Wheels & Rims

Ronnchee

The stability of a car on the road dependent on the 4 wheels. Do the rims play a part ?

Besides the weight of a rim makes a difference, anything else we need to consider when shopping for rims ?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Light rims are ideal but do ensure that they are strong too.

A set of good rims would help to dissipate the heat generated during long journeys.

In this case, the air pressure in tyres would not expand significantly.

I read an article before, a korean brand car, one of the rims broke in expressway, scared the driver out of his wits.

Yes, light weight rims are good, but they are more expensive. I think the rims country of origin is also important. Japan, US, Germany rims generally are better as compared to PRC, taiwan, thailand, etc.

What determine the weight of the rims, the materials ?

If such cases happened, who bear the responsibility ? The tyres shop, the SE/authorised dealer of vehicle ? Claim who insurance ?

hi RONNCHEE

in the 1st place why take such a risk, when the rim broke it might result in accident and cost life. [thumbsdown]

even if can claim responsibility from dealer or tyres shop, the lost of life can never be compensated. [:/]

so choose good quality rim in the begining is the better choice. [;)]

[drivingcar]

drive safely, drive responsibly

No one wants to take such risk. But as an end consumer, we would not know whether the SE is givng us a sub-standard rims or not. We can only give them the benefit of doubts.

Nowadays, most stock cars come with stock rims, which are usually heavier than aftermarket rims.

Went to hunt around some tyres and rims in Spore and JB, noted that JB is cheaper around S$200. Anyone can advise the quality ?

i rejected the sport rims from the dealer as i do not know the quality. prefer to change outside. go for branded ones, they may cost more but better quality.

last time i went JB to look at rims too, saw plenty of JRD brand. used before. not very good

The stability of a car on the road dependent on the 4 wheels. Do the rims play a part ?

Besides the weight of a rim makes a difference, anything else we need to consider when shopping for rims ?

From my limited understanding, yes the car depends on the rubbers contact with road for grip, each of these 4 patches is only the size of a closed fist of your hand. thats why good tyres are so important. Yr life depends on that in a critical situation.

As for rims, what I know is generally (brands aside for a while), there are 2 things to consider in general. Weight is important in so far as what is called upsprung weight. the lighter the wheels the easier for engine to move it so u get better acceleration/take off feel. Strength of rim material and the rim's rigidity is important that in hard driving condition, the rims doesnt give way or go out of shape. But it takes a lot of hard driving to cause that. Which is why I think even though a lot of taiwan replica rims are said to be heavy n uses inferior materials to maunfacture, they are still good enuf for driving up north. However, if u are enthusiast type and track-siao type, lighter rims will give you that much desired 0.5 sec more round sepang or such. I knwo for eg some models of forged BBS brand rims uses materials found on aircraft - light n tough. eg the BB RS-GT rim but of cos it is Farking expensive. A 19" rim cost like $1,600 each

Edited by Ahbengdriver

if is a freebies from SE, cannot complain.

there are many tyres shops in JB, and they concentrate in 1 area, which make life easier for me. I intend to upgrade my new tyres and rims from 16" to 17", and they quoted me between rm1200 to 1700, depending on tyres.

you have any good shops in jb to recommend ?

seldom go in from Tuas. need to pay road toll $3.50 in and out of Sing. On top of that, also need to pay further toll in JB.

any good one in Sentosa / Pelangi ?