Chevrolet Epica 2.0

Shouyi

Neutral Newbie

Yes, the engine bay is really cramp when I saw it in the showroom. [sweatdrop]

Makes the Camry one looking small. [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
Having said that, the engine refinement and general NVH suppression is hard to beat for this price segment.

indeed...the korean had come a long way...and it time for them to shine too.

however,the current price aint "good" enough to switch over yet as there are still some other factor which korean need to improve 1st.

overview,the Epica is a decent car BUT the price is NO. [rolleyes]

well...i had nothing agianst korea made.infact,it nice to see korea made matching japs quality in such short years.

regarding EU & USDM spec but not sold in there.it not by Law to "follow" the LH signal stalk.some other make in SG are also "EU export spec" from japan.it more about cost-saving as less parts are needed/managed for the same production line.Merc used to be LH signal stalk too but laterly,Asian export CBU comes with RH signal stalk.

Trip computer need some "time period" b4 it would reflect proper accurate reading.atless not with the "standard" route provided by starauto....it just too short to reflect actuate FC.

9.5km/L for a DC5 sounds good.i had a 2003 DC5 last time which clock only 8km/L but thats due to the heavy clutch & less torque output from the K20A engine.

cheers

fyi, 9.5km/l for a DC5 is defintely not good...it's below average actually. i'm getting 11.5km/l for my GSR(A) & some DC5R folks can easily match mine FC or better it. [thumbsup]

i love my ride [inlove]

• Praise 1

They would have factored in a lot of things. Actually an IL6 works less hard compared to a IL4 so it won't be overheating sooner.

i think you made a calculation error.

BM has a smaller profit for the 2.4L camry as compared to the 2.5L Epica.

difference in list price is S$14100.

the extra in cost for the 2.4L camry is = addition OMV $7085 + additional tax on OMV $9590 = $16675.

i'm using all your values.

Epica 2.5 LT - S$85888 launch special price,usual as of now S$88888.

Camy 2.4 Auto - S$99988,

different of S$14100

OMV

Epica - SE claim 22k

Camy 2.4 - S$29085 (state at MTA )

possible different of S$7085

for the OMV different in term of taxation;

ARF : S$7k x 110% = S$7700

custom tax : S$7k x 20% = S$1400

GSt : S$7k x 7% = 490

sum up : S$9590

so Borneo motor "made" around est 4.5k more then Starauto.assume ceteris paribus

unladen weight - means the car w/o oil,fuel,spare tire,human,battery etc

one should look at Gross vehicle weight instead.at 1985kg for epica & 1970kg for camry.both are heavy weight cars. [hur]

ham down to spec bewteen Camy & Epica.

Camry : 167PS@6k RPM , 224NM@4k RPM

Epica : [email protected] RPM , 237NM@4k RPM

*Epica will feel better while moving off traffic lite due to the torque differents. [thumbsup]

comfort creature.(only name those thats different)

Camry : HiD w Auto leveling,TCS + VDC,true keyless entry & push start buttom,bluetooth ready HU,Plasma cluster Aircon w rear aircon vent, power passenger seat.

Epica : sunroof

*Camry still top the comfort spec list.at 5k more earning for the dealer.it personal preference to pick. [thumbsup]

As such,is Epica a nice & reasonable car to own? Yes....in my view.the car has decent spec & acceptable look/handling BUT not at this price marker.

resale value curve for the Epica are unlike Camry which seems to be prefer by most SGians.

if the differents between the Camry & Epica were 10k different in "earning".that would make the Epica more "sellable".

just my view. [cool]

• Praise 1

(edited)

i just can't understand why my consumption sucks??????? even i keep it stock. i have recently installed a top fuel SRI and it drop the fuel consumption further to 8 [furious] . i can only hit 360km with 45L of petol now

Edited by Ferringi2000

Neutral Newbie
fyi, 9.5km/l for a DC5 is defintely not good...it's below average actually. i'm getting 11.5km/l for my GSR(A) & some DC5R folks can easily match mine FC or better it. [thumbsup]

i love my ride [inlove]

above 10km/L FC.....was like a wet dreamz for me.

had a couple of stuff like Toda cam B & mugen exhaust...which dun help in FC.

but overall i like the tail happy oversteer action while in track. [drivingcar]

but thats just de Good old days i guess. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
i think you made a calculation error.

BM has a smaller profit for the 2.4L camry as compared to the 2.5L Epica.

difference in list price is S$14100.

the extra in cost for the 2.4L camry is = addition OMV $7085 + additional tax on OMV $9590 = $16675.

i'm using all your values.

indeed...thats a terrible calculation error made by me.knife.gif

which is de result of late nite surfing.sleeping.gif

in a nutshell, Borneo Motor actualy MADE less for the Camry 2.4L as compare to Starauto Epica 2.5LT.

since we know Starauto will often "adjust" price once the sale figure dun matchup.bigcry.gif

so....is getting the "Less pricey" Camry 2.4A a better bargain with the higher spec in comfort creature & proven track record OR the famour iL6 engine design of the Epica?

it really personal perference. [thumbsup]

deep down in my heart.i would go for the Camry 2.4A. [laugh]

*atless can save money for a Bluetooth car kit & save the FINE. [inlove]

Edited by Nitehawk

Is Epica using this 6-IL engine ? [confused] ...........checkout here:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2001-01-0331

Abstract:

After an absence of nearly two decades from General Motors vehicles, a state-of-the-art all new inline six-cylinder engine will be introduced for the 2002 model year as the standard engine in a new line of midsize Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV''s). The new VORTEC 4200 I6 Engine brings the technical sophistication of premium passenger car engines to the truck market delivering power exceeding most competitor''s V8''s, with exceptional low and midrange torque, yet providing best in class fuel efficiency. It is designed to provide a high level of reliability, emit low emission levels, exhibit quiet, smooth, and refined engine operation, and is lightweight. The inline configuration provides an elegant solution to meeting customer demands with premium technology. Features include dual overhead cams - four valves per cylinder, variable exhaust valve timing, all aluminum construction for the cylinder block and cylinder head, and electronic throttle control. The engine is being produced at a completely new manufacturing facility, the Flint Engine South Powertrain Plant in Flint, Michigan.

Edited by Normal_aspirated
  • Praise 1

No I dont think so, cos the IL6 in the Epica is newly developed by GMDAT in Korea.

I noticed that the Epica is fast becoming a common sight on our roads..surprise! And i got an sms from an SE saying that there is a promo on for the 2.0 at $77,888 less $2000, for the next 4 days only.

↡ Advertisement