Chery QQ reviews ONLY

Glyuen

Neutral Newbie

the car unable to change gear properly. the engine indicator light will be ON and I can only move at gear 1 or 2. it will go on neutral on its own and the car will be really jerky when gear change. RPM will also revv during gear change.

↡ Advertisement

the car unable to change gear properly. the engine indicator light will be ON and I can only move at gear 1 or 2. it will go on neutral on its own and the car will be really jerky when gear change. RPM will also revv during gear change.

"the engine indicator light will be ON and I can only move at gear 1 or 2." not forgetting that dreadful beep...

I think the problem is the same as mine but mine only became obvious after 1.5 years of driving. In the end, I scrapped the car 1 year before the COE due as the cost to replace outweighs the bank settlement (it's actually cheaper to pay the bank than to replace).

You can check with your dealer if they will replace it for you under the warranty but the selespeed is more like an electronic component rather than the physical gearbox. It controls the gear change. When it goes bonkers, it really goes.. You might be able to stretch and classify it together with the gearbox since the replacement is for the gearbox as well. That's why so expensive..

How long more for your QQ? Worth to go through the hassle for the replacement?

Neutral Newbie

yes what i heard is the selespeed is not part of the gearbox. so im not sure if they able to cover under the warranty. another issue i'm facing is to proof to the dealer mechanic when i'm actually facing this gear shifting problem.

because the problem comes every 1 week or 2. then i will try to drive it around to so called stabilise the RPM and gear movement till the engine indicator light goes off on its own.

usually may take about 30mins or more to drive around at gear 1 or 2 till it goes back to normal again. Because the first time i faced this issue, i send for towing to the dealer workshop, the next day they told me there is nothing wrong with the car. So its not easy for me to explain the stressful condition when the car is having a problem.

My QQ COE expires in Oct 2019. so it still has quite some time to go before scrapping :(

yes what i heard is the selespeed is not part of the gearbox. so im not sure if they able to cover under the warranty. another issue i'm facing is to proof to the dealer mechanic when i'm actually facing this gear shifting problem.

because the problem comes every 1 week or 2. then i will try to drive it around to so called stabilise the RPM and gear movement till the engine indicator light goes off on its own.

usually may take about 30mins or more to drive around at gear 1 or 2 till it goes back to normal again. Because the first time i faced this issue, i send for towing to the dealer workshop, the next day they told me there is nothing wrong with the car. So its not easy for me to explain the stressful condition when the car is having a problem.

My QQ COE expires in Oct 2019. so it still has quite some time to go before scrapping :(

It starts off like this, then the occurrences will be more frequent as time goes by. Your condition is not the worst yet but sadly that day will come eventually..

I didn't have warranty to fall back on so it was easier for me to make a decision. It will not be easy to prove the problem to your dealer since you can't tell when it will happen, and when it becomes too often, chances are the warranty would have lapsed..

Is your car on hire purchase or paid in full? Do some calculations and see how much is your paper value now.

Did the mechanic also tell you that the replacement will not have warranty from their supplier? Not sure about now but that was one of the main factors that made me decide not to get the replacement. What if the replacement fails before your COE expires? Replace again?

Neutral Newbie

oh yes you're right. I didn't ask about whether if there is any warranty from the supplier if i were to get a replacement for the selespeed.

my car is on higher purchase. still servicing the bank loan currently. And my car is only driven for 3 mths or so. I actually changed quite a fair bit of components in the car actually.

Timing belt, water pump, coolant hose, Throttle, new tyres and 14" rims. so i'm in a point of no return. If I were to consider selling back now after just 3mths, its gonna be a complete loss for me :(

oh yes you're right. I didn't ask about whether if there is any warranty from the supplier if i were to get a replacement for the selespeed.

my car is on higher purchase. still servicing the bank loan currently. And my car is only driven for 3 mths or so. I actually changed quite a fair bit of components in the car actually.

Timing belt, water pump, coolant hose, Throttle, new tyres and 14" rims. so i'm in a point of no return. If I were to consider selling back now after just 3mths, its gonna be a complete loss for me :(

throttle? FYI, the brake fluid pump and valve are also likely to fail due to their strange designs.. I changed them one after another and only realise they were leaking when I couldn't feel my brakes biting..

2 options I think:

1. Continue to drive and hope you are able to proof the fault to your dealer (and hope they will accept that is gearbox fault).

2. "Long pain might as well make it short pain"... I hope you don't have to take this option but from what I experienced, AMT is prone to suffer from this fate..

You mentioned 3 months, but I have came across a young man who was trying to sell his QQ after driving for only a month! His QQ has more owners than the car's age.. Somehow he managed to sell but that car was again up for sale within the same year.. :dizzy:

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the advice bro. But I think I will still continue to drive my QQ for some time. Planning to change the selespeed and hope the issue will resolve then :)

Try :

Century Auto Express & Trading
25E, Ground Floor, Jalan Dato Abdullah Tahir, 80300, Johor Bahru, Johor
Malaysia

Near York Hotel.

For General Svc, Aircon Repair, Engine Mount, Suspension, O2sensor replacement, coolant pump replacement.

You can bring your own parts.

u have the JB workshop address which you frequent?

No, I don't. Just wanted some feedback on Vertex automobile as I am keen in a SEAT model which they intend to bring in.

vertex bringing in SEAT? I noticed their showroom is undergoing renovation. Suspect they bringing in a new brand of car and dropping off Chery since it's not selling.

They did bring in the old SEAT Toledo in the form of the Chery A168.

My experience with them is horrible. A lot of customers bang table to get warranty claim. Gave up on their warranty and went JB for servicing.

↡ Advertisement