Proud of your RIMS? Post it HERE!

Chneo1982

Haha bro. I know which shop you referring to in North Star building. Lousy old run down shop with cocky boss.

I don't need performance , and need the looks. Question is will the car lean forward during braking with BBK ? As the brake force distribution be different.

↡ Advertisement

Just a thot: if just changing bbk, will it cause stock parts like brake pump n hose to fail earlier since it may demand higher working pressure?

Just a thot: if just changing bbk, will it cause stock parts like brake pump n hose to fail earlier since it may demand higher working pressure?

Omg. Your thoughts worry me more. Lol. It may affect. Cause stock master cylinder is not designed to pump big calipers. That's why AD void warranty for entire brake system.

Haha bro. I know which shop you referring to in North Star building. Lousy old run down shop with cocky boss.

I don't need performance , and need the looks. Question is will the car lean forward during braking with BBK ? As the brake force distribution be different.

Normal street driving, it's ok I feel.

E brake, yes the car may "dive" more. That's where uprated suspension will help manage that.

That's why it doesn't mean the bigger and more bad ass, the better. Brake bias change, your brake cylinder may not be able to cope.

I think a 4 pot with 330mm slotted will suffice if you intend to leave the rear stock.

Hose seldom fail by itself, unless it gets cut.

Brake pump, I don't know. Maybe a more stringent preventive maintenance schedule will help. As in, change the pump at shorter intervals for peace of mind?

Omg. Your thoughts worry me more. Lol. It may affect. Cause stock master cylinder is not designed to pump big calipers. That's why AD void warranty for entire brake system.

It's only fair :)
  • Praise 2

if u able to zoom in at car component design, stock parts supposedly work in harmony with one another. imagine if u upgrade one or more components instead of entire system, other stock parts may be subject to more stress. just like if i put a seebay on person onto a so-so team for a project, somehow may affect harmony right? so same thing if u even change to SSBH alone, although i'd say even stock brake hose oredi very hard n lasting (have chance go under carriage feel the part when svc).

in view of such issues, i prefer to keep my car stock. anyway, when one expect performance, extra service / maintenance / replacement should be anticipated..

Brake pump, I don't know. Maybe a more stringent preventive maintenance schedule will help. As in, change the pump at shorter intervals for peace of mind?

wa change pump ah... ok ok... i nvr done such mods before but i dowan keep spending on car liao.. even ice i may forgo, at most chg spkr wo amp..

• Praise 1

Sigh. Think I better leave it stock. Less problems. Bbk replacement rotors are not cheap also. If it damage the master cylinder also not cheap. Depending on car model, easily cost $1k.

Sigh. Think I better leave it stock. Less problems. Bbk replacement rotors are not cheap also. If it damage the master cylinder also not cheap. Depending on car model, easily cost $1k.

not only that, wanna dekit n sell oso difficult, end up in storeroom.. if car not performance don't bother; if performance car, y bother since oredi comes w it haha..

not only that, wanna dekit n sell oso difficult, end up in storeroom.. if car not performance don't bother; if performance car, y bother since oredi comes w it haha..

Haha true. Because my 18" volk racing without bbk look abit funny.

if u may, downsize alloys oso good, help in fc, better comfort, supposedly better pickup due to slightly reduced weight of alloy, cheaper to replace tyres.. what say u? :)

if u may, downsize alloys oso good, help in fc, better comfort, supposedly better pickup due to slightly reduced weight of alloy, cheaper to replace tyres.. what say u? :)

Wah no la then my Volk racing how? Anyway Volk racing 18" is light than stock 17".

Wah no la then my Volk racing how? Anyway Volk racing 18" is light than stock 17".

Actually did you measure the weight? Your VR rims are 18x8.5j which may be considerably heavier than a decent 17x7j even if you compare forged vs cast rims. The stock 16" that Kia supplies looks like a lightweight design. Not sure about the 17".

Forged rims are lighter if you compare the same size, but it also depends on the individual design. Even among the forged VR range, TE37 CE28 are significantly lighter than other designs which may be for strength or stiffness.

Edited by Zerstorer

Actually did you measure the weight? Your VR rims are 18x8.5j which may be considerably heavier than a decent 17x7j even if you compare forged vs cast rims. The stock 16" that Kia supplies looks like a lightweight design. Not sure about the 17".

Forged rims are lighter if you compare the same size, but it also depends on the individual design. Even among the forged VR range, TE37 CE28 are significantly lighter than other designs which may be for strength or stiffness.

My VR weighs 7kg.

Twincharged

my humble 2.5 cents - it will definitely be more "bitey" but question is do u really need it?

unless u have a heavily souped up ride or you are on a performance car (which should come with BBK as standard) - otherwise, it is really more for aesthetics purpose I feel (which definitely looks nice esp. if u are on big rims haha)

do note - go for reputable full original sets and not those mixed/match types (e.g. big no no to original brembo calipers with third party rotors). Brands u can consider are Brembo and AP Racing. For local brand, there is API Racing.

Yeah. Some go for BBK just for the looks. Cuz some people upsize the rims too big. Makes the stock brakes look small and weird looking. For me, I prefer to pick a similar rim size so the overall look looks good rather than just nice rims.

Trade in for a smaller size rim? Will look better also. Don't compare with stock la. Compare with a similar quality 17/16". The 17/16" should be lighter.

• Praise 1

My VR weighs 7kg.

That's amazingly light and not possible for a 18x8.5J rim with so many spokes. Was it measured or you got the figure from somewhere?

A 18x8J G25 with falken azenis 225/40/18 tyres is 41.4pounds(18.8kg) as measured in this post:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/10/weight-style-rays-project-gti/

The falken azenis 225/40/18 is known to be 25pounds.

That makes the G25 18x8J to be 41.4-26=16.4pounds (7.45kg)

8.5J will be maybe 200g more which brings it to about 7.65kg. which is in itself very good and more in line with other top 18x8 rims.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Ya correct. I'm saying the weight without tyres.

So its closer to 8kg? Why don't try smaller rims? Will be lighter so better FC and look nicer.

↡ Advertisement