How often to top up Octy Radiator Coolent ???

Alveron2001

Hi all

Noticed that our Octavia uses a Red/Pink colour coolent in the Radiator. How often do we need to top this ? Does it dry up often ? What do we top it up with ? Water can ?

The user's manual mentions adding water for temp use is ok but remember to bring it back to proper coolent mix asap. But it doesn't say what is the proper coolent mix...

If water is no good, does that mean I have to keep a can of pure coolant to top up whenever I detect that coolant level is low ?

A friend of mine drives a 2 year old Bora... I noticed that he only need to top up with water. He poured it into a white plastic globe/ball like container on the upper left of the engine bay.

I'm such a newbie... but the prev jap cars I drive only need to put good ol cheepo water...

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Many ppl think that coolant is the one that brings down the temperature. Actually water alone is the cooling substance and the COOLANT is the one that prevents corrosion of the radiator. This is something I learnt from the VAG mechanics. If you not kiasu then water alone is good to go. Once awhile servicing just add coolant lar. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

The Coolant VW used is G12 Plus. Normally, when after flushing the radiator, a bottle os these will be poured in and add water until the max level is reached [;)] ...

Thanks V much to everyone for clearing that up....

This is my understanding from all teh advice....

For regular topping up, add water can liao.

When it's time for annual servicing to clear the radiator then I will need to add a new can of coolant to mix in with regular tap water...

Cheers ! [thumbsup]

I've never top up my Octy coolant since I've got the car in year 2001!!

Being a closed loop cycle, evaporation effect seemed to be quite minimal.

Workshop say no need to top up unless drop to dangerously low level.

don't need to top up, only did it once ......... only time when there was a leak from a cracked connector (probably accident related)

Many ppl think that coolant is the one that brings down the temperature. Actually water alone is the cooling substance and the COOLANT is the one that prevents corrosion of the radiator. This is something I learnt from the VAG mechanics. If you not kiasu then water alone is good to go. Once awhile servicing just add coolant lar. [:)]

water alone is not enough as water boils at 100 degree C, and turns to steam, which is useless as a cooling agent. Therefore Coolant (ethylene glycol ) is added to raise the boiling point of water and to lower the freezing point of water. There are additives in the coolant that prevent corrosion.

therefore, the VAG mechanics ........sigh.........

Edited by Fluffy

It also increases the boiling point and (I might be wrong here) also increases the specific heat capacity.

Maybe if can get a thermostat with higher coolant set temperature, can get more output from the engine. [sly]

believe my coolant is green, but the colour does not matter unless it is rust in the water. The coolant is to prevent rust. Water is to help bring down the temperature. As for topping up, generally water is good enough, for optimum result, use deminirise water will be ideal.

Hardly top up, I have marked a line on it when it is cold, and observed it before I drive off, it helps to tell whether does it need to top up. If so, and a lot, means there is a leakage.

Edited by Fortress

Skodarr here is correct. VW uses BASF's Glysantin 12 often abbreviated as G-12.

G-12 is silicate free antifreeze. This means that VW coolant systems DO NOT LIKE silicates from the traditional green antifreeze from yesteryears. To do so will result in the infamous "snot of death".

It is a pure OAT antifreeze/coolant. No phosphates either unlike Toyota's LLC.

No, you cannot get away with using MB or BMW coolants because those are G-05. G-05 has some silicates, has some phosphates, has some nitrites and some amines. Though all in reduced levels, they are not for VW engine cooling systems.

If you get the original VW coolant, you might choke on the price. Might be made of liquid gold or something.

A compatible no phosphate, silicate, amine or nitrite antifreeze easily available will be Prestone's 5/150 or Caltex (Chevron) LLC. These are pure OAT antifreezes.

Finally, do not mix antifreezes. The color doesn't count. It is the chemistry. Pure OAT ones do not like other stuff with it.

For more info, see this post in the Maintenance folder: http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi...1304582#1304582

Edited by Genie47

Turbocharged

So can i top up the coolant just using distilled water? Somehow or rather today when i started up the car, an indicator light came on. It was the engine temp blinking.. whats the diagnoise for this?

Neutral Newbie

If your coolant still have colour (some pink, some blue, some green), top up with just water should be fine. If the colour turns very pale, it is time to change up the coolant.

If you discover some vaporization residues around your coolant cap, and your coolant water keep often needs to top up, high chance there is an escape through the cap which may need to be replaced.

↡ Advertisement