What is VVT-i ?

Vit4wd

Neutral Newbie

im not sure how it really works but im pretty sure its the same technology as VVT-i.

i only know the valves in the engine will keep adjusting it's sitting position. it doesnt sit in juz 1 position as it will cause alot of wear on the valve.

the only difference is that different car make name their VVT-i technology differently.

Edited by Ahhan7
↡ Advertisement

I hope you are right cos I've just stumbled on another one 'VVTL-i '.

Wah lao eh.....how many versions are there in the market? And what does the 'L' stands for now??

Me now really 'Very Very Tu L%n Indeed'...a.k.a VVTL-I

Neutral Newbie

the L is 'lift'.

VVTL-i, Variable Valve Timing and Lift - Intelligence. In other words, i-VTEC.

AFAIK, while the contis have this tech, they only put it in their ultra high end cars which only perhaps 5% of Singaporeans can afford. Toyota is the first to 'mass market' this wonderful technology by putting it into the G9 in 1998/9. This puts pressure into all other makes and therefore they have all kinds of valve varying techniques now.

Which perhaps explains why the Corolla sells so well. Low end torque drivability + a fuel efficient engine = winning formula for city driving. Let's face it, in the early 2000s, the Corolla is the one to beat in terms of 1.5L/1.6L class fuel economy.

Regards,

JK

I read in MCF that the Octavia can achieve 13km/l, which is the same consumption figure as the Altis.

So how did the VVT-i in the Altis help in fuel economy?

Neutral Newbie

Right now, I agree there are many makes that can rival the Altis's economy. But I belive back in year the early 2000s, end 1999 era, the G9 is probably the most economical. While I don't attribute the entire fuel economy argument to the engine, I'm sure it does plays a part.

Regards,

JK

VVTL-i is only in a select few cars like the Corolla Compressor (or RunX), or Celica SS2s btw. It's a whole different class from the normal VVT-i engine that you see in the bread and butter Toyotas. Oh yes, it's also the same engine in the Lotus Elise.

The 2ZZ-GE engine is actually Yamaha-designed and Toyota-manufactured. The one in the Elise is different from the one in the SS2 though, since the Elise's engine is Lotus-tuned (flatter torque curve, higher peak bhp). The tuning is supposedly so well done that fitting any aftermarket part actually decreases performance.

the L is 'lift'.

AFAIK, while the contis have this tech, they only put it in their ultra high end cars which only perhaps 5% of Singaporeans can afford. Toyota is the first to 'mass market' this wonderful technology by putting it into the G9 in 1998/9. This puts pressure into all other makes and therefore they have all kinds of valve varying techniques now.

Which perhaps explains why the Corolla sells so well. Low end torque drivability + a fuel efficient engine = winning formula for city driving. Let's face it, in the early 2000s, the Corolla is the one to beat in terms of 1.5L/1.6L class fuel economy.

Regards,

JK

i thought the 'i' in i-VTEC means intake?.. [hur]

Neutral Newbie
the L is 'lift'.

Regards,

JK

siao ar?

corolla where got vvtl-i

zzzzz

only celica ss2, trd runx, corolla sport in europe use vvtl-i

corolla only got vvti, no lift.