Honda Civic 40k servicing @ Riverview Auto

Mits_jc

Neutral Newbie

Dear All

looking at the Riverview cost breakdown provided, I think that you can get the same job scope done at other equally professional workshops at much lower prices. My personal experience in terms of the cost of the same job at a XXXXX workshop would be as follows:

Breakdown of costs (for Nissan Sunny N16 MT):

Self Supplied

Engine Oil CLTR 5W40 - $29.90 (same)

Oil Filter - $6.00 (same)

Brake Fluid (1L) - $10.00 (Mobil Dot 4 - Make in UK)

Fuel Strainer - $25

Purple Red MTL (3 quarts) - $15 x 3 = 45

From XXXXX workshop

Labour - $50

Surcharge for Self Supplied items - $0.00

Total: $165.90

I personally think that the charges by Riverview is on the high side compared to what I have listed above at XXXXX workshop. If you look around and enquire, there are various workshops at Eunos, Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park II etc that are charging around the same price as what I have mentioned. Sure, they will also go for a test drive with you just to wrap out the whole job, and to give you the 'feel good' factor.

My 2cts worth of input, and pls don't ask me to recommend the XXXXX workshop. The above posted photos are very good reference when doing such jobs in case you are afraid that the mechanic will smoke you. The jobs are fairly simple tasks after one round of observations and do not be afraid to ask the mechanic for more details.

Cheers

Actually y they charge extra when u bring ur own stuff?

In fact most workshops give u rebates instead if u bring ur own stuff.

Btw ur Brake fluid is top up or flush all? Mobil one gd?

Neutral Newbie

Actually y they charge extra when u bring ur own stuff?

- beats me too! But then again, there r alot of bochap drivers who just leave the works to the workshop without any care on the details n then pay thru their nose, n alas "kau pei kau bu" about their high maintenance cost.

In fact most workshops give u rebates instead if u bring ur own stuff.

- to me, it is another sales gimmicks, in that they sell a highly marked up maintenance package deal and then rebate u a minimal amount(less than the actual price for your self-supplied materials). I would usually ask for a breakdown of items quote on the actual labour and material (very minimal) to be incurred in the course of work. Of course, the final total amount would also varies according to your relationship with the workshop.

Btw ur Brake fluid is top up or flush all? Mobil one gd?

- I would change the fluid every 20k mileage by bleeding method. The Mobil 1 is still pretty good when braking after using for 5k, unlike those used by TCI, which do not seemed so "jiak" and feels spongy after sometime.

Besides, the 5 litres cxxxxxe full syn can be used for 2 servicings (20km mileage), as my Sunny engine needs only about 2.6 litres of engine oil (with filter). Imagine, my every 40K servicing cost me only about $250 (includes engine oil, MT oil, clutch fluid, brake fluid (+ servicing), coolant, spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, wiper blades and labour cost). All other ad-hoc parts and servicing cost like brake pads, aircon filter etc are incurred on a as and when you need basis. What's more, I get to buy better grade oil/fluid (e.g. Mobil 1 5W-30 from Giant, compared to the locally blended oil at TCI workshops, or mineral/lesser quality synthetic oil at those 3rd party workshops, Royal Purple MT oil, Bosch cabin aircon (activated carbon-type) filter, Bosch wiper blades, Mercedes Benz coolant, Mobil 1 brake/clutch Dot 4 fluid etc)

Hope the above helps.

nismo777, have you personally been to Riverview?

