Surbo Turbo ?? try experience??

Les1971

normally cyclone is install in the pipe of the air intake..some put 2 cyclone inbetween.

will there be any diff if put juz one cyclone just before the trottle body?the swirling effect will go directly to the trottle body hence causing turbulence effect in the chambers..

Edited by Hilander4650
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

It's correct that absolute pressure different from intake valve and the ambient outside the filter is mostly fixed by induction of the piston.

But the pressure gradient distribution is what most designers of intake duct, filter, pods, vacuum tank, various induction vanes etc might be trying to alter in non-NA cars. Doesn't matters whether we agree or not, perhaps, the improved FC cruising at 3000-4,000rpm from surbo (and cyclone) users is what really matters.

Ideally, the designer will be a rich man when he can effectively transfer the suction (negative pressure) at the intake valve to the exposed surface of the air filter and sustains the flow momentum without rippling which TC and SC might be trying to achieve.

Edited by Hattee

Neutral Newbie

Fr NA car, flow rate fixed by induction cycle.

[reply ah... swirling extends the distance.. nv thought of that

but why is the flow rate the same?[/reply]

Do you think current dyno is capable of accurately measuring marginal power and torque incresae during the short transcient of acceleration?

Yeah, could be. Oh well, that's why I trust only one thing for any performance enhancement product: full fact sheet with dyno chart.

You'll be surprised how reluctant many of such product makers are to provide something as simple as that.

That's why reputed tuners, especially those for Conti's, would not hesitate to publish their dyno tunes.

What are you driving at? That Surbo gives transcient advantage that cannot be measured? If so, how can it be felt to be advantageous to the driver?

Anyway, if concern is that effect is only transcient during acceleration, a simple dentury dash measurement would suffice.

W210K, the short/long intake is also implemented in the Integra Type S/GSR, hence the K20A3 engine giving 160 bhp, about 5 bhp more at high rev compared to other Honda's using similar i-VTEC 2L engine.

On a tangent here... when u say dual length intake, are u refering to a dual length intake manifold runners or a set of 2 pipes going to the intake manifold.

Also since u're at it, could you please explain to me how the intake runner valve system might work on the 4AGE and CA18DET (i.e. there is a butterfly valve in the intake runners and it remains closed at low throttle/rpm and opens up at higher figures).

Neutral Newbie

Personally, improving my transcient response, economy and driveability should suffice. Perhaps, if cannot be dynoed might not necessary mean no improvement if I have understood how dyno makes measurement.

It's unfortunate that improving driveability sometimes got mixed up with raw performance and ended compromising good OEM refinements, comfort and reliability - probably too high a price if you know what I mean.

You r willing to spend couple of hundreds bucks to dynoe for Surbo improvement? Even Unichip management only yields extra couple of horses for stock auto cars. Wonder how will Surbo measures

Neutral Newbie

If you wanna clock 5 seconds from 0-10m strip. Surbo is the way to go. Go surbo !

almost got a scare, 0-100m in 5sec [laugh]

0-10m, run also faster than 5sec..

If surbo can help my turtle hit 100kph in 5 secs, count me in ! [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Surbo does not seem to be performance add-on though some manual car owners might claim. In fact can be worst off for the light footers. Perhaps, it can be a good fuel saver if cruising 3000-4000 up north.

Read about the "surbo kick" strongly advocated by its designer. If understand him correctly, it's ramming close to 5000rpm to build an adequately strong swirling inside the intake manifold and momentary closing the throttle to induce an unusual vacuum and then open it for a sudden gush of intake air. Even if the dyno cannot measure this "surbo kick", the ease of reaching Red line is certainly not acheiveble by most NA car. Of course, those proud owners who realised this kick often pride the swift overtaking of the faster cars.