find KYB for my ride. Only Tokico from a shop at Norris road.

Yah..don't intend to spend so much. My car only from Pt A to B and the occasion trip to Malaysia nod.gif

Current cheapest quote for all 4 incld labour is $300 (no wheel alignment)

By the way is it okay not to do the wheel alignment thingy?

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Tried Monroe senstrax & normal Monroe b4. Nothing special.

nod.gif KYB still stands out among the 2 thumbsup.gif

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:28 PM

Genie47
  • Genie47
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

You have to align the wheels or your tires will burn needlessly.
Men are like oysters, closed to suffering.
http://www.spritmoni...ail/264162.html

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:34 PM

Octopus
  • Premium member
    Octopus
    Supercharged
    Author Image

[reply]
okayz.

Can't find KYB for my ride. Only Tokico from a shop at Norris road.

Yah..don't intend to spend so much. My car only from Pt A to B and the occasion trip to Malaysia

Current cheapest quote for all 4 incld labour is $300 (no wheel alignment)

By the way is it okay not to do the wheel alignment thingy? [/quote]
Better to do alignment if there's work done on your shock absorber and drive shaft, cos the alignment will quite likely to be disturbed.

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

Newsunny
  • Newsunny
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Hi,

Is there a way to tell whether the shock came from Japan or Malaysia ?
Thanks

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:33 PM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Try the shop I PM'ed u for orig Japan KYB.

Wheel alignment u must do. Don't depend on the WS to do it properly. If they do it, it's only the mechanical type which is no good as u have to check camber, castor & toe in/out.

Only the computerised 4 wheel alignment can do this properly.

I had my shocks chnaged at cas senoko & they told me alignment was done but the handling sucked real bad after. I had a skid on a wet road soon after & hit a guard-rail. This was due to poor alignment.

I got the 4 wheel computerised alignment done after & cud feel the car much more stable, especially in the wet. Computerised alignment for all 4 wheels cost abt $50.

$300 is about the market for oem jap shocks incl labour for 4 wheels. I prefer to buy my own parts so i can make sure I get the good stuff. Most ws will get the cheapest parts to make more profit.

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My KYB shocks got it printed on the box & I think on the shocks too. "Made in Japan".

If u only see the word "japan", it might b from some other country.

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

Newsunny
  • Newsunny
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I see ... thanks for the pointer. Will go owen road to check it out :)

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

Plakatboy
  • Plakatboy
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Bought my Tokicos gas shocks for $220.

Took them out from the box to check. Noticed that the front shocks are much softer than the rear ones . Any one can advise if this is normal ?

Thanks.

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:09 AM

Newsunny
  • Newsunny
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Sorry bro, can't help you here. I just know that according to KYB technical papers, the GR-2 or Excel-G replacement shocks are about 15% firmer than stock ones. Maybe you shouldn't be comparing front and rear but with the stock shocks ?

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

Plakatboy
  • Plakatboy
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Changed my shocks today for 80 bucks (labour). To my horror, the stockist gave me wrong rear shocks!! dizzy.gif

Have to take a cab down to exchange..sigh...try to save a few dollars by getting my own parts ended up paying it to the cabbies.

Anyway, the stockist do not have tokicos for my rear. So ended up giving me KYB instead. Now i have tokico (front) and KYB (rear) for absorbers. hur.gif

No choice lah...seem to work fine though.

In short i can probably answer my own post whether tokico or KYB is better now. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:38 AM

Newsunny
  • Newsunny
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I think should be ok. The stock replacement shocks are properly match to the stock springs and the weight of the car, so even if you got different brands in front and rear, it shouldn't be a major problem.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users