Spray painting rims

Hyun

Neutral Newbie

hi, what's the usual procedure when u buy rims and want it spray-painted? u pay up, bring them to spray-painting shop to be done, then bring back to rim shop to fit tyres ... or just let them handle everything also can hor.

any1 knows the usual charges per rim or set for spraying, and any particular disadvantages of a sprayed rim? i suppose upon rubbing, the paint comes off and underneath colour can be seen. so best is to start with a similar-toned colour before spraying?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

oh ok, i donno about that one. so, same questions: any ballpark price? and the rim shop can handle everything or better i bring directly? thanks!

Erm,

is there any special reason why you want to spray paint?

maybe you can get rim that have the colour you want. At least it's original.

I have not spray paint my rim before I hear say, the price can range from $50 to $100 per rim.

maybe you can try calling Yew Lip to check on the price since they are quite well-known but I heard that there's a long waiting period.

Oh, a good paintjob will be in layers, so it's not so easy to get to the base...

(edited)

Thanks..

Actually I'm the lazy one.. shd have just googled for it.

Seems to be a much better method of coating the rim but I think the process will be costly. And if they heat up the rim, will it lead to other problem? Will the rim be weaken?

Cheers [:)]

Edited by Sony

nope, not hot enough for the metal to get soft. anyway thats the way non-cheapo rim manufacturers "colour" their rims. i bet you the taiwan/malaysian/korean/(slot your cheapo rim country of manufacture here) ones are painted [laugh]

contact Nelson at yong thye Seng at Sin Ming blk 18,unit 47.. i use to see them work on it.

Tel 64532067.. of cse.. if you want all installation it can be done as neighour is tyres shop behind.. but they will recommend you to do it elsewhere is you dun mind a bit trouble to save $$ as the tyres shop charges is high

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

I'm also thinking of changing my rim colour to Gun Metal/Titanium look.

Any Bros who hv done before can help advise:

a) what are the cons (does it chip-off easily?)

b) will the heat (fm the brakes) cause the paint to crack/peel ?

b) which spray paint shop with this experience?

c) what are ball-park charges for 4 rims?

I assume there will be minimum two coats of paint+ laquer/varnish to protect the paint.

I think the normal spray paint shop don't do powder coating.

Rgds/Str2

wah... above question i cant reply you..must leave to the spray painting expert..sorry leh

so for QUESTION AND B IS OKAY..NO AN ISSUE IF YOU DUN KNOCK YOUR RIM AGAINST THE KERB..

Turbocharged

Powder coating is the best. You can choose the exact colour you want and also the tone and etc. Price? Not too sure but I can do it for free cos I know someone in the industry. Hehe [cool]

hi, what's the usual procedure when u buy rims and want it spray-painted? u pay up, bring them to spray-painting shop to be done, then bring back to rim shop to fit tyres ... or just let them handle everything also can hor.

any1 knows the usual charges per rim or set for spraying, and any particular disadvantages of a sprayed rim? i suppose upon rubbing, the paint comes off and underneath colour can be seen. so best is to start with a similar-toned colour before spraying?

spray may peel ...look real ugly when that happens

Neutral Newbie

colours will be limited to the company's stock colour doing the powder coating. if you want some colour that they don't have, then you need to buy that colour for them to do the coating for you. usually the coating powder is only available in kilograms. And the supplier of the powder usually sell by minimium amount.

so all in, it may be quite expensive to do powder coat unless they have the colour you want.

price wise... i would think each rims will be at least $60-$80(estimate) cos have done some project on large scale.

hi, do you have the contacts of the workshop / company that does powder coating? PM me if convenient. Thanks! [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement