Toyota Rush Review

Vit4wd

Spotted some rust on the undercarriage at the front wheels.

Is this normal for a new car?

post-2-1175348166.gif

Neutral Newbie

First thing when test driving a SUV is not to compare it with a saloon car. They are of different characteristics altogether. That's the tendency that a lot of people will do. SUVs are meant to have lower starting gear ratios for off-road use. Test drive a RAV4 and you will get the same sugglish feeling on the 1st 2 gears.

I drive a Rush (my former car was a FLG9 1.5A), and my neighbour drives a RAV4 2.4. He too said the same thing about his RAV4. We were discussing this topic and both of us agreed that people who drive saloon cars will find SUVs sluggish. One thing for sure, Porsche Cayenne doesn't have that sluggish feeling, go for that [laugh]

Rush and RAV4 engines all sound harsh, typical of an average SUV. Of course cannot compare with a RX300 or Porsche Cayenne lah. Not a good comparison with a saloon car as well. Just like comparing the noise of a 400cc scrambler vs a 400cc Ninja...scrambler of course damn noisy when moving off [laugh]

Rush does not share the same engine as the Vios or G9. G9 uses 1NZ-FE and Rush uses 3SZ-VE. It is a RWD compact SUV. The steering of the Rush is as light as the G9. BTW, I got my PI to give me leather-wrap steering wheel so not "thin" feeling. [;)]

I have to agree that the FC of Rush is definitely higher than G9 due to it's 1.2ton weight but then, no basis for comparison with saloon cars weighing less than 1 ton also. I get about 11km/l as compared to 13km/l for my G9. SUVs all drink, known fact, so why compare with a saloon car. Should compare with another SUV [sly]

I think Rush is a 2 wheel rear wheel drive , Not a 4WD. Have ask the SE and check sgcarmart website before. think only the terio come with FWD and 4WD.

(edited)

The Toyota Rush is developed to be a tough and casual sport-utility wagon and is meant to merge the enjoyment and drivability of an SUV, the ease-of-use and convenience of a compact hatchback and the fun and functionality of a small station wagon.

The Rush has a turning radius of 4.9 meters making driving along narrow streets and parking a breeze. The wheels are placed as close to the four corners of the vehicle as possible, providing a long wheelbase and a wide track, thereby achieving excellent cruising stability. Despite compact body dimensions, the vehicle's high-efficiency layout offers a cabin space that accommodates four adults in relaxed comfort and a roomy, 380-liter cargo space. The minimal difference in height between the floor and the scuff plates by the front doors, along with rear doors that open in three-stages to a maximum of 77 degrees, provide excellent overall ease of entry and exit. Special features, such as four luggage tie-down hooks, electrical sockets for accessories in the instrument panel and rear cargo space, and water-repellant full-fabric seats facilitate outdoor leisure activities.

The newly developed 1.5-liter engine features high torque at low and medium speeds combined with smooth acceleration performance at high speeds for ample power in all situations. Outstanding fuel efficiency has also been achieved thanks to a new engine with precise combustion control, lower overall vehicle weight, and improved aerodynamic properties. A sophisticated full-time four-wheel drive system, with a mechanical, center-locking differential, offers not only excellent off-road performance but also on-road stable cruising performance at high speeds.

[flowerface][flowerface][flowerface][flowerface][flowerface][flowerface]

Toyota Rush comes in full time 4 wheel drive. Above article is from sgcarmart. I have also called several Parallel Importers to confirm this.

Click on link below for more information:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/10320.php

Edited by Vit4wd

(edited)

I have driven an old school 1992 Suzuki Vitara before. It comes with a transfer case and allows one to shift from 2H to 4H or 4L.

In 2H (2 wheel drive mode), the steering feel lighter, acceleration is much faster and the auto gear change is not so draggy. The acceleration feels much more nippy & spirited too

Fuel consumption is also much lower.

I accept that all AWD or 4WD SUVs have the same characteristics as the Toyota Rush. Your neighbour's RAV4 comes in 4WD too, so naturally it is sluggish even for a 2.4l.

That is why I recommended the 2WD option - The Daihatsu Terios which is essentially the same SUV with a diffeerent badge. Toyota Rush comes only in full time 4WD.

Edited by Vit4wd

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Toyota Rush comes with 2WD auto, it's a RWD. Terios comes in 2WD manual or 4WD auto.

If you want 4WD Rush, have to special indent from Japan and wait 4 to 6 months and it will cost you much more.

Some people get Rush because it's a Toyota badge and they want a 2WD AUTO, which is not available in Terios.

Edited by Dunno

I can't see the point of a 2WD SUV such as in this case - does anyone remember the Honda HRV? Almost the same concept. You're carrying around 200kg of additional weight for no reason, for a car that has almost the same internal space and layout as a Honda Jazz or Mitsubishi Colt. An Airwave would have more utility.

So it drinks like a 4WD because it weighs like one. It handles like a tall narrow vehicle (read: not very well at all), and does it have any decent offroading capability without 4WD? Sure, you get the commanding view, and you buy into the sporty lifestyle image when you drive it. Unfortunately it is a softroader at best.

Thanks for clarifying. Then the PIs whom I called are giving me false info. [thumbsdown]

In that case, the Rush really feels very sluggish for a 2WD SUV. I noticed the auto gear changes were very jerky too. Is yours like that too?

* No offence. I know you own a Rush.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Does people who ride scramblers all go off roads? Does people who drive Ferraris all go to the race tracks? Get the point? [laugh]

2WD SUVs can still do some decent offroads. Go to www.rushteriosclub.com and you'll see quite a few off-roads events organised and some of our bros join in the SUVEC trips too. SUVEC also has quite a lot of 2WD going for the trips.

You are wrong about internal space. Layout concept is the same but the space is different. Try carrying a 29" TV or mountain bike in a Jazz or Colt, can?

Correction, 11km/l to me is as good as some saloon cars. Try a Fortuner...see if you can get 8km/l average?

Edited by Dunno

(edited)

What I said. You're buying into the image and lifestyle associated with a vehicle of that nature.

I had to do my research on this, but both the Terios/Rush and the Jazz have the same rear cargo capacity (380 litres), both with rear seats up.

The Jazz has 1300+ litres with seats down. Daihatsu claims 755 litres.

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/new/car_featur...=64305320070101

http://www.daihatsu.com/news/n2006/06011701/

Edited by Ncp91

Neutral Newbie

Same space in terms of litres does not mean same dimensions to fit items. Jazz is not tall enough to fit taller items, like a mountain bike. Sanity check, 1300+ litres in such a small car? Do they mean front passenger seat and driver seat also fold down [laugh]

(edited)

I suppose mountain bikes can go in without disassembly for the Rush. It is quite a tall car after all.

The Jazz can only do two bikes with their front wheels removed. Or perhaps they used smaller-than-normal bikes to give the illusion of space. I guess I stand corrected. [:p]

2040318.004.mini6L.jpg

Edited by Ncp91