MALAYSIA TIPS - Long Distance Driving Trips

Ls430

Long Distance Driving Tips

Heading for the highway

With the June holidays around the corner The Highway offers you and your family some crucial pointers on preparing both yourself and your car for long distance haul, whether its just across the Causeway or even further afield.

Things to check before a long trip

Tyres

Check if the tyre treads are still good - there should be a minimum of between 2-3mm thread depth. A thread wear indicator is a raised part of the tread that will appear when the thread is reaching its minimum safe tread depth. On most cars the front tyres will wear out faster than the rear ones. If they have about 5,000km on them, it might be good to have them rotated with the rear tyres. Tyres should be rotated every 5,000 to 10,000km in order for all four tyres to wear evenly. Note: on some high-performance models, the rear tyres will be a different size to the front tyres. In this instance the tyres should never be swapped over. Always check that front and rear tyres are the same size before rotation.

Remember to check that the spare tyre is useable - it tends to be forgotten until it needs to be used - by which time it's too late. It should be under slightly more pressure than the other four tyres. The owner's manual should have the recommended pressures for each tyre, including the spare. Always set the tyre pressures when cold to ensure the correct inflation pressures.

Engine

Long distance driving is actually less taxing on an engine than stop and go city traffic. Even so, if it hasn't been serviced for a while, it would be wise to bring the car in for a check-up. Another thing to look out for might be the condition of the various rubber hoses - if they are soft and swollen, they should be changed before they burst.

Other things to look into are levels for coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid and the windscreen washer reservoir. If you are not mechanically familiar with your vehicle, the AA offers a comprehensive pre-trip vehicle inspection for you.

Emergency Equipment

Anyone driving along a highway must have is a reflective warning triangle. Should a car breakdown, you should pull over to the road shoulder and deploy the triangle at least 60m behind the car - more if you can safely do so. It should be placed far enough to allow the other cars to reduce speed and avoid your car. Also remember to get all the passengers out of the car and off the highway.

Other things that might come in handy include a can of tyre foam, a multi-purpose flashlight that includes a blinker, and an empty emergency petrol can.

Should you suffer a breadown, remember that as AAS members, you have access to the services of AA (Malaysia) when you are across the Causeway. Call their toll free 24-hour emergency hotline at 1800 880 808 for assistance or advice on the location if the nearest approved workshop. More details are available on the internet at www.aas.com.sg.

Pre-Trip Health Inspection

Basic checks you should always carry out on your car before a long distance trip.

Headlights

Carry spare headlight bulbs and ensure main beam and dip are working.

Engine

Check fluid levels for coolant, brakes, power steering and windscreen washer.

Tyres and Wheels

Ensure no sharp objects are embedded and tread is at least 2mm deep.

Baby Seat

Should be securely fastened. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Petrol

Have at least 3/4 tank filled before reaching Singapore customs.

Overseas driving tips

Take frequent breaks

Most Singaporeans are not used to long distance driving as we don't get much exposure to journeys longer than an hour. In most instances highway driving is quite a monotonous activity and spending many hours behind the wheel puts a tremendous strain on the driver. If there is a single designated driver, make frequent rest stops, and someone should be assigned to keep the driver alert and entertained.

Not all highways are equal

Most of us are used to the PIE or CTE, which are wide and well-lit, but this may not be the case for highways outside the major city areas overseas. Because of night lighting is often poor or non-existent, try to avoid doing any long distance driving at night.

Beware of jetlag

Jumping into a rented car immediately after a 12-hour intercontinental flight is not a good idea. The combination of jetlag, unfamiliar roads and the unfamiliarity of the car increase the chances of an accident happening. It is probably more prudent to take a taxi or airport limousine to one's hotel immediately after the flight, and collecting the rental car after a night's rest.

A handy rule of thumb for overcoming jetlag is that it takes one day for every timezone crossed. This means if the time difference between Singapore and London is seven hours, it will take seven days for one's body to fully recover. Few of us will have the luxury of this time frame to adjust our body clocks, so caffeine and exposure to sunlight are some of the more popular short cuts that people used to adjust their body clocks.

