Brake pump

Carnewb

Neutral Newbie

I went to a WS to ask to change the rear wheel bearing. While they were at it, I was advised to change the brake pump too.

Not knowing any better, I said okay and paid $120 for it.

Is it necessary to change the brake pump once every 3 years? The pple at the WS said that it gets worn out every 3 years or so.

Even if it's necessary, what's the market rate? I hope it's not like $50 and I paid $120.

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

How did yr mech come to a conclusion that the brake master pump is due for replacment? Unless the master pump internal bore is corrosed and heavily pitted if not just replacing the seals and doing a complete flushing of the brake system will be as good as new.

How did yr mech come to a conclusion that the brake master pump is due for replacment? Unless the master pump internal bore is corrosed and heavily pitted if not just replacing the seals and doing a complete flushing of the brake system will be as good as new.

I dont know.. he said it was leaking... that's all...

From all the bro's comments, seems like I have been 'cheated'...

I drive a Rio. 3 years old only.

Megalord - should be brake cylinders for drum system

hmm.. maybe i should go back and make some noise.. or even go to CASE.

I thought you was referring to the master cylinder pump when you mentioned brake pump. The pump at the brake drum is actually a slave cylinder. All hydraulic cylinders when subjected to long usage will show some dampness at the external surfaces, it's perfectly normally.

Sorry to pop in here...

Hereby, I'm having a funny braking trouble for months.And would like to seek more advice from brothers here.

Trouble : EEeeee Sound when reverse and brake ONLY but not moving foward and brake. Mostly from the rear. Sound like metal rubbing.

Pattern of Symptom

- Parking with head in.

- Reversed slowly out of location.

- Depress the brake gradually and gently.

- Mechanical eee.... sound observed.

- Moved forward and brake gently. Dam quiet..

Ride is a July-04 Altis. Symptom was observed ever since this Feb.

Here is the history of job done by Toyota service centre.

- March 06 : Re service or lubricate all rear brake mechanism.

- July 06 : Re bleed all brake fulid during 40K service.

- Mid Sept 06: Replaced disc rotor with hand brake shoes assy and brake pads.

The pattern of symptom creation

- When the car has been parked for > 3 hours. ex: early morning startup or under hot sun. (Head IN)

- If I reserved park for over night, move off slowly and brake gently: No Eee.... sound observed.

- Above parking with hand brake applied.

Here is some test I did for my self.

@ Once EEE sound observed, applied foot brake and hand brake half way or fully.

@ Made another slow reverse and brake gently. Eeee sound observed.

@ Moved forward a little and brake, no abnormal sound.

@ Drive from fifth level of MSCP to ground level and perform above test again.

@ Symptom just disappear. Seems like when car gets warm up. Things do perfectly.

Friends told me below,

(A) Brake assembly being mis-alignment

But it doesn't seems like mechanical mis alginment trouble. If mechancial trouble happened, it should have been very consistant regardless moving forward or reverse...?

(B) Brake pump being malfunction

Having difficulties to convince service centre as they claim that chances is very very slim.

the sound really un bearable, its pitch is very high.

Please advise further...?

[reply]

I dont know.. he said it was leaking... that's all...

From all the bro's comments, seems like I have been 'cheated'...

I drive a Rio. 3 years old only.

Megalord - should be brake cylinders for drum system

hmm.. maybe i should go back and make some noise.. or even go to CASE.

Me driving a COE car, and 2+ years ago when I went to Stamford Tyre for major servicing the mechanic also told me that my rear brake cylinder/piston leaking and advisable to be replaced. I do see some wet patch at the cylinder/piston, but since the brake fluid level is maintaining I did not do anything about it. Until today it is still alright, no problem braking and can pass the annual inspection with no problem. But I need to monitor the brake fluid level closely....

Pl confirm, rear brake is drum or disc type. Any service done on the assembly ?

Very sad, so call agent /distributor could not afford to own a electronic stethoscope to detect the source of the noise.

post-8-1159167748_thumb.jpg

Hi Yeo,

the rear is disc too.....I believed tat they had and service the brake assembly while replacing the brake pads....

Ai... Still have to bear with it and keep on monitor it for few more days..b4 going back to them...

Maybe thinking of those wrokshop in the market..??? Any good or trusted one to recommend...?

Me have a friend whom own a car work shop...! But, he tends to talk big at times..

If they have replaced the rear disc caliper piston seals, and if they don't use a specialty tool to twist and push in the psiton and seals back to home position chances you will have noise and other braking problems.

PS photo of a brake caliper piston winding back kit

post-8-1159375909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

sorry to dig this but any bros know where repair abs pump?

driving a conti van. right rear drum brakes got no fluid going into the wheel. [:(]

sorry to dig this but any bros know where repair abs pump?

driving a conti van. right rear drum brakes got no fluid going into the wheel. [:(]

get the rear brake pump replace will be ok liao. cos inside the piston jam already thats why no fluid flow through.

Neutral Newbie

hi everyone any one knows abt what is the problem "defect brake servo" current i driving MK6 golf 1.4 sport tsi 

i have change all the new brake pad & brake disc. The error keep on coming out!!

thanks,

Sound like your ABS servo kaput already ?? Very ex.

Try bleeding your brake line to purge air.

Try remove ABS connector and connect back (resit) with your engine off to see if it is a connector issue.

hi everyone any one knows abt what is the problem "defect brake servo" current i driving MK6 golf 1.4 sport tsi 

i have change all the new brake pad & brake disc. The error keep on coming out!!

thanks,

↡ Advertisement