Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

Hyun
  • Hyun
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi, what's the usual procedure when u buy rims and want it spray-painted? u pay up, bring them to spray-painting shop to be done, then bring back to rim shop to fit tyres ... or just let them handle everything also can hor.

any1 knows the usual charges per rim or set for spraying, and any particular disadvantages of a sprayed rim? i suppose upon rubbing, the paint comes off and underneath colour can be seen. so best is to start with a similar-toned colour before spraying?

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:13 AM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

powder coat instead. much better (against chemicals that get on the rims) and longer lasting that painting.

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way"
- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:50 AM

Hyun
  • Hyun
    5th Gear
    Author Image

oh ok, i donno about that one. so, same questions: any ballpark price? and the rim shop can handle everything or better i bring directly? thanks!

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:01 AM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Erm,

is there any special reason why you want to spray paint?

maybe you can get rim that have the colour you want. At least it's original.

I have not spray paint my rim before I hear say, the price can range from $50 to $100 per rim.

maybe you can try calling Yew Lip to check on the price since they are quite well-known but I heard that there's a long waiting period.

Oh, a good paintjob will be in layers, so it's not so easy to get to the base...

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:02 AM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Bro,

What is powder coat? can enlighten further?

Thanks smile.gif

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:20 AM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

sorry lazy to type laugh.gif
http://en.wikipedia..../Powder_coating

"I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but it is the most exciting way"
- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:23 AM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks..

Actually I'm the lazy one.. shd have just googled for it.

Seems to be a much better method of coating the rim but I think the process will be costly. And if they heat up the rim, will it lead to other problem? Will the rim be weaken?

Cheers smile.gif

Edited by Sony, 31 July 2006 - 02:24 AM.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:32 AM

Elfenstar
  • Premium member
    Elfenstar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

nope, not hot enough for the metal to get soft. anyway thats the way non-cheapo rim manufacturers "colour" their rims. i bet you the taiwan/malaysian/korean/(slot your cheapo rim country of manufacture here) ones are painted laugh.gif

- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:36 AM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Then better get those chrome type..

or those forged rim.. quality is there..

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

Saggi
  • Saggi
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

contact Nelson at yong thye Seng at Sin Ming blk 18,unit 47.. i use to see them work on it.
Tel 64532067.. of cse.. if you want all installation it can be done as neighour is tyres shop behind.. but they will recommend you to do it elsewhere is you dun mind a bit trouble to save $$ as the tyres shop charges is high

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

Str2
  • Str2
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Hi All,
I'm also thinking of changing my rim colour to Gun Metal/Titanium look.
Any Bros who hv done before can help advise:
a) what are the cons (does it chip-off easily?)
b) will the heat (fm the brakes) cause the paint to crack/peel ?
b) which spray paint shop with this experience?
c) what are ball-park charges for 4 rims?

I assume there will be minimum two coats of paint+ laquer/varnish to protect the paint.

I think the normal spray paint shop don't do powder coating.

Rgds/Str2

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Saggi
  • Saggi
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

wah... above question i cant reply you..must leave to the spray painting expert..sorry leh
so for QUESTION AND B IS OKAY..NO AN ISSUE IF YOU DUN KNOCK YOUR RIM AGAINST THE KERB..

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

Porker
  • Porker
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Powder coating is the best. You can choose the exact colour you want and also the tone and etc. Price? Not too sure but I can do it for free cos I know someone in the industry. Hehe cool.gif

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

Yongwd
  • Premium member
    Yongwd
    4th Gear
    Author Image

hi, sorry to dig out this old thread. Do you have any recommendation to do powder coating for aluminium sports rims? smile.gif
>Singapore, an island where all the slow drivers converge<

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

San_e_fen_ming
  • San_e_fen_ming
    1st Gear
    Author Image

So, may I know if spray paint rims or original colour rims better in value?

