Freak accidents resulting in death

Stan10

Twincharged

this lady was my FIL's Nantah classmate. Singapore really a small country.

Anyway poor parents for this adolescent's final misadventure.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/body-of-missing-schoolboy-found-off-east-coast-beach-8827450

I read that 7 boys went swimming in the sea after their examination. 3 managed to swim ashore while 4 were struggling. An ang mo lady managed to swim and rescued 2 boys. She was tired after swimming twice and the third time she and a male passerby swam to save the 3rd boy. By the time they wanted to save the deceased, he was no where to be found.
↡ Advertisement

Forklift driver didn't see victim until too late

The 52-year-old forklift driver involved in Tuesday's fatal workplace accident, in which steel bars he was loading with a forklift fell and hit a man, has said he initially failed to see the victim.

The forklift driver, identified only as Mr Tay, told Shin Min Daily News that he had been concentrating on the forklift's arms while loading the two steel bars, which weigh about two tonnes in total, onto a lorry.

It was only when he was preparing to lower the arms of the forklift that he realised the 54-year-old Malaysian lorry driver was beside the vehicle. He was caught by surprise as lorry drivers would usually move aside after opening their lorry's sideboards.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/forklift-driver-didnt-see-victim-until-too-late

Twincharged

The 52-year-old forklift driver involved in Tuesday's fatal workplace accident, in which steel bars he was loading with a forklift fell and hit a man, has said he initially failed to see the victim.

The forklift driver, identified only as Mr Tay, told Shin Min Daily News that he had been concentrating on the forklift's arms while loading the two steel bars, which weigh about two tonnes in total, onto a lorry.

It was only when he was preparing to lower the arms of the forklift that he realised the 54-year-old Malaysian lorry driver was beside the vehicle. He was caught by surprise as lorry drivers would usually move aside after opening their lorry's sideboards.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/forklift-driver-didnt-see-victim-until-too-late

I saw the video circulating online.  The driver alighted immediately after he parked his lorry (near the forklift) and he went to to open the "sides" (I dun know what it is called) of the lorry behind - for forklift to load the goods into his lorry I think.   He collapsed immediately the first steel bar hit him.

I saw the video circulating online.  The driver alighted immediately after he parked his lorry (near the forklift) and he went to to open the "sides" (I dun know what it is called) of the lorry behind - for forklift to load the goods into his lorry I think.   He collapsed immediately the first steel bar hit him.

From the forklift driver's statement, there is suppose to be some "understanding" on where the driver should stand during loading / unloading. 

Perhaps a bit of awareness lacking on both parties resulting in this outcome. 

• Praise 1

From the forklift driver's statement, there is suppose to be some "understanding" on where the driver should stand during loading / unloading. 

Perhaps a bit of awareness lacking on both parties resulting in this outcome. 

the area is full of vehicles and people, what is lacking is not awareness but Safety At Work SOPs. How many times have we seen lorries maneuvering in an open area where there are pedestrians ? 

If you guys can remember, in the army whenever a tonner or A vehicle have to park, the VC will have to be on the ground acting as a guide as well as to warn people (if any) in the vicinity. 

• Praise 3

Moi is no believe

Simi never see

• Praise 2

the area is full of vehicles and people, what is lacking is not awareness but Safety At Work SOPs. How many times have we seen lorries maneuvering in an open area where there are pedestrians ? 

If you guys can remember, in the army whenever a tonner or A vehicle have to park, the VC will have to be on the ground acting as a guide as well as to warn people (if any) in the vicinity. 

Yes, I agree.

Those of us who have gone thru NS would have handled or been near heavy vehicle or heavy equipment and when "Stand Clear" is shouted its for a good reason.

• Praise 1

All I could say is 100% fault lies with the forklift driver !

A life would be safe if forklift driver waits for the lorry driver ready for his cargo loading.

RIP to the hardworking truck driver.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Moi is no believe

Simi never see

Why not?

When i'm focused on a task. I tend to shut down peripheral awareness.

That's why people standing around should never disturb people operating delicate things or heavy machinery.

I didn't watch the video. 

But that's the reason why everyone should siam.

Just like a 5-tonner driver is focused on parking the 5 tonner. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Moi is no believe

Simi never see

The front of the forklift has the huge hydraulic lift. It might have blocked the driver's view.

As taught during theory and practical lessons, always lower your load before maneuvering.

• Praise 2

The front of the forklift has the huge hydraulic lift. It might have blocked the driver's view.

As taught during theory and practical lessons, always lower your load before maneuvering.

apparently many breach of SOP that result in tragic, happen in many places just waiting to be happened, complacent.  

• Praise 3

Why not?

When i'm focused on a task. I tend to shut down peripheral awareness.

That's why people standing around should never disturb people operating delicate things or heavy machinery.

I didn't watch the video. 

But that's the reason why everyone should siam.

Just like a 5-tonner driver is focused on parking the 5 tonner. 

Yes, one could be very focused on a task. We can't fault anyone for that.

But if the task involves other people/objects, then it changes the situation a little bit.

