Chery QQ reviews ONLY

Glyuen

Neutral Newbie

I drove the QQ last week. For a 800cc car, it is pretty good. Quite satisfied with the ride as I am not a speed demon. Just wanted a economical transport. Only complaint are the soft seats (might replace with leather) and some little gaps at the console. Gear is slightly sticky but I have no issues with it. In fact, I like it cause it sort of give me the power of control (I must be weird). Anyway, it is within my lowly budget. However, I do love the special little features like power windows all round, electric mirrors and folded back seats (taking up golf since marina public course is open) for my used clubs. Thinking of the orange colour as I might dress it up like the one in the showroom. Have to check out the cost first. Until then, safe driving to all and remember your own safety is in your hands and not the car. Cheers!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

good enough and thanks for the time and effect put in...

the other thread has become and downgraded to some human attacking thread.. that is real degrading to MCF.. speaks what kind of person one MCF member is... Personally human attacking on another MCF member, who only dui si bu dui ren... [thumbsdown] From what i see that MCF member who human attacked people is a real sore loser.. Hope the moderators and he can knock some sense in himself.. Coz only losers would human attack on others... I need to run for my meeting..

Let's keep this thread clean.. i think no more posting of whatever other irrelevant comments and posts... The other thread has become a grunting ground..

Take care and God Bless.

[thumbsup]

No personal attack please, why bring up the same issue again here? We're trying to keep thing clean here and you started it again.

Regards,

• Praise 1

After reading this thread, I feels like going down and test drive one myself.

May I know where is Chery Showroom?

Its at this Techno park. The front is directly facing Chevrolet in Ubi. You can see it quite prominently along Eunos Link.

For the exact add i think you need to do a search.

(edited)

posted in the ST Life! section today...

==================================

Bite this Chery?

It's cheap: just over $30,000. It's easy on the gas: 4.2 litres per 100km. But it handles like a bumper car. Will Singapore buyers bite?

By Christopher Tan, Senior Correspondent

WHEN Hyundai made its debut here 25 years ago, it did so with a car called Pony. Hyundai was virtually an unknown car brand back then, which made the Pony a horse with no name.

Sorry for the reference to that baby boomer hit. I figured if you remember the Pony, you would remember America. The soft rock group, not the land of the free. Never mind.

Anyway, the Pony was nasty. The only car that equalled it was the Lada Samara, a thinly-disguised Russian loaf machine that arrived a decade later.

In a case of history repeating itself, we are now confronted with the first China-made car to land here, the Chery QQ. Scoff not, as carmakers everywhere are prone to corny names for their products - Concerto, Bluebird, Sylphy, Phaeton, Bora, Ghibli, to name a few.

Besides, its name is the least of the QQ's problems. Essentially, the car has several years of catching up to do. Its body betrays shutlines wide enough to hold magazines; noise insulation is so bad that it may be quieter to drive with the windows down; and fit and finish must have been alien concepts to its plant workers.

The QQ operates like an amusement park bumper car. Its pedals are spongy, its brakes are squishy and its steering is disembodied.

Its gear changes are almost as vague as those you would experience in an old pick-up truck. And its doors shut with the hollowness of a biscuit tin.

Its sub-litre engine has weak low-end torque, and its transmission ratios do not make for relaxed highway cruising. It also rides like a kangaroo. And the list goes on.

But to be fair (and generous), the car has to be viewed for what it is: the least expensive set of wheels you can buy. Then again, just a bit more will buy you a pretty decent Kia Picanto.

The QQ is not all bad, though. It has some of the niceties you would expect of modern cars. Alloy rims (13-inch), super efficient air-con, 60-40 split folding rear seats and one-touch powered windows all round. It even comes with a remote key, which some more expensive cars do not offer.

The remote key has a nifty feature: It winds up all open windows when you press the Lock button. And if you ignore the wind and engine noises, the 880kg car is quite capable of keeping up with traffic on the right lane.

Should you buy this car?

