Skoda Octavia A5, Opel Astra, Renault Megane

Slacker001

Hello, was wondering if any owners of the above models (all 1.6L cars for around $71k; Ford Focus not being considered) would be able to give me feedback on the following aspects:

1) the quality of the cars ie any defects causing trouble requiring workshop repair within lets say, the first 3 years

2) the technical support by the dealerships

3) generally what they're like to drive on a daily basis.

Looking for feedback on what it's like to own any of these on a long term basis, having test driven them. Thanks so much!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi, just collected my A5.. I'm quite satisfated with my ride.. very steady and down-to-earth ride; roomy boot and interior... I guess I cannot comment much on the dealership as its very much down to the management. Skota is still lacking of a lot of exposure but I would say its handling and body is one of the best of the price loh...

You can view my ride if you like :D

just wondering ... why not Focus? Size, power, agent - care to share? It is 7k cheaper and the only to have ESP in the 1.6L range.

A5 has low spec list, some of Astra owners are not too happy with the MTA trasmission for the 1.6L and Megane has a good spec list

Neutral Newbie

why not the focus? To be honest, I'm driving the focus and I've test driven all three of the cars that you are considering. Although the Focus is not that well powered on paper, I dare say it would qie most 1.6l cars on the road. Also has the best handling in the range. For 71k you can get the Ghia range which has sunroof, cruise control and all that. I have the trend model. Try the focus, you will not be disappointed. I was comtemplating everything until I test drove the focus. was so impressed i signed straight away :) hope that helps

Skoda Octavia A5

- excellent built quality

- stable at high speeds

- enjoyable cruiser

- very bare interior

- engine not meant to be pushed hard

Renault Megane

- excellent built quality

- powerful engine

- interior is fresh, well equipped and spacious.

- been in the market for quite sometime already (would a new model be here anytime soon?)

Thanks for the offer, it's ok coz we viewed the car in the showroom and found it quite impressive. Congrats on the new car! The thing i'm concerned is since it's a less common marque, would the availibility of spare parts be affected too badly see.

Indeed if it were for myself, the Focus would be the top choice! However i'm asking on behalf of someone else who feels that the interior isnt to her preference. Also, i think the ride of the above 3 cars are a little smoother. Again, if it were for myself, this would be secondary to the brilliant handling of the Focus, so i envy you haha.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you (btw, the megane range has been face lifted), it's just that i've heard that renault cars have problems with their electrics, so wondering if that was true? and also if there're known problems with the other 2 cars.

would you consider a Citroen? i was quite impressed with the C4 at the recent new-showroom/management launch.

Citroen is now under Cycle and Carriage and showroom is located at the old Kia showroom along leng kee rd.

Well slipped my mind actually. The car in mind is meant for going up the north south, so was looking for something with a good handling and a decent amount of space. Havent heard much on citroen; also unsure on build quality/reliability. Since the skoda and the opel are pretty good on the handling front, working with these 3 options first.

ic, i haven't tested the Opel myself.

but between the Skoda and Megane, i'd go for the megane. Both are good cars but since you mentioned that the car would be going up the NS, frequently i assume, the extra power from the French engine is definitely useful.

Neutral Newbie

Try the Citroen and Megane. Both are great cars and really fun to drive. As for the Astra, I would suggest that you find out from the Forum whether there are problems with the MTA before buying. I saw for myself the really brillant interior of the C4. If I were buying based on how the interior looks like, that would be my choice, plus there are lots of gadgets to play with as well... Citroen would do well as will the Megane, although the best handling has to go to the Astra

Hm not so frequently but you've a point there, just saw the specs and the renault does have more power. Still harping on the reliability issue though, because we once had a renault scenic and within 3 years, it had problems with the air conditioning and some of the storage bin lids broke. So was wondering if anyone knew if the newer renaults have improved on this front.

Hmm wouldnt mind the french cars, it's just that we previously had one and it wasnt the best when it came to reliability see. of course things could have changed by now, so hoping there might be some feedback on this aspect.

Hi,

I am driving Megane for 3 years now. When I get this car. I list safety as a main priority.

If you want a fuss free car, get a japanese make model.

M2 give you excellence driving pleasure but you probably need to visit the agent to sort out some outstanding minor issue.

I know there are a new face lift recently, and they probably already solve most issue. Anyway, I enjoy my ride even more then before as it get into 3 years.

While most of my friend start selling their Japanese car once it reach 3 years. I will keep mine till 5 years and see what happen.

Thanks for your reply. Looking out for a mid range conti car, so won't mind if the issues aren't very major. Would it be alright to ask what issues you faced with your car? Hopefully these would have been settled in the face lifted model.

I can't comment on this picture because I am not sure how this accident occur.

If NCAP 5 can be like this. just think of the rest without good NCAP.

Anyway, I know of one M2 driver that dead in TPE early this year because of a drunk truck driver that lost control and crash on top of his car.

Most car are design of frontal impact and side impact. with a speed of 64km/h.

http://www.euroncap.com/index.php

Most japanese & korean car reduce spec to make it affordable for mass.

This include reducing the number of airbag.

↡ Advertisement