MALAYSIA TIPS - Long Distance Driving Trips

Ls430

If you driving euro5 diesel car, dont forget to top up in sg or gelang patah r&r.

I got low fuel light entering malacca border and the next euro5 diesel station is petron after seremban exit.

Bring along a big plastic container. Those that are used to store oil and top up with diesel. [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Different between cc6 and uc6 what huh? Too many names of their tires until i blank what kind of tires that i need to use for my car. Ermmmm. 

cc6 is for comfort while uc6 is for ultimate contract,aka UHP tyre.

see what is your preference

Hi, I be getting my new car Nissan Qashqai soon, will be driving up to Penang within days getting my car..

May I ask nowadays do we still need to ârun inâ the new car to be able to drive such long distance ?

My car agent say is normal and ok to drive Long distance and no need to ârun inâ cos nowadays cars technology is different. But I am still quite sceptical and hope to have more views or comments on it.

Thank you in advance.

Pls ask your AD what the engine oil inside your car is. If it's mineral oil, then not advisable to go high rev (was told not more than 3k rpm) as mineral oil does not have the properties of a fully synthetic eo.
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Remember don't drink too much water, or else you will need petrol kiosks more than the car does!

RainX is a "must have" for long distance trips in MY, especially in current season, when you don't know when it will rain. Really can see its greatness in heavy downpours.

Then tires, brakes, brake pads, clutch lining, all check properly. Most importantly, enough rest and break stops!

• Praise 1

Er ....... I thought it is how you air your tyres.  When going on a long distance trip, deflate your tyres slightly, as air expand lor.

I use Cheap Cheap tyres like kumho, my all time favourite.  4 for $300 New.mayb 

maybe you can try the continental tyres  bcuz i also use this brand of tyre on my car due to the price are slightly cheaper than other premium brand of tyres and and it have good performance on driving especially in wet road ..as i know this conti tyre have be the 1st choice to most people

Edited by FarhanahNurul
  • Praise 2

that's many factors causing accident, 

expensive tyres doesn't mean guarantee road safety,

my experience is send my car to service before long distance driving.

at least can ensure the car is safe for driving.

hmm i did't agree with you that expensive tyres  does't not mean guarantee safety

mostly occur accident becuz of the tyres problem like tyre blad and they does recognize this problem

as me use continental tyres for 2 years edy did't have this problem so i think that choose the rite tyres for using with safety purpose is important..

Anyone knows about conti tires? Because now im using a michellin. Then my tires now already bald. So i need to change to conti tires. My friends said that conti is better than others. I do a review and many saying that. Is it conti can make our tires stable when on wet road? Thinking until now. hmm. 

Then i need to changed my tires to UC6. is it ok ? Thats why i ask and need opinion from you gais. Conti better or not. Hmm.

i heard conti price is much cheaper than others premium tyres like michelin,

so if u want to save costs, maybe u can try,

my friend using uc6, he said uc6 performs well when braking during raining days on wet road.

Different between cc6 and uc6 what huh? Too many names of their tires until i blank what kind of tires that i need to use for my car. Ermmmm. 

i wanna know also, i check in their website seems like cc6 more suits for long distance driving and has most lower noise level compare to others. maybe u can check with conti dealers for opinion. they knows better than us.

• Praise 1

cc6 is for comfort while uc6 is for ultimate contract,aka UHP tyre.

see what is your preference

Yeahh! Maybe you should try uc6. Bcz uc6 more better than cc6. The low level of noisy tyre will make your car run smoothly.  [;)]

For Long distance, Yes you are right in that the air temperature in the Tyres will increase. But when deflate or lowered tyre pressure will result in more heat produced and actually a lowered deflated Tyres caused Tyres to burst.

So in fact you have to pump up slightly more air. If usually your car is travelled with 1 driver and 1 passenger and you pump 220kpa, for Long distance driving, it’s safer to pump at least 230. If full loaf then should do minimum 20-30kpa more. Minimum nothing less than what’s recommended on the door side tyre pressure guide (if on stock size Tyres)

Tyre pressures usually can take up to 350kpa.