Getting prepared

Try to do some research before embarking on a long distance drive. The information one gets from maps and guidebooks of the place you are going to visit seldom goes to waste. A host of maps are available from the AA. More often than not, there may trains or buses to most locations you want to visit. Whenever possible, renting a car should be limited to local drives to out-of-the-way locations.

Should you be driving, the AA has offices all over the world which can help one to plan suitable itineraries and driving routes.

Using the right rubber

Save fuel with the right tyre

To really stretch the fuel dollar and get the most mileage from each tank of petrol, you should consider installing energy conserving tyres, otherwise known as tyres with low rolling resistance. Not only do these tyres save fuel, they are also designed to last longer than normal.

Here are just some low rolling resistance tyres worth considering:

Bridgestone Turanza GR-80

The successor to the popular Turanza GR-50, the GR-80 boasts a tread pattern that is specifically designed to suppress vibration and noise from the road surface. This tyre also uses AQ Donut II technology, which consists of a unique compound that promotes wet handling and improves durability.

Michelin XM1

Apart from being a quiet and comfortable tyre, the XM1 uses Michelin's Energy Green X compound to allow it to have low rolling resistance. Michelin claims that cars fitted with this tyre will save about two litres of fuel for every 1000 kilometres travelled. Also, the XM1's generous silica content should provide first-class wet performance and excellent longevity.

Pirelli P3000 Energy

The P3000 Energy is a "green" tyre that is like no other. It not only promotes better fuel consumption, but Pirelli also managed to place it in the "T" speed rating (up to 190km/h) segment, which is a rarity for this kind of tyre. This incredible performance is due to the development a the newly developed tread compund and pattern. Those seeking for a tyre that is capable of providing both performance and fuel-saving benefits should give the P3000 a try.

Passion for Performance

On the other side of the spectrum, a long distance drive may be an excuse to really push your car to the limit. For these performance enthusiasts gripping power and high-speed stability are paramount, and fuel efficiency, longevity and noise are secondary.

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position

Jam-packed with Bridgestone's technical know-how from their Formula One racing experience, their flagship Potenza S-03 is one of the top players in the ultra-high performance tyre category. By applying the AQ Donut II technology, the S-03 has better straight-line stability and a consistent surface contact that enhances both wet and dry handling.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2

Hoping to continue the success of the Pilot Sport, the second-generation Pilot Sport is a completely new tyre from its predecessor. It has a more rigid construction, softer compound and a reduced grooved tread pattern for better contact patch and more responsive handling. The VCP (Variable Contact Patch) system allows the rubber contact area to increase during cornering, while the asymmetric tread pattern should provide outstanding wet and dry handling.

Pirelli P Zero Rosso

"Zero" refers to zero limit or no limit, and the "Rosso" name is there because it symbolises the love of driving fast cars. By formulating some of the most technologically advanced ingredients for the tread compound, the P Zero Rosso is circuit-ready and should also provide excellent performance in the wet also. Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini are some of the manufacturers that equip their cars with the P Zero Rosso from the factory.

If you can afford it . . .

For drivers who are willing to invest a bit more money, a long distance trip might be a good excuse to install the following equipment:

Ttinted window film

For long drives, the full-strength of the equatorial sun beating down on a car can turn its interior into a green house. The installation of a window film can help to significantly reduce the heat penetration into the passenger compartment and reduce the glare of the sun. As the airconditioning has less work to do to cool the car down, there could be a fuel savings of about 3% on fuel. Note: Ensure the film you purchase is accepted by the LTA's Standards, Productivity and Innovation Board (SPRING). Legally, the light transmission for the front windescreen and two passenger windows must be at least 70% and the rear windscreen and passenger windows must be at least 50%.

Automatic fire extinguisher

An automatic fire extinguisher containing a fire suppression agent can be installed directly around the engine. If and when a fire occurs, a pressurised canister of halotron gas will be released, absorbing the surrounding oxygen and extinguishing the flame. The extinguisher system is completely self-contained and requires no external wiring or electrical supply.

In-Car Entertainment

Passengers - especially children - easily get restless when in the car for an extended period of time. You might want to consider installing an in-car entertainment system that can play DVDs and VCDs in addition to conventional CDs and radio. There are many of these kinds of systems to choose from now, such as the Blaupunkt IVDM-7002 with its built-in 7-inch screen to save you the hassle and additional expense of separate monitors.

