COE Mercedes 190E 1.8 - Any Comments?

Decibel

Neutral Newbie

Been pretty interested in this old baby Benz for quite some time, anyone got comments on it such as its reliability, performance(if any) and FC? Would consider only models from the early 90s not late 80s.

Much appreciated [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Is that the last batch of 190Es? Price-wise I reckon would def be higher than the 1.8, and anyway COE till 2011 suits me better. Wondering if the FC is really as bad as the claimed 8km/l, and can it run on 95 octane petrol?

hi. i am currently driving a 1993 190E 2.0 speical. But make sure u don't get those with sun-roof, coz they are imported from UK. FC is abt 9-10km/h (50%HW/50%Urban). 190E is a more sportier ride. The feeling driving it is definitely great! No other Japs made cars can compare with it. Sorry no offence. [:)] but the pickup is a little little slower only, coz it moves off in second gear.

cheers

Neutral Newbie

Cool bro, how long have you had the car? How is its reliability, are parts expensive? If it was possible to find a re-conditioned manual gearbox suitable for the car I would be extremely interested in getting one [sly]

Neutral Newbie

The 93' ones are out of my budget, will he leaving SG around 2009 anyway so a 2011 COE car is a safer buy for me too. One of the 93' 2L 190Es just got sold I noticed..

i had it for 3yrs, and the parts is cheaper than Japs cars, maintenance wise is also cheaper! No breakdown for me yet! trust me, a good & solid car. i think out of 20 cars, 1 car is Manual only. very hard to find manual gearbox.

now the prices for 190E is the cheapest, even cheaper than those COE Corollas & Civics. And it is more much better. Now its the time to get it. [thumbsup] but u got to think of Heavy Roadtax of $1160 half year & fuel $$$. [:)]

Been pretty interested in this old baby Benz for quite some time, anyone got comments on it such as its reliability, performance(if any) and FC? Would consider only models from the early 90s not late 80s.

Much appreciated smile.gif

I had two friends whom previously own this 190E, 1.8L, underpower and seem to have quite a fair bit of problemsshakehead.gif. Subsequently one of them change to the 2.0L (dunno why he so fancy about this 190E), it was so much better and problem freenod.gif! Just to share with you....wink.gif

Much appreciated [:)]

Go for the 190E 2.0 Special. The 1.8 is hopelss in power delivery and and high in FC.

Have driven both in 1993~1997 so 190E Special is still the one to go for.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks bros for the info! If I decide to go for the 190E will definitely get a 2.0 then [nod]

Road tax will be [knife] though

Yes, it will be. 1993 models will set you like 30% surcharge. How about going for new Japanese Cars? since the Coe is pretty low now. Good chance to grab one [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

I'll be leaving SG for studies in 09', so a COE car is a safer option, dont stand to lose as much when the time comes to sell/scrap it. Still considering Jap COE cars too though, but the 190E is just too irresistable to leave out, at a few grand more. Always been a fan of the baby Merc sedan [:)]

↡ Advertisement