What a nice information that i get. So i will make sure my tyre will always keep safe. Its easier for people who already know the knowledge about car. 

I am a frequent user of the NSHW as i used to do day-trips to KL for meeting.

Set off in the early dawn and back at night/evening.

The most important thing is TRY not to do any major servicing or changes to your car just days before the trip.

A lot of people always do their servicing or change tyres/brake pads 1 or 2 days before the trip.

Do it at least a week before your trip so you can get used to the changes and have time to rectify.

Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Too many examples but i will list a few.

Before my trip went to change tyres, did high speed balancing then did my alignment at Kenny.

Everything was good until i was at NSHW at above 120km/hr and i feel the shaking of the wheels.

Immediately i knew the balancing was not done correctly as i have tested this car at >240km/hr before.

It was a torture all the way to KL as i normally cruise 150-180km/hr...

Reached there, ask my business partners and did my balancing again.

Another time was i did my belts change the afternoon before my trip. The next morning when the air was cool on the way to 2nd link, my engine warning light up. Had to cancel my trip, turned out the mechanic forgot to connect a sensor back..

If you are driving a car with quite old halogen bulbs, try to keep a pair of spares in your car. Because of the high speed travelling and vibrations, it often fails. LED and HID usually no such issues.

I even have a tire patch kit and electric pump on standby although i have a full size spare tire.

thanks for sharing. first time hearing of needing to keep spare halogen bulbs in the car...
  • Praise 1

thanks for sharing. first time hearing of needing to keep spare halogen bulbs in the car...

I used to have this good habit of changing halogen bulbs every year.

As halogen bulbs age, brightness will reduce.

I used to have this good habit of changing halogen bulbs every year.

As halogen bulbs age, brightness will reduce.

i see... think reduced brightness in SG is still ok as our roads are brightly lit, but if go MY often then may be better to change more frequently... 

my current replacement is only when bulb blown...  [sweatdrop]

i see... think reduced brightness in SG is still ok as our roads are brightly lit, but if go MY often then may be better to change more frequently... 

my current replacement is only when bulb blown...  [sweatdrop]

I have hi astig.

I hate dim head light.

it is a good idea carrying spare bulbs

otherwise can buy from the next petrol kiosk

if die die must change at the roadside and no spare bulbs and your car has two H7 per side, you can put the working high beam bulb into the burnt dim headlamp

• Praise 2

spare bulb is good to have, but not critical.

I only recommend to change the critical parts:

1, Fan belts - those rubber pieces that spins your aircon compressor, alternator and sometimes power steering. Change them out if they are due. Belts are cheap, but breakdown is not.

2. Cooling system hoses - they tend to breakdown at the worst moment. If you've not changed them before, all those "hot" hoses should be replaced at some point of time. "Hot" as in those hoses handling the hot coolant before the radiator. After the radiator, the hoses are cool, they last much longer.

Check and change as necessary

1. Brake pads

2. Battery

3. Tyres  - make sure they are properly inflated, including the spare

• Praise 1

it is a good idea carrying spare bulbs

otherwise can buy from the next petrol kiosk

if die die must change at the roadside and no spare bulbs and your car has two H7 per side, you can put the working high beam bulb into the burnt dim headlamp

thanks boss for the tip. although will be dangerous to stop on the roadside on NSHW at night... i would probably just whing it and continue driving unless both sides blow...

thanks boss for the tip. although will be dangerous to stop on the roadside on NSHW at night... i would probably just whing it and continue driving unless both sides blow...

T2 is the boss

I don't have the experience of changing bulb on NSHW but changed a new right rear tire once, the tire shop didn't seat the bead properly and it went completely flat in a matter of seconds while I was doing 1XX

The car went fishtailing but I managed to slow it down and stop on the shoulder

The scary part was cars zooming past me while I was changing the tire, they felt like just a few inches away from me and the amount of air a car is pushing at those speed is amazing, it was like engine power fighting with a wall of thick air

↡ Advertisement