What do all those signs mean . . .

Malaysian road signs aren't all in convenient English - many are written in Bahasa Melayu. DOn't drive ignorantly into danger. Stay safe by learning what these signs mean - take this guide on your holiday trip with you.

THANKS TO AA

↡ Advertisement

thanks for gd info, btw, how to know which tyre is gd and suitable for my car? those recommend in the articles izzit suitable for all type of car?

i think there are somemore specific premium tires models suitable for long distance driving,

but it depends on tyre size if not mistaken.

what car you are using now?

• Praise 1

tires really very crucial criteria for safety driving. i ever seen accident caused by tire bursting at high way, that's terrible. that's y better spend more money on high quality tyre especially for those often on long distance driving like me. myself using cc6.

• Praise 2

Er ....... I thought it is how you air your tyres.  When going on a long distance trip, deflate your tyres slightly, as air expand lor.

I use Cheap Cheap tyres like kumho, my all time favourite.  4 for $300 New.

tires really very crucial criteria for safety driving. i ever seen accident caused by tire bursting at high way, that's terrible. that's y better spend more money on high quality tyre especially for those often on long distance driving like me. myself using cc6.

• Praise 1

When I saw TIPS in the title, I thought we wanted to discuss market rate for KOPI LUI [:p][drivingcar][wave]

Have not driven in for many years. Nowadays still need to or can give? I read stories how they now catch u for bribing

Er ....... I thought it is how you air your tyres.  When going on a long distance trip, deflate your tyres slightly, as air expand lor.

for long distance driving, especially on high speed, all tyres should be inflated slightly, not deflated.

• Praise 5

Wrong knowledge don't anyhow share!

You should increase the pressure in the tyres for sustained long distance at highway speed to reduce heat build-up!

• Praise 8

Bursting tyres are probably due to the rubber getting worn out.

There's a wear indicator in tyres and one should change accordingly.

It doesn't mean these tyres are lousy.

They may be made for comfort or grip and thus wear out faster.

• Praise 1

I totally agree with you as it sound logical.  But hor strangely, my car manual stated otherwise .......hmmmm ....... Anyway, I don't do anything about it lor.

So if going genting or hill area, best is inflat by extra 1-2bar? Then when going uphill deflat to normal -1bar

post-170907-0-70839600-1510661799_thumb.jpg

Actually, for me, never kenna even 1 ticket in both MAL and SG that end up paying money.

I don't pay money one, not a coin lor.

Ever twice stopped by road block at NSH on 2 occasion lor.  And when you see infront ALL the cars are SG one, you know what is happening lor.

The usual white piece of paper pretending to write something.

Polis keep saying I speeding, I said no lor.  After a few round they give up lor  and they let me go lor.

Take note hor, in recent years I don't have this kind of kopi thing lor ......... They stopped collecting kopi money ??  

Only recently, at jammed JB side custom, they start catching driver that wind down to smoke lor.  

When I saw TIPS in the title, I thought we wanted to discuss market rate for KOPI LUI [:p]  [drivingcar]  [wave]

Er ....... I thought it is how you air your tyres. When going on a long distance trip, deflate your tyres slightly, as air expand lor.

I use Cheap Cheap tyres like kumho, my all time favourite. 4 for $300 New.

For Long distance, Yes you are right in that the air temperature in the Tyres will increase. But when deflate or lowered tyre pressure will result in more heat produced and actually a lowered deflated Tyres caused Tyres to burst.

So in fact you have to pump up slightly more air. If usually your car is travelled with 1 driver and 1 passenger and you pump 220kpa, for Long distance driving, it’s safer to pump at least 230. If full loaf then should do minimum 20-30kpa more. Minimum nothing less than what’s recommended on the door side tyre pressure guide (if on stock size Tyres)

Tyre pressures usually can take up to 350kpa.

Edited by Chucky2007
  • Praise 1

Good to know what you should do when your windscreen shattered due to stones from the front vehicle in highway. How to continue driving to the next stop and ask for help.

Having emergency contacts will be helpful too. Don't rush and enjoy the drive.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1