Peugeot 206 vs Ford Focus

Jazz

Dear MCF members,

Need advice from you guys, my brother in law has narrowed down these 2 cars and asked for my opinion, but too bad, I have not much knowledge in Conti cars, did ask him why he dun like Jap cars and his only reply is too common, oh well, so anyone care to give feedback and comments about these 2 cars so that I can feedback to him, Thanks in advance. smile.gif

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I;d go for the Focus. The Peugeot 206 design is rather jaded, having been around since 2001. At least the Focus design is fresher wink.gif The 307 would be a better choice for comparison nod.gif

Ford Focus and Peugeot 206 different class leh. one is compact car while the other one is family car. plus peugeot 206 almost having replacement model too. think Ford Focus would be a better choice. [nod]

Neutral Newbie

My feedback is:

With the amount u paid for either 2 cars, you can get a bigger horsepower & faster car in the jap/korean category. Do not underestimate the jap/korean designs since they have now adapted to Euro styling and research labs. You have a wider variety of upgrade parts and accessories within our region for jap/korean cars at much affordable prices. In fact, just look at a rim upgrade for the Peugeot/Ford at their 108 PCD, you're never going to find cheap rims for them!

The resale value of these conti cars are gonna suck big time when u try to dump it within 1 - 5 years of ownership.

The service level of the agents are.... hmmmmm (go figure!). So, there MIGHT be a good reason why it is "not common" on the road. But the general feedback by the lads here are right. The 206 model is going to be replaced by the 207 soon (which looks like a Mazda 2 crossbreed).

206 and the Ford Focus is 2 different class. Focus would be more on par with C4, Renault Megane and the Opel Astra, or the 307 rather than 206.

I think there's a bigger gap in pricing, performance, trim and equipment level between the 2 choices by your brother-in-law. Maybe you can ask him what is his requirement. Each got its pro and con and it's difficult for us to make a comparision when it's not equal.

Cheers [:)]

Agree with the comparision part. As for myself, i would take the Focus over 206 due to my own preference. But in this case, we don't know what his brother-in-law wants. [:/] Hard to give suggestion or comments.

Don't really agree with you on your points.

Different cars got different characteristics and it's difficult to compare them. If the price is one factor, then how about the 2L korean cars compared to a 1.6L true blue Japz make?

As for the upgrade parts and accessories, I do agree that most conti cars are rather expensive and some are lacking but let's not go into too much details. Take a stocked a conti cars Vs a stocked Japz car, how does one handle over a bend in high speed? That's one good reason why Japz car go for after-market mod as the stock car can't hold it well over a corner. (I'm comparing the usual normal 1.6L jap car vs a 1.6L conti)

As for rim, the real reason for getting a rim have been rather marred by the "look" factor rather than its actual use. Most people select rim based on how "stylo" it look on their ride but not on its function. How many actually place a lighted cig behind the rim when it's been turned and see if it suck air in to cool the brake? Anyway, cheap rim doesn't means it's good as I'm sure you know how a taiwan rim handle potholes when u go up north. Having said that, some conti cars do suck big time when looking for the correct offset, etc. [laugh]

Erm, as for the resale value, which car doesn't lose big time when they are being sell off, but the difference between a conti vs jap vs korean might not be that big if you really do your sum correctly.

Last but not least, the service level of Conti cars agent are actually quite good with a few exceptions. Jap/korean car agents also have record of bad services. I would say that most people still have the wrong preceptions on Conti cars. I'm sure you have read complaints regarding KM (Honda), BM (Toyota & even Lexus but very rare), C&C (Merc,Mit, Kia), SM (Volvo), Eurokars Grp (Saab, Opel) and PML (BMW)

As for the ratio of cars in the local market, It would be the case of preception, preference, price (we can't discount the fact the people go for the more affordable), etc.

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your preception but just giving my own opinions just like what you are doing. MCF is a place to exchange ideas. [thumbsup]

Do correct me if I'm wrong in any of my sentence/reasonings [wave]

Cheers

I'll go for the focus, cos it's sitting on a new platform and the moodel is newer than the 206. Built quality is also better than the pug. In the looks dept, it's really subjuctive...but the pug may have a sharper look.

Pug 207 will be launched sometime late next year, but Peugeot will still build and sell the 206 until at least 2008. At least that was what I read in a UK car mag a few months ago.

to me 1-2k more isn't significantly morelaugh.gif

having done research on sunny, lancer and some jap car resale prices, i dun find the resale price that fantastic for jap car anymore.

furthermore altis and vios are thai made and also slightly poorer off in resale value too.

that leaves only honda jazz and civic....

2 swallows does not make a summertongue.gif

Ya lor, I think some of the Thai-made cars are starting to fall apart liao after a few years. [sweatdrop]

And that's told to me by fellow Altis drivers. The City is still quite ok but I'm surprised that Altis is so milo-tinned. [:/]

yeah loh. that's why sometimes when i see such generalised and misleading comments i just need to bring it up for discussion.

i also heard some long term durability issues for some of these thai-made Japanese cars.