Say if the forklift driver is responsible for lifting the steel bars from one point on the ground to another point on the ground in an open area, then it is fine for him to focus solely on the steel bars (and the ground) plus his forklift, so if let's say there's a missile flying overhead also he might have ignored.

But from reading this, there is a crucial part that the task can only be performed after the lorry has stopped in position, and the sideboards lowered - and this has to be operated manually by another person.

So to do the whole task, it's no longer just one person (the forklift driver)'s involvement, which means a competent forklift driver, would also have to be aware of all the other people/objects involved, to do a good job. 

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

Yes, one could be very focused on a task. We can't fault anyone for that.

But if the task involves other people/objects, then it changes the situation a little bit.

Say if the forklift driver is responsible for lifting the steel bars from one point on the ground to another point on the ground in an open area, then it is fine for him to focus solely on the steel bars (and the ground) plus his forklift, so if let's say there's a missile flying overhead also he might have ignored.

But from reading this, there is a crucial part that the task can only be performed after the lorry has stopped in position, and the sideboards lowered - and this has to be operated manually by another person.

So to do the whole task, it's no longer just one person (the forklift driver)'s involvement, which means a competent forklift driver, would also have to be aware of all the other people/objects involved, to do a good job. 

I don't deny that a SOP and safety procedures would have helped. But I'm just saying that the forklift driver may not be aware of the lorry driver may be totally true.

my wife and kid once crossed the road before me. I didn't see where they were. I thought they headed back to the mall carpark (we were rushing to go fetch our girl after class). So i waited for next traffic light and went to the mall carpark. I didn't see them, then i backtrack. Then my wife scold me, how come u walk right past me even though i called you. She couldnt catch up cos carrying didi.

I said i totally didn't see you. I was just focused on getting to the carpark (also cos i was rushing)

• Praise 3

I don't deny that a SOP and safety procedures would have helped. But I'm just saying that the forklift driver may not be aware of the lorry driver may be totally true.

my wife and kid once crossed the road before me. I didn't see where they were. I thought they headed back to the mall carpark (we were rushing to go fetch our girl after class). So i waited for next traffic light and went to the mall carpark. I didn't see them, then i backtrack. Then my wife scold me, how come u walk right past me even though i called you. She couldnt catch up cos carrying didi.

I said i totally didn't see you. I was just focused on getting to the carpark (also cos i was rushing)

Ha ha, yup, see your point. I also got walked past people and completely ignoring them unintentionally... Good thing i was only laughed at, rather than being scolded for  [laugh]

But when that happened, like what you said, you were focused on one thing. In your case, it was getting to the carpark, and since you didn't expect your wife to be there, that's why you missed her.

The additional ingredient to the forklift issue is that the forklift driver should have consciously looked out for the lorry driver instead lor...

Hypersonic

Ha ha, yup, see your point. I also got walked past people and completely ignoring them unintentionally... Good thing i was only laughed at, rather than being scolded for  [laugh]

But when that happened, like what you said, you were focused on one thing. In your case, it was getting to the carpark, and since you didn't expect your wife to be there, that's why you missed her.

The additional ingredient to the forklift issue is that the forklift driver should have consciously looked out for the lorry driver instead lor...

the classic "u think, i thought, who confirm?"

I learned these 6 words from my BMT PS at the age of 19, i still remember them as words i live by.

• Praise 1

From the forklift accident, can see the rear wheels lifting up during the initial fork up. The forklift capacity barely enough for the 2tonnes steel bar. Not sure if the forks are fully tilted up. A little sudden braking will cause the bars to roll forward & cause the forklift to even tilt.

Can also determine from video the lorry driver is still opening the side panels when the forklift begins lifting the load ABOVE his head. Last lorry panel wasn't even open yet.

I would say it's definitely human error. Those of the forklift operator.

• Praise 6

From the forklift accident, can see the rear wheels lifting up during the initial fork up. The forklift capacity barely enough for the 2tonnes steel bar. Not sure if the forks are fully tilted up. A little sudden braking will cause the bars to roll forward & cause the forklift to even tilt.

Can also determine from video the lorry driver is still opening the side panels when the forklift begins lifting the load ABOVE his head. Last lorry panel wasn't even open yet.

I would say it's definitely human error. Those of the forklift operator.

The forklift driver will regrets for his entire lifetime, the deceased is someone loving Son, Husband and Father. RIP
  • Praise 8

From safety point of view (especially coming from MOM perspective), there are several safety lapses that resulted in this mishap.

Forklift Operation

- Load (steel bar) not properly secured (primary root cause)

- Moving the forklift with fork & load at height

- Lack of banksman / signaler (due to restricted view)

- Never honk (or any form of signaling) when moving

- Improper work methodology (using lorry crane would be a safer option)

Lorry Driver / Surrounding Factors

- Working under / near the load

- Never keep a proper look out for hazard

- The area between forklift and lorry should be kept clear theoretically

And I seriously doubt RA (Risk Assessment) have been properly done and communicated. Till date, many employer and employee are still treating RA as just an additional paper work! This fatal accident can 100% be prevented, if any of the above point are eliminated.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13