All about springs and shocks(dampers)

Wrxblue

How about better shocks coupled with stock springs?

This combination will give you firm and stable ride but good comfort level unlike the coils.

Possible. Anything but coils again!

↡ Advertisement

Heh. Likely the new 135i once the new model comes. Think the M-Sport versions, stock should be stiff enough.

Good choice!!!

If it's non electronic dampers, you will likely get one made by either Monroe, KYB or BWI (former Delphi)

If it's electronic dampers, you will get one made by SACHS

Mechanical dampers are not that diffuclt to maintain and cheap. coilovers are not available widely yet. But SACHS already has a kit 841500000441 (axle load FA 1095kg, RA 1280kg), 841500000300 (axle load FA 960kg, RA 1230kg) But I doubt it will be cheap since it's upside down monotube, preload adjustable lowering 25mm-50mm and single way damping adjustable. The 2 ways and 4 way dampers are way too expensive to consider. Electronic dampers can last as long as it does not leak. But when it leaks or get damaged, you will have to pay a bomb to replace it. However, the ride will be sweet with the electronic dampers.

Good choice!!!

If it's non electronic dampers, you will likely get one made by either Monroe, KYB or BWI (former Delphi)

If it's electronic dampers, you will get one made by SACHS

Mechanical dampers are not that diffuclt to maintain and cheap. coilovers are not available widely yet. But SACHS already has a kit 841500000441 (axle load FA 1095kg, RA 1280kg), 841500000300 (axle load FA 960kg, RA 1230kg) But I doubt it will be cheap since it's upside down monotube, preload adjustable lowering 25mm-50mm and single way damping adjustable. The 2 ways and 4 way dampers are way too expensive to consider. Electronic dampers can last as long as it does not leak. But when it leaks or get damaged, you will have to pay a bomb to replace it. However, the ride will be sweet with the electronic dampers.

Aiyah, too early to talk. Waiting for the F20 facelift to be unveiled.

Also very heart pain to drop about a quarter million on a stupid hatchback. That's entry level Ferrari money most other places in the world.

Edited by Ake109

Aiyah, too early to talk. Waiting for the F20 facelift to be unveiled.

Also very heart pain to drop about a quarter million on a stupid hatchback. That's entry level Ferrari money most other places in the world.

that's sad... luckily i have my bf to play the part of my personal driver. hee...

Possible. Anything but coils again!

The brands which I have used on all my previous rides are Tanabe, BC and Sachs.

I would go back again for Tanabe and Sachs.

I personally find BC quite harsh.

The brands which I have used on all my previous rides are Tanabe, BC and Sachs.

I would go back again for Tanabe and Sachs.

I personally find BC quite harsh.

hmm.. how do you find your sach

hmm.. how do you find your sach

Let's just say: It is one of the worthy mods that I would be investing for my current ride and future cars. [thumbsup]

Might be what the mechanic was trying to tell me in his limited English. He was saying , this is as high as you can go without going over the coilover 'normal' spec.*

*which still lowered my car by about 15-20mm from stock.

By right if at full droop, i.e. car jacked up and wheels off the ground, if the preload springs are completely compressed you do NOT need them. Just take them out if that's the case. But if at full droop it's not fully compressed then likely you need it to keep the main spring from shifting.

I pump 230kpa. Tyre size is 225/65/18".

The workshop told me already quite soft at 15% stiffness. That means 3 clicks. Cannot go any softer. But still quite stiff.

I checked that brand you are using. It is a buy in part from BC (known is bor-chuann) or D2 though the former is more likely. Not known if they are certified in anyway. So we don't know if the development and production process is reliable. and being a buy in part, we are unsure if the part undergoes a proper purchased goods inspection process to ensure the quality of the buy in parts. They come with a TüV germany certificate for sale on the road. But that does not mean it's quality. It just means they fulfill the basic requirements of road clearance. Something like going to get an LTA road worthy certificate because lowering too much is forbidden in Europe. A real definition of quality is a proper iso9001 and ts16949 and vda6 (for germany)

In short, I will never ever buy this. I don't even know if it works or not. I will still stick to reputable brands like KYB, Showa, Tokica, SACHS, KW, Bilstein and the likes. And according to the industry expert, bc makes many of their internal parts similarly. The valving system etc...The main difference is its outer casing that helps to mount it on different cars. So don't be suprised that your murano coilover has a similar part to a sedan's damping forces, or same spring as another SUV. seriously... how can anyone develop a part that way??? pengz...

I checked that brand you are using. It is a buy in part from BC (known is bor-chuann) or D2 though the former is more likely. coilover has a similar part to a sedan's damping forces, or same spring as another SUV. seriously... how can anyone develop a part that way??? pengz...

From what I understand, D2 doesn't make their own shocks, it is subcontracted out to BC. I am not even sure if D2 has their own specs for BC to toll manufacture of if they are just identical kits with a different sticker and colours.

http://www.bcec.com.tw/history/Certificate.html

From what I understand, D2 doesn't make their own shocks, it is subcontracted out to BC. I am not even sure if D2 has their own specs for BC to toll manufacture of if they are just identical kits with a different sticker and colours.

http://www.bcec.com.tw/history/Certificate.html

That is the problem for D2. If it is a full purchase for the part, D2 will have to run a process to ensure the purchased parts' specifications are specified and a process to ensure the part conformity. This is an outdated copy of the certificate. Do you think they have an updated one?

That is the problem for D2. If it is a full purchase for the part, D2 will have to run a process to ensure the purchased parts' specifications are specified and a process to ensure the part conformity. This is an outdated copy of the certificate. Do you think they have an updated one?

Duuno and frankly don't care. I wouldn't use either BC or D2 anyway. I paid more for my KW because I kiasi.

• Praise 1

I am driving a second toyota rush around 8yrs old. i personally find my car too bouncy for comfort. think this shocks are due for change though. i also read some stiffener thing but dun dare to go ahead without reading more on this topic.

To replace aborber for another 1.7years of usage, i feel little "bo hua" leh...

any expert can advise? many thks

I am driving a second toyota rush around 8yrs old. i personally find my car too bouncy for comfort. think this shocks are due for change though. i also read some stiffener thing but dun dare to go ahead without reading more on this topic.

To replace aborber for another 1.7years of usage, i feel little "bo hua" leh...

any expert can advise? many thks

Stiffener is bullcrap. It's a piece of rubber block that sit between the springs so your springs become harder. The right way to stiffen the car is to stiffen the SHOCKS not the SPRINGS. Notwithstanding the various other safety implications of that small block of rubber.

You can always get replacement shocks, and dekit before you scrap to sell to other owners of a Rush. If you buy good quality stuff, it will always have resale value. If you buy kaput ones, then it's not even worth the labour taking it in and out.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 3

Stiffener is bullcrap. It's a piece of rubber block that sit between the springs so your springs become harder. The right way to stiffen the car is to stiffen the SHOCKS not the SPRINGS. Notwithstanding the various other safety implications of that small block of rubber.

You can always get replacement shocks, and dekit before you scrap to sell to other owners of a Rush. If you buy good quality stuff, it will always have resale value. If you buy kaput ones, then it's not even worth the labour taking it in and out.

Not allowed to 'praise' 5 points to your post. So I praise you here.

hehehe... praised for you liao... becoz i agree with Bro Detach8

do all you want but be safe...

Not allowed to 'praise' 5 points to your post. So I praise you here.

Got one pattern even more stupid. Cut spring to lower the car, but become too soft so add stiffener!

Cut springs + stiffener = .......

↡ Advertisement