Well, consider this. It took the Japanese 40 years to become established automotive players. The Koreans took 20. If all goes well, it should take the Chinese 10 years to do the same.

If so, here's your chance to partake of history in the making.

[email protected]

Edited by User12343
  • Praise 2

Extract directly from the Life!Motoring section today...

------------------------------------------------------------------

BITE THIS CHERY?

It's cheap: just over $30,000. It's easy on the gas: 4.2litres per 100km. But it handles like a bumper car. Will Singapore buyers bite?

Christoper Tan

SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

When Hundai made its debut here 25 years ago, it did so with a car called Pony. Hyundai was virtually an unknown car brand back then, which made the Pony a horse with no name.

Sorry for the refernece to that baby boomer hit. I figured if you remember the Pony, you would remember America. The soft rock group, no the land of the free. Never mind.

Anyway, the Pony was nasty. The only car that equalled it was the Lada Samara, a thinly-disguised Russian loaf machine that arrived a decade later.

In a case of history repeating itself, we are now confronted with the first China-made car to land here, the Chery QQ. Scoff not, as carmakers everywhere are prone to corny names for their products - Concerto, Bluebird, Sylhpy, Phaeton, Bora, Ghibli to name a few.

Besides, its name is the least of the QQ's problems. Essentially, the car has several years of catching up to do. Its body betrays shutlines wide enough to hold magazines; noise insulation is so bad that it may be quieter to drive with windows down; and fit and finish must have been alien concepts to its plant workers..

The QQ operates like an amusement park bumper car. Its pedal are spongy, its brakes are squishy and its sterring is disembodied.

Its gear changes are almost as vague as those you would experience in an old pick-up truck. And its doors shut with the hollowness of a biscuit tin.

Its sub-litre engine has weak low-end torque, and its transmission ratios do not make for relaxed higway cruising. It also rides like a kangaroo.. And the list goes on.

But to be fair (and generous), the car has to be viewed for what it is: the least expensive set of wheels you can buy. Then again, just a bit more will buy you a pretty decent Kia Picanto.

The QQ is not all bad, though. It has some of the niceties that you expect of modern cars. Alloy rims (13-inch), super efficient air-con, 60-40 split folding rear seats and one-touched powered windows all round. It even comes with a remote key, which some more expensive cars do not offer.

The remote key has a nifty feature: It winds up all open windows when you press the Lock button. and if you ignore the wind and engine noises, the 880kg car is quite capable of keeping up with the traffic on the right lane.

Should you buy this car?

Well consider this. It took the Japanese 40 years to become estabilished automotive players. The Koreans took 20. If all goes well, it should take the Chinese 10 years to do the same.

If so, here's your chance to partake of history in the making..

> [email protected]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Praise 2

7th Review by Car Buyer Magazine

By Nick Syn

From Carbuyer Issue 56

YOU KNOW HOW some things look great from afar but have the equivalent resilience to close scrutiny as candle wax has to a blowtorch? The Chery QQ's smile-to-frown transition threshold is about 15 feet.

Of all the Chinese carmakers, Chery is probably the most famous, and one of the most successful. The company was founded in 1997, and made a name for itself by famously 'borrowing' the design of the Daewoo D'arts, otherwise known as the Matiz. This did land the company in some hot water with Daewoo's owner, General Motors, although the situation has since been resolved, with Chery being allowed to continue churning out Matiz clones.

The clone in question is the Chery QQ, and it's only just gone on sale here. The QQ is a compact hatchback powered by an 800cc three-cylinder engine, and it's targeted at the likes of the Kia Picanto and the soon-to-be launched Chevrolet Spark.

The car still bears an uncanny resemblance to the Matiz, which is no bad thing as that car's shape continues to be very attractive.

The QQ has a very distinct 'face', a pair of big round headlamps act as eyes and they come complete with a wide bonnet shut line smile that's sure to win many hearts over. There's even a set of stick-on appliqu

A follow-up review by ME!

