VW Passat & Polo made in China

Dweller

Just return from shanghai...Found so many Passat & Polo used by the Police, resident & of course the TAXI company.

VW made in shanghai is so cheap. Saw the police also using passat 1.8T & the V6 engine.

post-22-1167635663_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dweller
↡ Advertisement

Volkswagen was the first foriegn established car company in China back in the 80's they have a strong following there. The new Lingyu Passat shares similar desgin with the Superb.

Edited by Echelon

however, the built quality is low standard. cant compare with the euporean inported. heard local dealer might consider bringing in from china to lower cost at showroom (in the name of increasing profits!!).

[sweatdrop] not suprising, it seems to be the route that most companies are taking these days, however the quality will still have a min standard therefore it will not be totally terrible especially if it is for export.

thier taxi used sanata2000 i think...den saw alot passatt and polo....alot cars like corolla,fit,etc with sunroof...royal crown,audi,bmw,mercs alot in streets....mazda 6 also...1 thing is the way they drive and way they horn is bo la sha one...very hiong and horning is their way of signalling

best part is 3 lane they can squeeze 5 cars...i sit inside also pretty amazed...when come to overtaking..if a car block a single lane,they overtake to the pedestrian pavement and cut into the road [sweatdrop] wonder if we go there drive...will we be shorten our life anot [laugh] anyway good eye opener..now at least i noe sg roads consider v v safe liao [;)]

I agree with you on earlier batches, I have been working there for 11 years now. The older models, I cannot comment much on, they were hastly built and sourcing was not that great back than, QC issues.....etc. But the newer batches are really quite good, the standard has improve, these mfg plants at VW and Audi has improved both technically and build attitude.

My favourite was the Passat till the Audi A6 was launched, the inital batches, there was door alignment issues due to type/grade of material used for the door mounts and brackets, when you close the door you can almost see the mis-alignment, the feel was different from cars coming out of Germany for sure.

I guess at the end of the day, the price, the place mfg all play hand in hand. All I can say is the way they move in terms of improvment is mind boggling. Standards have gone up.

Do not be suprise that in future VW and Audi cars that we get will be coming out of China, purely from a price stand point.

Look at the Toyota Camry - from Thailand. I wonder if people can tell the difference from Japaness made ones.

That's what i heard. Local VW dealer planning to bring in the China made VW to lower cost. However, latest news was VW German is review their manufacturing methods to lower cost too. This would be applied to the 2008 Golf. Its difficult to lower cost there as the labour union is strong and very protective. Let's see what will happen. VW had always been my dream but with this kinda of pricing, better save for kids.

You never know who will be knocking next door.

Mr Stu*d M rejected VM offer. Now VW fighting with GM built in M'sia.

Proton is losing hell lot of money. Maybe we will get the car from m'sia in future. That I think will be even cheaper.

You'd be surpirsed that some parts of China are using Korean made Hyundai Elantra for their taxis.

But the new Elantras have a better high speed stability and ride comfort than the Santanas and Passat. The China made Xia Li (1991 model Daihatsu Charade) have all been scrapped.

These China made VW somehow lack that continental OOMPH!

post-22-1170851913.gif

Edited by Vit4wd

Neutral Newbie

More and more MNCs are setting up their manufacturing operations in countries like China and Thailand since labour and cost of materials are much more cheaper than that of their parent countries... so you can imagine the sky high profits these companies are making in developed countries like Singapore [sweatdrop]