How useful is higher pressure radiator cap?

Orixy

Hi Guys, like your opinion on following Qs:

1) How useful is changing to a higher pressure radiator cap? Let's say from 1.1bar to 1.3bar? My brother recently change from stock 0.9bar to 1.1bar and he said that fuel consumption has improved slightly, presumably from lower engine temp (due to increased pressure in radiator).

2) Is there any performance effect from changing to an aftermarket engine oil cap (eg. Mugen, TRD, Silver's) other than aesthetics reasons? I've read adverts that claim due to the reason that the aftermarket engine oil cap is made from aluminium, it has the effect of helping the engine disperse heat faster - lower temp engine runs more efficiently.

↡ Advertisement

hahaa...now radiator cap oso can improve FC? dizzy.gif sound like those snake-oil marketing jargon leh. tongue.gif

lower temp is achieved by changing the thermostat, dun see how a radiator cap does that. the increased pressure simply prevents the cap from bursting open at a higher temp. reckon it's pretty useless unless one is running super mods. on the second point, gotta ask yourself what's the surface area of the cap...?

• Haha! 1

you should get the nerodymium one. with far infra red superpower, it can draw ur car to the car in front and reduce FC also. [laugh]

no lah... simi aluminium cap. theory many many. want good FC, alway remember to clean the radiator grille. remove the grimes and dirt that failed to pass thru and got block between the fins. use aircon cleaning (alkaline) solution tat foams into the fins or use heavy duty kitchen cleaner for stainless steel top (can spray)

can confirm after washing ur aircon even feel better.

but remember to protect ur air intake and engine. do it when engine is cold and dun anyhow use water jet. the fins still virgin hor. treat with TLC. hose down lightly can liaoz.

but upsize fr 1.1 to 1.3 bar should b ok.

• Haha! 1

Higher pressure will help water from boiling at a higher than normal temperature. Remembered some years ago, driving in South American (6,000ft QFL), I was adviced to change to such a radiator cap, due to the lower atmospheric pressure to prevent my car from boiling even before my temostat starts to work.Quite doubtful that it works as a fuel saver.

The improve FC part is not advert jargon... it came from my brother. I gave him a Ralliart 1.1bar radiator cap and he changed his OEM 0.9bar for the Ralliart one and FC improved slightly. He is still monitoring the FC to confirm if its really the "wonder works" of the radiator cap. [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

• Haha! 1

dun worry lah.. i also upsize fr 0.9bar to 1.1bar. downsize back recently and found power lagging after 2 days use. now back to 1.1bar.

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

from what i understand, higher pressure will stress the joints and valves etc.. which may not be able to withstand.. but i think it can take a slight increase? [:/]

the weakest joint will always fail. regardless of radiator pipe or aircon pipe. within 10% should b ok, considered u r just urban driving and the speed is not even 1/2 of max torque so parts r not fully stressed yet. even if u r driving very fast, u also got plenty of air driving into the radiator cooling it. so it is self compensatory.

I won't advise changing rad cap to a higher pressure one as your cooling system was designed to work with 0.9 bar for jap cars.

Increasing pressure will only raise the boiling point & stress the cooling system. [sweatdrop]

The higher bar caps r mainly for conti cars which r designed to have a higher water pressure in the cooling system.

Just like anything, put more stress on it & it gives way faster. How fast???

Well we'll wait for you to let us know in this forum. [sly]

"dun worry lah.. i also upsize fr 0.9bar to 1.1bar. downsize back recently and found power lagging after 2 days use. now back to 1.1bar."

>> Not worrying lah! Just want some opinions from people with experience in the rad cap thingy.

So for you, there is a noticeable power increase from upgrading from 0.9 to 1.1bar cap?

Thanks for advice! [thumbsup]

My stock radiator using 1.1bar. I just got hold of a 1.3bar and will try later today. Will let you guys know of the effect (if any!) [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

I will also be changing to a sports thermostat prob after CNY so see if 1.3bar cap + sports thermostat will complement each other and work well to being engine temp down.

No lah boss, I dont have the financial luxury to drive one. No offence to DC5 owners as it is a damn good ride! But if I have $80k to burn, I would probably buy a Stream so that whole family can go in! [flowerface]

Hi Guys, like your opinion on following Qs:

1) How useful is changing to a higher pressure radiator cap? Let's say from 1.1bar to 1.3bar? My brother recently change from stock 0.9bar to 1.1bar and he said that fuel consumption has improved slightly, presumably from lower engine temp (due to increased pressure in radiator).

2) Is there any performance effect from changing to an aftermarket engine oil cap (eg. Mugen, TRD, Silver's) other than aesthetics reasons? I've read adverts that claim due to the reason that the aftermarket engine oil cap is made from aluminium, it has the effect of helping the engine disperse heat faster - lower temp engine runs more efficiently.

Can .....It will Increase the TURBO BOOST ...and BHP by 100 ....make sure u get a VTEC Emblem ! [;)] JK

• Haha! 1

I thot I saw a discussion in another thread that higher temp gives better FC. Hmm... Well, it that theory is true, then a higher bar cap will improve FC as the cap will hold the pressure of boiling from 0.9bar to 1.3bar before releasing. Right?

↡ Advertisement