Well previously i was with another ws at Eunos, in fact i promoted that ws so much so that everyone relates me and that workshop.. but then really felt that's not what i wanted for a servicing..

i went for 20k servicing at riverview this morning, and their detail of servicing really won me over... you weren't there, and din know how detail they were.. in fact the boss, vincent is really friendly... and the pricing for riverview, i would say is competitive.. might not be the cheapest, but definitely its not expensive if you compare to AD... [mad]

the way, they dismantle ur stuff, diagnostic checks and explaining everything, and looking for the smallest item of all.. well.. i am really impressed!!!!

i went to a ws in Eunos (its very very popular in my own's car forum now, haha and my promoting like till no day and no night.. seriously, i think if that ws which i used to call good, Riverview can be called top notch!!!).. in fact they took 2 hr for my ride.. i was like... wah.. with them for the whole process, felt its like as detailed as 40k servicing...)

ask around.. Riverview is my standard now... haha.. dun even think of going back to BM.. except to claim for warranty items.... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

uh.....okay your points taken, no doubt Riverview workshop is friendly, professional etc etc....maybe for those who do not mind paying more to leave their rides in their good hands.

My post is more for those who are more in tune to their cars and have more knowledge to handle and negotiate with other workshops, and confident to ensure that their cars are being serviced well at a cheaper pricing.

Like I say in my earlier post, I m not recommending any workshops (notice I used XXXXX workshop name). Just wanted to highlight that if we do a bit of homework, we can save fairly good amount of money over time.

Anyway, the XXXXX workshop in Eunos has also being very friendly and proferssional and most impressively, he has all the necessary equipment to do all the major servicing works. The workshop is clean and neat, no nonsensical apprentice trying their luck on the jobs and "smoking you" on your face. This was after much searching and negative experiences at numerous other workshops and finally landed at this place.

BTW, how much is Riverview charging for labours only 1)wheels alignment - front 2 only, 2)changing of shocks absorbers (all 4 nos.) and 3)replacement of power steering fluid (do they have flushing machine for this work).

Thanks.

it should use abt 3.5+ litres...

when u use only 2.6.. it means the engine oil was not completely drained...

in order to completely drained the engine oil, the front part of the vehicle must be jacked up, without jacking up the back..

yes i understand that...

jus that its the manufacture's standard..

cos they dun jack up the car halfway to change engine oil..

its their protocol...

i only get to know that when i went to change engine oil at outside workshop..

i told last time i promoted another ws in VOGS... till everyone knows Huat-*** is me... my favourite ws... [laugh]

but not anymore... try riverview once and u know the difference liaoz [sly]

uh.....okay your points taken, no doubt Riverview workshop is friendly, professional etc etc....maybe for those who do not mind paying more to leave their rides in their good hands.

My post is more for those who are more in tune to their cars and have more knowledge to handle and negotiate with other workshops, and confident to ensure that their cars are being serviced well at a cheaper pricing.

Like I say in my earlier post, I m not recommending any workshops (notice I used XXXXX workshop name). Just wanted to highlight that if we do a bit of homework, we can save fairly good amount of money over time.

Anyway, the XXXXX workshop in Eunos has also being very friendly and proferssional and most impressively, he has all the necessary equipment to do all the major servicing works. The workshop is clean and neat, no nonsensical apprentice trying their luck on the jobs and "smoking you" on your face. This was after much searching and negative experiences at numerous other workshops and finally landed at this place.

BTW, how much is Riverview charging for labours only 1)wheels alignment - front 2 only, 2)changing of shocks absorbers (all 4 nos.) and 3)replacement of power steering fluid (do they have flushing machine for this work).

Thanks.

for the labour charges, please contact vincent directly.. i a customer only, how i know.. wheel alignment, you have to contact kenny.. used to be from riverview, now just across riverview, his ws...

let me say this, they are so damn good that you see high end clk 350 and other continentials being serviced in their place.. a few driver just drove up to the ws.. apparently well known with vincent, that vincent actually addresses by their name.. chat for a while, gave vincent their keys and left.. [laugh]

the level of trust and competence is there wah [laugh] you should see how they diagnose my ride using those machinery...

for a simple job like replacement of power steering fluid, they definitely have the machine lah... vincent told me, his ws is into repair and replacement, but he provides servicing too.. to build a win-win relationship with his valued customers [thumbsup]

just give vincent a call lah.. [laugh] i am one super satisfied customer man!

↡ Advertisement