Driving up to Kuantan

Eddymerckx

Neutral Newbie

Hi All!

I'm thinking of driving up to Cherating, Kuantan during the school holidays in June. Any bros can share his experience/knowledge of the routes and timings required? Also, roadmarks to look out for...

Much appreciated :)

↡ Advertisement

first, buy a good map of malaysia... then,

for the shortest route - take the NS highway, exit at the 2nd Yong Peng exit (there's 2).

After the toll, you will reach a 3 point junction. Turn left, on the rural roads, and follow the direction to Segamat. Once you reach Segamat, follow the direction to Kuantan.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I thought shortest route is via the coastal highway? Go up to Kota Tinggi, then Mersing, Rompin then all the way up to Kuantan? Thats the route most ppl recommended me.. But I was told the 1) road condition is marginal 2) Jams take time to clear cos the road is narrow...

Anyway, thanks for the tips!

Edited by Eddymerckx

i tried that route too..... the getting to kota tinggi part itself takes about 2~3 hours, depending on who you have ahead of you. [shakehead]

(edited)

If stopover at KL or PJ, take the new highway. Should be quite fast with this way. Go up NSE, exit 214 to go up to Damansara via the Damansara-Puchong Expressway, go like you are going towards Genting/Ipoh but you go towards Karak. From Karak enter the new Karak highway.

Lets see, 2.5-3hrs to Damansara then 2.5hrs to Kuantan. 5-6hrs total but much easier drive but pay a lot on tolls. I guess a stopover at 1 Utama or Damansara for shopping or stay over is good then continue next day to Kuantan. Take it slow an easy.

The people at VT says the only RR is at Maran. Pretty big too.

Actually no need map. Just need to go follow signs if taking the tolled expressways.

post-81-1149437272_thumb.png

Edited by Genie47

Try to avoid the costal road... it is very scenic but it is only single lane per direction.... so if u suay suay kenna heavy trucks in front!!! Good luck...

I used the NS highway... turned out at Yong Peng... via Segamat and on to Kuantan.

yup the 100% highway route seems more certain but kindof roundabout if you don't intend to sightsee in KL.

imagine if you're coming back from kuantan, you take KL highway, another car take Segamat route. 2.5 hrs later first car stop for makan at machap stop, while you're just reaching.... KL!

The idea is not to sightsee in KL but visit 1 Utama, Damansara and PJ.

Anyway, wife intends to go to stopover at Avillion in PD before heading back. So have to come down through this way.

I had gone up to Club Med Cherating twice last year and I took the coastal road.

My preference is this coastal road as it is very scenic (you get to drive close to the sea near Kuantan) and certain road bends are fun to drive. There are times you may be the only car on the road, and this makes it a stress free drive.

My advice is, if you have a car that has power to surge forward for overtaking (safely), take the coastal road.

If not, you may get stuck behind lorry for a while.

EH? This one is called ECE or E28.

In Malaysia also got BKE. Butterworth-Kulim Expressway. laugh.gif In Malay it is Lebuhraya Butterworth-Kulim or officially E15.

I'm now trying to get familiar with them. Their expressway system is a little confusing. They are managed by different companies. I know the ELITE (E6) is linked to LDP (E11) via ELITE's exit 604 USJ. ELITE is linked by NSE (E2) via exit 214 Nilai Utara. NSE (E2) is linked to Seremban-Port Dickson Expressway (E29) via exit 219 Port Dickson.

I'm heading to Kijal next week so I have to scan online documents on how to get to Karak which is the beginning of E28 from Kepong which is the end of the LDP (E11). So far in VT, wild_orchid's instructions look very clear.

Since you mentioned the Yong Peng Utara exit (241). On my way back to PD, I might try a different but more direct route then. How does this look to you?

From Kijal come down along Highway 3, get to Highway 2 and then Highway 12 (Tun Razak Federal Highway) at Gambang just like you are heading to Segamat. Then from Highway 12, turn to Highway 11 (Serting-Bandar Tun Abdul Razak) at Perantau Damai. From Highway 11, get to Highway 10 (Temerloh-Gemas). Then to Highway 13 (Juasseh-Bahau) heading towards Seremban via Highway 9 (Tampin-Karak) towards Highway 51 (Seremban-Kuala Pilai). Once in Seremban, get to PD via the Seremban-PD Expressway (E29). scholar.gif

Now I just have to hope there are no trucks in my way. sweatdrop.gif This trip will be on mid-week Wed.

(edited)

alamak..... no map difficult to comment lah.... he he

in the meantime, anyway if you're taking the coastal route, one very important point drivers must note is from rompin junction to pekan(the town before Kuantan) there are NO PETROL STATIONS!

many brudders caught out before, so make sure after rompin got more than 1/2 tank!!!

and this stretch too not as scenic as you would expect....very open, no shade, and most ways the beach view blocked by trees. only from kuantan to trengganu then you get unblocked seaview.

Edited by Zizou

Not going via Rompin. I'm going to PD from Kuantan.

No map. OK actually very simple. I take the Highway 12 like going down to Segamat but instead of going all the way down I make a turn into Highway 11. All these federal highways got its own Wikipedia page!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_Federal_Roads_system

The route you mentioned from Segamat to Kuantan is actually called the Tun Razak Highway. Highway 12 from Segamat then links to Highway 2 to Kuantan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tun_Razak_Highway

I combine the Wikipedia pages with maps from JKR.

http://www.jkr.gov.my/RoadMap/

Of course combine with the PLUS NSE map as well.

No need to buy maps. scholar.gif

Actually, on hindsight, I might keep it even simpler! Looking at the E28 map, I just exit at the Temerloh Interchange and come down to Negri Sembilan from there and into Seremban and then PD.

↡ Advertisement