I went down today with 2 other frinds in anticipation of the food. when i went there the food was gone. Nevertheless, my friends and i went to sit in a few QQs displayed, check ou the interior in detail, panel gaps and the thickness of the metal. I gently tapped the bonnet and it is made of really thin metal.

Now for the things that made me mad.

1. I overheard one SE telling her customer: "No its not a china engine, it is a German engine." since when did QQ use a german engine? maybe a tiny part comes from Siemens but i dun think the engine is made in germany.

2. After i left the showroom, this ah beng looking SE who was eyeing me all these while came after me and demanded rudely: "Where you come from?" i was taken back by his rude tone and did not answer him immediately. He continued: "You come here bang here bang there, where you from?" i just replied: "i just came to see the car." and walked away. He shouted: "then why dun test drive?" i replied that i'm going over to Toyota and left.

What the freaking hell. Is this the way to treat customers? When did i bang the car? i merely open and close the bonnet a few times and tapped on the metal. His tone and way of treating me is worse than a gangster.

Why ask where i come from? scare i post bad reviews like straits times? if you want ppl to buy your car, then at least have some manners when talking to customers! I have test-drove the car before and i see no reason to test it again but do i have to tell you that?

i swore to post this incident online and make ppl boycott Vertex. I have visited so many showrooms. Even if i tell the SE i come test drive for fun, some of them obliged to take me for a ride. BAD BAD BAD service! i will never step into that freaking showroom. Dun even have coffee and tea there.

[shakehead][shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

I find something very disturbing here.

So far, our reviewers have said that the brakes on this car are rather spongy, and NCAP has given a crash rating of 0 out of 5 star - notice how the car has been deformed in a 50km/h test.

I hope that doesn't mean that we going to see horrific accidents for drivers for QQ..anytime soon [sweatdrop]

Some food for thought.

• Praise 2

Can i give my review as well. I didnt test drive after looking at the QQ.

Anyway was there few days after Vertex was opened. The SE guy who greetd me n my family was friend. During the look-see in the showroom, he was always trying to sell the point the Q is a FUN-CAR. Frankly the QQ looks better looks-wise in person than on internet.

It can be made a FUN CAR, and I thot abt the idea of putting sharp ears on the wing mirros of the YELLOW QQ n from afar it will really look lik PIKACHU.

Now I opened the bonnet n the SE showed me the engine. I was more interested in the structural rigidity n how it can handle a head on crash. There was a kind of STRUT bar in the front, but other than that I dont see anything else, just sheet of moulded metals attached together. The SE told me the STRUT car is the same as that found on my CONTI CAR [shakehead]

Sitting inside, well the interior is OK for such a small car. A few other customers I overheard also said the inside was OK. I close the door n got out to check the quality of the finishes. The alignment of the doors were OK too altho I notice the rubber trim on left side near the B pilar is warped.

The suspension....I still dont know why the front of teh car is so highly suspended. This could mean the centre of gravity is also higher n less stable.

Overall I hv no major complains on the exterior for a car price at such level. It LOOKS FUN, but its the safety of the car that would worry me. For me, I pass...not for me.

• Praise 1

just in case u get flammed, there is no official NCAP rating... the 0 rating is an urban legend.

• Praise 1

well i really have not yet test drive the car nor even step into its showroom

but from the reviews i read in here is not encouraging.

therefore IMO if QQ really wanna make this car as hot cakes compare to picanto or kelisa,

the price should be $25k max

only then people will take notice

if the difference is only a few k to get kelisa or picanto with better quality than Chery,

might as well go for proven cars

another thing that i notice is, they tout it as a fun car

but to me, its more likely to be a city car rather than a highway car

due to its sluggish power

but then again as a city car where parking and erp is the same as driving a merc

might as well take public transport

but seriously, if they really want to sell it

to me max is $25k

they should think of lower profit margin for a car but that sells like a hot cakes rather than higher profit margin for a car that sells like expire bread

• Praise 1