Auto-tranny breakdown: Any warning signs ?

Darth_mel

Neutral Newbie
Are there any visible symptoms leading to a faulty auto-tranny ?

no bro. my ride went dead on the first day of cny and this despite having the agent confirmed the gear was ok during svcing! i suspected it was wrong when i sent for svcing [mad]

the only signs i got was a blinking "d" on the dashboard and complete zero power on the car. remember i was on the right lane cruising and it just went dead. can you imagine the screeches i hear behind me?

my ride was only at 40k :(

↡ Advertisement

Wow,quite an experience! would you mind telling us which

madis yours and how did compensate you for the shock?

Regards,

Neutral Newbie
Ic. i usually change at 40K

Me, 20k.. =)

40k is standard. But 20k the atf is black enough. =p

A colleague's 1992 G7 Corolla 1.6A's auto tranny is still original & working fine after 220,000km.

Very impressive indeed.

Gone are the days of rock solid Made-in-Japan Toyotas.

======================

My Corona's tranny started to have problems/delay shifting into reverse when it was cold at >200K km. Had it re-built at Khangs for >$2K. Now it's >300K km & still working fine. [thumbsup] Let's see if it wil last >400K km. with a lot of TLC. [sly]

Main thing is to use good, synthetic ATF & try not to get stuck in too many jams. The heat will kill the tranny faster. Synthetic ATF can withstand heat better so go for it.

bro, my ride will be coming 4 years and nearly 160k mileage. [laugh]

so i shld take note of the knocking sounds and jamming of gear.

this thread really comes at the right time. [thumbsup]

hmm.. i'm @ 151k km now, and my auto trans is still working fine..

i drain and fill my auto trans every 30-50k km.

just drop the autotrans oil pan recently after 100k km.

once i notice gear slippage, earliest i ever felt is @ 30k km, i'll do a drain and refill.

regular fluid changes will help extend the life. of course jack rabbit starting, driving up to genting, flooring the accelerator after getting stuck in the jam.. etc.. will make things wear and tear faster.

mazda 323 [;)]

yo dude... my 323 is abt the same mileage as urs. i just follow the service interval according to the mazda recommendations. been with city auto all these while. hope the auto trans can survive lah. [;)]

Hahaha. But it's hard to say about the auto tranny. Sometimes it lasts & lasts & sometimes it goes kaput quite fast. [sweatdrop]

I guess the maintenance & driving style affects it quite a lot. Also the kind of maintenance done by the AD's is important. Get a screwed-up mechanic & then u [bigcry]

does frequent changing of gear (for example change to N while waiting at traffic light etc) cause it to fail earlier?

Causes pre mature wear and tear. Leave it in 'D' and step on brakes will do. Or if your legs are lazy, just pull up your handbrakes.

Neutral Newbie

flushing is highly recommended, but real expensive as lots of fluids is used.. so i do a drain and fill more frequently. also to find a shop that knows that they r doing is also... [:|]

yup, applies to cvt too. check your owner's manual for recommended fluid replacement, keep to that at least. singapore start stop traffic is considered sever usage.

hmm.. i'm @ 151k km now, and my auto trans is still working fine..

i drain and fill my auto trans every 30-50k km.

just drop the autotrans oil pan recently after 100k km.

once i notice gear slippage, earliest i ever felt is @ 30k km, i'll do a drain and refill.

regular fluid changes will help extend the life. of course jack rabbit starting, driving up to genting, flooring the accelerator after getting stuck in the jam.. etc.. will make things wear and tear faster.

mazda 323 [;)]

bro, the gear slippage is how? [hur] mine just over 30K, intend to flush the fluid at 36K

Neutral Newbie

i hope so too that it can last as long as possible [;)]

but 323 quite tough despite the torture i put it thru in it's earlier stages of it's life [laugh]

so far other problems i had was leaking radiator pipe, radiator fan failure, and recently.. tapping sound @ 2.4k rpm.

maybe have to adjust tappet when i go for timing belt change, which is coming up soon. when did u last change your timing belt? think mine was @ 90k, forgotten liaoz [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

slippage ah.. takes longer for the gear to engage when it changes from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.. most obvious @ 1-2..

gear changes r rough, not so smooth.. very obvious, can feel

hmm.. LC20 does help to extend the fluid life as well.

different tranny got different fluid change schedule, check your owner's manual :)

seldom need to change twice as early, eg, mine's 50k km, rarly encounter problems @ 25k km. thats based on my own limited experience though.

but then, maybe good to flush as there should be more wear metal during the initial run.

if u don't encounter slippage problems, etc.. no need to change prematurely, waste of oil. [laugh]

In Reply To
does frequent changing of gear (for example change to N while waiting at traffic light etc) cause it to fail earlier? [/reply]

Causes pre mature wear and tear. Leave it in 'D' and step on brakes will do. Or if your legs are lazy, just pull up your handbrakes.

thats what i taught too..but some people i knew advice on changing to N..

1. I doubt there is a frequent need to shift between D and N at traffic light. If it is, why need an auto gearbox in the 1st place?

2. However, it should be more common to shift from D to other gear for the need of more hastened pick-up or steep slop climbing.

Regards,

bro, my ride will be coming 4 years and nearly 160k mileage. laugh.gif

so i shld take note of the knocking sounds and jamming of gear.

this thread really comes at the right time. thumbsup.gif

Maybe should look at changing rides liaoz! MZ3's prices really low as compared to the time when we went to VC.

I believe that gear slippage should be 1 of the early tell tale sign i.e RPM goes up but Speedometer climbs ver slowly or worse is never move at all [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Regular change of ATF is 1 of the preventive measures [nod][nod][nod]

I normally change mine at 18K~19K interval [:)]

↡ Advertisement