BMW 5 series or Merc E Class

F1ngolf

Neutral Newbie
Thinking of upgrading my E200 Kompressor to a 2yrs used car but can't decide whether to buy a E200 Kompressor or bmw 520 or 523. Can someone help to comment?

I am referring to Billtan18 question between deciding E200 and 520... [hur]

I have tried Lexus la... but GS300 is not in his option. [laugh]

By the way, Lexus nowadays is also as branded Merc and BMW [sly] .

E200k is just my opinion...

Generally I feel new Merc E-class got classic look... Lexus GS too agressive sporty look for me.

Edited by Ncss

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
Thinking of upgrading my E200 Kompressor to a 2yrs used car but can't decide whether to buy a E200 Kompressor or bmw 520 or 523. Can someone help to comment?

Since you are driving a E200 now, may be good to consider a BMW for a change. wink.gif

Go for 523 and forget the 520. 520 is under powered. thumbsdown.gif

I understand that 523 also resolved the mechancial (on the doors) and transmission

issues on 520. wink.gif

Edited by F1ngolf

E200K

- quite good, usual stuff u expect from Merc just that is now built more like a BMW.

- power delivery is not smooth, power come in at high revs abt 3.5k rpm and it goes on till abt 5.5krpm before kick down

- when going slowly up slops like car park rams, car have tendancy to jerk...as if is gonna stall

- E240 smoother power delivery but expensive tax (then E200K is actually 1800cc!)

BMW520

- as always under power and have a horrible wine when rev hard

- feels good when driven agressively

- noisy

- BMW523...never tried

Lexus GS300

- typical japanese and Toyota

- not as lux as the other two

- will be similar to ur Cefiro is terms of built quality

- rough ride not LExus quite

- horrible rear blind spot

- VERY high tax

Now that the new FL E Class is launched (184bhp/250Nm), PI's with existing E200K stock should be clearing them at a good rate.

One word of advice, actually the pre FL E200K's 163bhp/240Nm is more than enough to drive the sedan. However, it is the drive by wire throttle that may give some a sense of sluggishness. This was intentional by Merc to have a slight delay bet the right foot and the response from the throttle for a more comfort biased start.

If you want a quicker response, install Sprint Booster (avail at MBM Wheelpower), which alters the signals from the right pedal so that the ECU will open the throttle more immediately. The sensing I get is that it becomes close to a non DBW throttle.

PI: Classic series, with leather etc done locally. There are some that bring in Avantgarde nowadays, but price is of course higher.

Dealer: Elegence & Avantgarde series. Peace of mind and easy change of defective parts. For a minor HU problem, C&C changed the entire HU. Of course, need to do brand promotion and also better facilities and events (like the Merc Centre with promos like World Cup/F1 etc for C&C customers).

Get the BMW 525i. Overall better-built car. M54B25 In-line 6 engine is superb. Handlles significantly better than the Merc E-Class too.

Merc = think 'Taxi'. White one got, silver one also got.

What color next? Black with yellow tops? [laugh]

And plenty of Beng-turned-towkay owning them in SG.

Image issue, IMHO. [laugh]

but the 525 costs so much more than the e200...

why not get the 730 or the s300 instead?

They are both better cars, but then again, a quattroportte is the next best thing to a flying spur or a rolls, so why not consider them all?

Edited by Sturtles

Neutral Newbie

Hey Vblaster,

Your choice of cars coincide with Jolie's definition ... "ah-beng turns towkay"

In your Teg, you are an ah-beng but when you drive your Merc, you become a towkay.

Hmm .. Jolie's quite 'accurate' this time then ?

[flowerface]

Haha, very funny! [laugh]

Actually, I'm more in professional executive management with dual personalities. The E is really daily ride for my spouse to work and for family outings.

The Teg is my fav daily ride to work [sly]

↡ Advertisement