Replace spark plugs

Hlkh

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Observed something very interesting.

9.5:1 compression ratio, manual specs min 95oct.

heat range 16 OWS plugs was causing increased FC, running on 95oct,

when on 92oct totally has no power to accelerate.

swapped to my old heat range 20 triple plat spitfire plugs, FC improved, and when i switched to 92oct, it ran as well as 95oct with minimal changes to FC & Power..

OWS plugs sucks (done ~40k km) or is the plugs too hot? car rated for 16 or 20 plugs.

is using colder plugs a way to use lower oct fuel?

anyway i'm happy enjoying a slightly cheaper motoring now [:)]

Edited by Cyberet
↡ Advertisement

The fuel does not determine the spark plug heat range. It is the engine. Unless you have modified the car extensively like turbocharging, using different heat range spark plugs will bring about some weird results.

Neutral Newbie

so i guess early failure or faulty spark plugs is the cause of increased FC.. so much for the 160k km claim [laugh]

maybe need to regap [:|]

(edited)

Speaking of regapping plugs. I just got the plug gauge and gapping tool from Yeobh.

Will be needing this when CNG comes! sly.gif

Experience has shown that CNG not only needs greater ignition advance to be good, you need smaller gap sizes for plugs. That's where the gapping tool comes in. Theoretically, I need a gap of 0.9mm or 0.018in compared to the 1.1mm I have now.

For more info, check this bulletin by NGK Australia: http://www.ngkspark.com.au/pages/bulletins/T92-1.htm

LPG or CNG is almost the same. They are both gases as they enter the combustion chamber and would have similar characteristics.

So theoretically, the hotter your burn temperatures from your fuel, a colder plug is needed.

RON92 to RON98. They all burn the same except that the higher ones resist detonation.

Edited by Genie47

Neutral Newbie

ah.. ordering from yeobh also [laugh]

then i'll snoop around for those sparks that other customers change at my regular workshop [sly]

hmm.. colder plugs + reduction of spark gap [:)]

Yes, you are right. In fact i also recommended one heat range colder plug for my bro dual fuel Mit Magna. The 0.1mm gapping down is not necessary if you are using fine wire iridium or platinum plugs due to lower voltage required for this type of plugs.

Twincharged

quick question ... how much do w/s or any place charge for labor for changing spark plugs ?

• Praise 1

quick question ... how much do w/s or any place charge for labor for changing spark plugs ?

The cheapest deal I got here is S$10 (for changing 4 pcs.) but I still find it's day robbery :grin:

• Praise 2

just go buy the spark plug tool. DIY. labor free. Changing spark plugs is easy for normal jap models. But it nissan than i suggest you get workshop to do it.

• Praise 2

just go buy the spark plug tool. DIY. labor free. Changing spark plugs is easy for normal jap models. But it nissan than i suggest you get workshop to do it.

Subaru also fleaking hard.

Not to mention jazz and fit.

The old type worst. Got 8 .

4 at the rear

Subaru also fleaking hard.

Not to mention jazz and fit.

The old type worst. Got 8 .

4 at the rear

er.. how come jazz and fit hard leh? 

Twincharged

i bought before ... and it broke when i was changing the plug ... took me a while to remove the broken part of the tool .... after that, i don't wan to do it anymore.

maybe i'll just buy a set and wait for my next servicing then tell the w/s to change for me ... maybe pay more lor ...

er.. how come jazz and fit hard leh? 

its at the very rear , need to remove alot of parts,

like u compare civic 1.6/1.8 to 2.0 , totally different , take 10x the amount of times lol

• Praise 1

Yes correct my Nissan Sylphy workshop quote me $240 for 4 pcs of original spark plug replacement include labour.

Must remove the manifold and many other parts quite tedious. 

• Praise 2

Yes correct my Nissan Sylphy workshop quote me $240 for 4 pcs of original spark plug replacement include labour.

dont buy a nissan for your next ride.  so ex to just replace the spark plugs alone.

its at the very rear , need to remove alot of parts,

like u compare civic 1.6/1.8 to 2.0 , totally different , take 10x the amount of times lol

what parts need to remove? as long as it is not manifold than i think shouldn't be that tough i guess.  [laugh]

Wa lao, which idiot design the engine? Remove manifold to access plugs!?! Jeez
  • Praise 2

nissan lor. is a stupid design la. thats why i never like nissan cars.

Twincharged
(edited)

Yup the intake manifold. It’s quite a pain.

Google hr15de engine spark plug replacement.

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement