All about springs and shocks(dampers)

Wrxblue

I am driving a second toyota rush around 8yrs old. i personally find my car too bouncy for comfort. think this shocks are due for change though. i also read some stiffener thing but dun dare to go ahead without reading more on this topic.

To replace aborber for another 1.7years of usage, i feel little "bo hua" leh...

any expert can advise? many thks

Think safety. Your stopping distance maybe compromised.

Edited by Kklee
↡ Advertisement

Not allowed to 'praise' 5 points to your post. So I praise you here.

LOL thanks. I also tried to praise you on a few occasions but was denied.

an absolute... NO! to this route of cutting springs...

whoever does this is thinking of saving money... think again... save money but not safe...

Got one pattern even more stupid. Cut spring to lower the car, but become too soft so add stiffener!

Cut springs + stiffener = .......

Hi guys i m ben newbie here. Currently i m drivin a TS and would like to lower down my car as in like heard from ppl say suspension muz cut or watever...does anyone of ur got any good n reasonal price to do it??pls share tks

Hi guys i m ben newbie here. Currently i m drivin a TS and would like to lower down my car as in like heard from ppl say suspension muz cut or watever...does anyone of ur got any good n reasonal price to do it??pls share tks

Suspension is never cheap. Don't cut your springs.

Ok tks for ur words. But beside tis, is ther any other way to make it low budgetly...i not for racing...lol jus wanna make it look nicer

Actually no cheap way. If you buy lowering springs, you also need to change shocks to match.

If you buy cheap coils (those 1k+ type), false savings because they might wear out or give you problems (e.g. noise within 1 year).

Unless your shocks are already worn out and you need to change it anyway, otherwise, just stick with your current set-up.

You can also put bigger wheels to make it 'look lower' but that comes with it's own set of problems and limitations. Also not 'cheap'.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/products/listing.php?BRD=NuteQ

I came across this Shock brand, NuteQ from Autosaver website.

anyone heard abt this brand? it seems its a local SG company producing it.

Anyway, I have some problems with my ride

My ride is becoming harder. whenever i go over small potholes or some gaps on roads, my car goes "thud" hard and the car rattles. Its like there is no bounce at all. And also go over those speed white lines on road, the car just go thud thud thud.... no bouncing feeling.

my steering also vibrates now.

is this the shock problem or the spring?

Got one pattern even more stupid. Cut spring to lower the car, but become too soft so add stiffener!

Cut springs + stiffener = .......

And that was one of the most stupid things I ever heard or read too.

So dangerous too.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/products/listing.php?BRD=NuteQ

I came across this Shock brand, NuteQ from Autosaver website.

anyone heard abt this brand? it seems its a local SG company producing it.

Anyway, I have some problems with my ride

My ride is becoming harder. whenever i go over small potholes or some gaps on roads, my car goes "thud" hard and the car rattles. Its like there is no bounce at all. And also go over those speed white lines on road, the car just go thud thud thud.... no bouncing feeling.

my steering also vibrates now.

is this the shock problem or the spring?

What tyres are you on, what car, what tyre pressure?

WAH!my thread still alive after almost 9yrs ah! THANKS GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT! and also all the experts that showed up to answer queries, be it all diff types of people like "male pretend to be female, one persons with 2 accounts etc" haha but it's all for a good deed! Helping others.

Neutral Newbie

Thank you for sharing this article, it is very informative.

However, I do have a question regarding coilovers.

I have a set of entry level API racing RS coilovers on my car which I bought 2 years ago. The ride is quite stiff and some times unbearable on certain stretches of bumpy roads.

Is it true that if I purchase a more expensive set of coils, for example KW V3, the ride will be less stiff/bumpy due to better spring rate<->dampener coupling?

Or is the result the same no matter what coils I buy?

I am thinking of changing my coils to more expensive ones.

Thank you for sharing this article, it is very informative.

However, I do have a question regarding coilovers.

I have a set of entry level API racing RS coilovers on my car which I bought 2 years ago. The ride is quite stiff and some times unbearable on certain stretches of bumpy roads.

Is it true that if I purchase a more expensive set of coils, for example KW V3, the ride will be less stiff/bumpy due to better spring rate<->dampener coupling?

Or is the result the same no matter what coils I buy?

I am thinking of changing my coils to more expensive ones.

Most high-end coilovers allow you to adjust damping and lowering separately.

If you want less stiff, you can go for KW street comfort or Bilstein B16 Comfort range available to certain models

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

With these comfort coils, my car will still have the lowered (2 fingers [:)] ) look and less stiff?

I wonder how they make it less stiff since the suspension travel is still restricted.

Does anyone know the prices of these comfort coils?

Most high-end coilovers allow you to adjust damping and lowering separately.

If you want less stiff, you can go for KW street comfort or Bilstein B16 Comfort range available to certain models

↡ Advertisement