Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
1539 replies to this topic | 2,007 praises

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

not only that, wanna dekit n sell oso difficult, end up in storeroom.. if car not performance don't bother; if performance car, y bother since oredi comes w it haha..

Haha true. Because my 18" volk racing without bbk look abit funny.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

if u may, downsize alloys oso good, help in fc, better comfort, supposedly better pickup due to slightly reduced weight of alloy, cheaper to replace tyres.. what say u? :)

FS

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

if u may, downsize alloys oso good, help in fc, better comfort, supposedly better pickup due to slightly reduced weight of alloy, cheaper to replace tyres.. what say u? :)

FS

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Wah no la then my Volk racing how? Anyway Volk racing 18" is light than stock 17".

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Wah no la then my Volk racing how? Anyway Volk racing 18" is light than stock 17".

then continue using till sell / scrap..

FS

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Zerstorer
  • Premium member
    Zerstorer
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Actually did you measure the weight? Your VR rims are 18x8.5j which may be considerably heavier than a decent 17x7j even if you compare forged vs cast rims. The stock 16" that Kia supplies looks like a lightweight design. Not sure about the 17".

Forged rims are lighter if you compare the same size, but it also depends on the individual design. Even among the forged VR range, TE37 CE28 are significantly lighter than other designs which may be for strength or stiffness.

Edited by Zerstorer, 19 April 2017 - 12:48 PM.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Actually did you measure the weight? Your VR rims are 18x8.5j which may be considerably heavier than a decent 17x7j even if you compare forged vs cast rims. The stock 16" that Kia supplies looks like a lightweight design. Not sure about the 17".

Forged rims are lighter if you compare the same size, but it also depends on the individual design. Even among the forged VR range, TE37 CE28 are significantly lighter than other designs which may be for strength or stiffness.

My VR weighs 7kg.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:13 PM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

my humble 2.5 cents - it will definitely be more "bitey" but question is do u really need it?

unless u have a heavily souped up ride or you are on a performance car (which should come with BBK as standard) - otherwise, it is really more for aesthetics purpose I feel (which definitely looks nice esp. if u are on big rims haha)

do note - go for reputable full original sets and not those mixed/match types (e.g. big no no to original brembo calipers with third party rotors). Brands u can consider are Brembo and AP Racing. For local brand, there is API Racing.

Yeah. Some go for BBK just for the looks. Cuz some people upsize the rims too big. Makes the stock brakes look small and weird looking. For me, I prefer to pick a similar rim size so the overall look looks good rather than just nice rims.

Trade in for a smaller size rim? Will look better also. Don't compare with stock la. Compare with a similar quality 17/16". The 17/16" should be lighter.

FourZero praised this

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:20 AM

Zerstorer
  • Premium member
    Zerstorer
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

My VR weighs 7kg.

That's amazingly light and not possible for a 18x8.5J rim with so many spokes. Was it measured or you got the figure from somewhere?

A 18x8J G25 with falken azenis 225/40/18 tyres is 41.4pounds(18.8kg) as measured in this post:

http://www.speedhunt...ys-project-gti/

The falken azenis 225/40/18 is known to be 25pounds.

That makes the G25 18x8J to be 41.4-26=16.4pounds (7.45kg)

8.5J will be maybe 200g more which brings it to about 7.65kg. which is in itself very good and more in line with other top 18x8 rims.
Nzy and James996 praised this

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Ya correct. I'm saying the weight without tyres.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Ya correct. I'm saying the weight without tyres.

So its closer to 8kg? Why don't try smaller rims? Will be lighter so better FC and look nicer.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

So its closer to 8kg? Why don't try smaller rims? Will be lighter so better FC and look nicer.

Already much lighter than stock rims mah.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

merc280v6
  • merc280v6
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Already much lighter than stock rims mah.

I went to smaller / forged rims <7 kg ... acceleration difference vs stock - its like night and day.

Physics: Turning moment on wheels is ~3 times (pi) the weight shed from wheels.

It is NOT 1:1!

That is, a 2kg reduction on each wheel = 2 x 4 x 3 = 24 kg equivalent reduction on the superimposed unsprung load that the translated torque has to act on the driven wheels!

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I went to smaller / forged rims <7 kg ... acceleration difference vs stock - its like night and day.

Physics: Turning moment on wheels is ~3 times (pi) the weight shed from wheels.

It is NOT 1:1!

That is, a 2kg reduction on each wheel = 2 x 4 x 3 = 24 kg equivalent reduction on the superimposed unsprung load that the translated torque has to act on the driven wheels!

Yup agree. But forged rims hard to find 17". Mostly 18" up.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

Wolfverine
  • Premium member
    Wolfverine
    4th Gear
    Author Image

A few of my favorite rims.

DSC00846_zpssbg32bvq.jpg

IMG_5567_zpso6ma0kg2.jpg

IMG_9242_zpsx7u7ujnk.jpg

yokechye praised this

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

yokechye
  • Premium member
    yokechye
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

A few of my favorite rims.

DSC00846_zpssbg32bvq.jpg

The Volvo one looks super easy to clean 😍

Edited by yokechye, 23 April 2017 - 07:47 AM.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Wolfverine
  • Premium member
    Wolfverine
    4th Gear
    Author Image

ha ha [laugh] . You are right on that!

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Simple 5 spoke design is my favourite too. Else rim cleaning is very difficult and also there is not much clearance to put your hand in to clean the inside of the rims.

yokechye praised this

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

yokechye
  • Premium member
    yokechye
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Simple 5 spoke design is my favourite too. Else rim cleaning is very difficult and also there is not much clearance to put your hand in to clean the inside of the rims.

Is there a good wheel brush to clean wheels and won't scratch that has this type of dual colour scheme, gloss black painted on the inside?

Edited by yokechye, 23 April 2017 - 01:15 PM.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

coolbluepica
  • coolbluepica
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Is there a good wheel brush to clean wheels and won't scratch that has this type of dual colour scheme, gloss black painted on the inside?

Yes there is rim brush from AutoGylm. Can buy from AutoBacs. Not cheap.

Back to Tyres and Rims  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Avant Garde M359

Avant Garde M359  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Fendytoot  |  Clutched

Avant Garde rimsAvant Garde rims

Got myself the matte black and like the design a lot. Gives the vehicle a much more expensive look and best of all, it is pretty light. Price was decent and it seems durable though it is still a bit too early to judge now still.

Avant Garde F230

Avant Garde F230  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Tictactoe  |  Clutched

The fantastic rims for my ride.

Fitted this on my MPV, and am I so glad I got this set of rims. My ride now looks fierce, with metallic shiny finish that makes it stands out at the same time. These rims are fairly light, hence improving my performance noticeably! Pickup is... » Read More

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Rim

Quick Reply

Tags: proud, your, rims, post, here

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users