Shock absorbers - Tokico vs KYB

Plakatboy

Changed my shocks today for 80 bucks (labour). To my horror, the stockist gave me wrong rear shocks!! [dizzy]

Have to take a cab down to exchange..sigh...try to save a few dollars by getting my own parts ended up paying it to the cabbies.

Anyway, the stockist do not have tokicos for my rear. So ended up giving me KYB instead. Now i have tokico (front) and KYB (rear) for absorbers. [hur]

No choice lah...seem to work fine though.

In short i can probably answer my own post whether tokico or KYB is better now. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

I think should be ok. The stock replacement shocks are properly match to the stock springs and the weight of the car, so even if you got different brands in front and rear, it shouldn't be a major problem.

Looking at the shocks fresh from the boxes, i would give KYB the nod [thumbsup]

The overall look and workmanship is better. (just my personal opinion)

Thanks for the feedback, will get made-in-japan KYBs when my sunny needs new shocks.

How much was it and where was the shop again ? Thanks.

Did you also change the shock mounts ? Was told to change those at the same time when you change the shocks.

Edited by Newsunny

Hi newsunny.

If your car is noisy over bumps, u can ask the mech to check the rubber mounts. Also check the mounting plate which has a bearing & connects the shocks to the car body.

If they r old & worn, get them replaced for a quiter ride.

If u have a squeaking sound over humps, check the rubber bushings for the suspension at the same time. If old & worn, change them.

The additional few $$$ will b worth the quiet ride. Will sound & feel like a new car.

[reply]Changed my shocks today for 80 bucks (labour). To my horror, the stockist gave me wrong rear shocks!! [dizzy]

Have to take a cab down to exchange..sigh...try to save a few dollars by getting my own parts ended up paying it to the cabbies.

===============================

Your mech sud have checked if the parts r correct b4 he start to remove the old parts. U wud then just have to drive to the supplier to get them changed, & give them a good Fcuking while u r there. [laugh]

Only cost u some petrol. [sly]

haiz...guess the mech probably not too happy that i chop his profit by getting own parts [laugh]

Anyway, dun think he would have noted that the parts are not compatible unless he takes out the old one to compare.A good lesson learn though.

Next to change my clutch...quoted by stockist for my B14 Sunny $85 w/o ball bearings. Any idea what's the market rate for labour?

After the latest round of maintenance , my old ride now swee swee with a new lease of life. [pirate]

Well it works both ways. The mech dont have the trouble of going to buy the parts & also if u get the parts yourself u can control the quality of the parts going into your car.

My mech dosent mind i buy all parts myself & he earns the labour. He does charge very slightly more for labour but I dont mind as he does a good job & I want him to continue doing a good job so I pay slightly more without regrets.

Win win for both of us.

If your mech was experienced, he sud b able to spot the wrong parts easily as they do many jap cars all the time.

Sorry I cant comment on your clutch as I've been driving an auto for almost 20 years now.

Once your new parts changed, u can enjoy the smoothness & stability of your car again.

Neutral Newbie

I dunno the rate but do know that KYB Excel is for firm ride...KYB SR Special is for a little performance.

I changed my at www.riverviewauto.com.sg and same place for alignment. The sparepart was delivered instead of the mech hunt for it.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bros/Sis,

Anyone used tokicos on civic fd1(2006). Just wanna know if there is big difference for the ride with stock shocks. Was told by my mechanic to buy mounts and bearings too. Any lobang for these parts ?

Try the shop I PM'ed u for orig Japan KYB.

Wheel alignment u must do. Don't depend on the WS to do it properly. If they do it, it's only the mechanical type which is no good as u have to check camber, castor & toe in/out.

Only the computerised 4 wheel alignment can do this properly.

I had my shocks chnaged at cas senoko & they told me alignment was done but the handling sucked real bad after. I had a skid on a wet road soon after & hit a guard-rail. This was due to poor alignment.

I got the 4 wheel computerised alignment done after & cud feel the car much more stable, especially in the wet. Computerised alignment for all 4 wheels cost abt $50.

$300 is about the market for oem jap shocks incl labour for 4 wheels. I prefer to buy my own parts so i can make sure I get the good stuff. Most ws will get the cheapest parts to make more profit.

Bro can share contacts wit me? I confirm

Kenah carrot last year when I change my rear pair of Kyb absorbers.. Almost $300 for a pair for rear nia.. Si bei du LAN :( 1 lesson learnt

Bro can share contacts wit me? I confirm

Kenah carrot last year when I change my rear pair of Kyb absorbers.. Almost $300 for a pair for rear nia.. Si bei du LAN :( 1 lesson learnt

bro..this one 2005 thread leh..

prices should have changed alot liao..

Sorry fr late reply. Seldom come mcf cos abit busy.

Kyb try chin hon at race course rd. I dont use kyb now cos drive optra. I get oem optra shocks also around race course rd. Much cheaper than original chevy shocks.

Chevy original parts damm ex. Cos prices controlled by alpine wh super high markup.

↡ Advertisement