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

Ls430
  • Ls430
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

hi, what's the usual procedure when u buy rims and want it spray-painted? u pay up, bring them to spray-painting shop to be done, then bring back to rim shop to fit tyres ... or just let them handle everything also can hor.

any1 knows the usual charges per rim or set for spraying, and any particular disadvantages of a sprayed rim? i suppose upon rubbing, the paint comes off and underneath colour can be seen. so best is to start with a similar-toned colour before spraying?

spray may peel ...look real ugly when that happens

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

Mercuri
  • Premium member
    Mercuri
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

colours will be limited to the company's stock colour doing the powder coating. if you want some colour that they don't have, then you need to buy that colour for them to do the coating for you. usually the coating powder is only available in kilograms. And the supplier of the powder usually sell by minimium amount.

so all in, it may be quite expensive to do powder coat unless they have the colour you want.

price wise... i would think each rims will be at least $60-$80(estimate) cos have done some project on large scale.
test...

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

Yongwd
  • Premium member
    Yongwd
    4th Gear
    Author Image

hi, do you have the contacts of the workshop / company that does powder coating? PM me if convenient. Thanks! thumbsup.gif
>Singapore, an island where all the slow drivers converge<

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

pickledfeet
  • pickledfeet
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Midnight Customs (at Northpoint Bizhub) is the worst car spray/wrapping workshop to go to and here is why.

To note: Scope of work included spray painting of tyre rims and the chrome segment at the back of the car, and wrapping of car handles.

On 7th Oct 2017, they promised to have the car ready by 7pm and we ended up waiting till 11.30pm.

Upon reviewing the work done, Husband saw that the wrapping job done on the car handles was terrible. They offered a touch-up on a separate occasion and my husband agreed to that but shared that he will only pay for the tyres and back of car paint job. They said they will have to then remove the wrapper and my husband agreed to that as well. Who would want to retain such poor work?

Tom (name given by me for one of the staff) proceeded to remove the wrapper and by then it was already way past 12 midnight.

Husband went to check on his handles only to find one of them really loose and he told the staff.

Tom tried to fix the handle but to no avail. Thereafter staff no. 2 (whom i will now refer to as Dick) claimed it was originally already loose. How convenient is that?

Dick then said the indemnity form my husband signed at the start absolves Midnight Customs from all responsibility should there be any damages to the car. We asked to read the form again and nope, no such luck Lying Dick: the form only has a term that absolves Midnight Customs from loss of belongings.

Lying Dick knew he had no way out of this and declared that there was nothing he can do except glue the handle back. Ridiculous.

Anyway, we knew they had no intention to take responsibility for anything at all and since our saturday night was already ruined as it is, we didn’t want to drag it out any further.

We paid $200 and left.

Moral of the story: Midnight Customs might make you wait for 3 hours past the promised time of delivery, do a bad job, spoil a part of your car in the process but god forbid it’s their fault.

And just this morning, upon inspecting the back of the car in daylight, we saw that there were specks of dried paint all over. Husband brought the car down to another workshop for verification and they confirmed it is paint which we cannot remove ourselves. Now we’ll have to send the car for polishing. This is really atrocious service and end result.

Husband texted the boss of Midnight Customs to relay this new finding and he did not receive any response until he shared that he will be proceeding to Small Claims Tribunal. The boss then quickly called him to offer a full refund, but not without adding that the attempt to file our claim with Small Courts is pointless. If that’s the case then why not let us proceed? The boss also said we had to reach before 2pm to receive the refund. It was already 1.15pm.

We immediately set off to meet this ridiculous timeline only to receive a call from the boss mid-way that he will not be proceeding with the refund after all. It doesn’t end here. When we reiterated that we’ll be proceeding with our small claims submission, he again offered to refund us $100 instead and we finally managed to collect this refund from Tom. The boss never turned up. In all honesty, his words and actions so far truly speak volumes of his values and integrity as a business owner.

Use this workshop at your own risk.

Back to Tyres and Rims  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Spray, painting, rims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users