MALAYSIA TIPS - Long Distance Driving Trips

Ls430

I would blame it partly on the tire shops here. They don't stock every loading, and most customers don't ask or check, so they just sell what's in their stock that matches the profile.

Agree. Very unethical for the tyre shop to not recommend and install tyres which are suitable for a particular car.

• Praise 2

And many also don't check year of manufacture lor.  Tyres shelf life generally 5 years ??

So I usually don't buy if more than 1 year lor.  I need to change tyres every 55~60kkm lor or 2 years lor.

So worst case 2 years as 2+2 still got 1 year buffer lor....

I would blame it partly on the tire shops here. They don't stock every loading, and most customers don't ask or check, so they just sell what's in their stock that matches the profile.

• Praise 2

Also check ur brake pad, if getting thin better replace esp if u drive to genting.

Also apply rainx for ur side windows and mirror to improve visibility when raining.

Yeap, RainX is very helpful for rainy days. Apply on side mirrors and side windows.

You'll be amazed what you can see during a heavy downpour, while others struggle with blurred visions.

MY has a similar product with the same chemical, it works the same way.

The chemical treats the glass and repels water.

For tyres, again, make sure they are properly inflated. Check for any deflation due to puncture before you move your vehicle.

Also be aware of its specs, what is the max pressure and what is the max loading (weight) it can carry.

Max speed is also indicated by the spec.

Keep below those max readings and you'll be fine.

• Praise 2

Hi, I be getting my new car Nissan Qashqai soon, will be driving up to Penang within days getting my car..

May I ask nowadays do we still need to “run in” the new car to be able to drive such long distance ?

My car agent say is normal and ok to drive Long distance and no need to “run in” cos nowadays cars technology is different. But I am still quite sceptical and hope to have more views or comments on it.

Thank you in advance.

• Praise 1

Yeap, new car no need to break in nowadays.

If you've seen them running your car around before you get it, they've already broken in for you. [laugh]

However, it's good advice not to do hard braking for the first 1000 km or so.

The same advice you get when replacing new brake pads.

tires really very crucial criteria for safety driving. i ever seen accident caused by tire bursting at high way, that's terrible. that's y better spend more money on high quality tyre especially for those often on long distance driving like me. myself using cc6.

yup this cc6 tyres is quite good for using a'm also use the same cc6 tyres becuz it have low lvl of noisy when driving compared to other brand of tyres..thaty it alway be the choice to me 

I am a frequent user of the NSHW as i used to do day-trips to KL for meeting.

Set off in the early dawn and back at night/evening.

The most important thing is TRY not to do any major servicing or changes to your car just days before the trip.

A lot of people always do their servicing or change tyres/brake pads 1 or 2 days before the trip.

Do it at least a week before your trip so you can get used to the changes and have time to rectify.

Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Too many examples but i will list a few.

Before my trip went to change tyres, did high speed balancing then did my alignment at Kenny.

Everything was good until i was at NSHW at above 120km/hr and i feel the shaking of the wheels.

Immediately i knew the balancing was not done correctly as i have tested this car at >240km/hr before.

It was a torture all the way to KL as i normally cruise 150-180km/hr...

Reached there, ask my business partners and did my balancing again.

Another time was i did my belts change the afternoon before my trip. The next morning when the air was cool on the way to 2nd link, my engine warning light up. Had to cancel my trip, turned out the mechanic forgot to connect a sensor back..

If you are driving a car with quite old halogen bulbs, try to keep a pair of spares in your car. Because of the high speed travelling and vibrations, it often fails. LED and HID usually no such issues.

I even have a tire patch kit and electric pump on standby although i have a full size spare tire.

• Praise 6

Hi, I be getting my new car Nissan Qashqai soon, will be driving up to Penang within days getting my car..

May I ask nowadays do we still need to “run in” the new car to be able to drive such long distance ?

My car agent say is normal and ok to drive Long distance and no need to “run in” cos nowadays cars technology is different. But I am still quite sceptical and hope to have more views or comments on it.

Thank you in advance.

In some handbooks, manufacturer advises running in procedures like these:

1) Do not over-rev (eg > 5000rpm)

2) Do not drag the engine (pull high gear at low speed, ie engine straining <2000rpm)

3) Do not keep the engine running at the same revs for long distances. Vary the road speed (eg from 100kmh for 5km, then 110-120-130-120-110-100).

4) Be gentle with the throttle/steering/braking inputs.

Regardless of modern car technologies, it may still be good to follow some of these guidelines for the car's long term health.

I think it is the excessive flexing of under inflated tire side wall that generate the heat and weaken the carcass

It happens when the tyre tread surface hits the road - it flattens and forms the contact patch. As the tyre rotates and the contact patch leaves the road surface, the flattened tyre tread wants to spring back to being curved again, and creates a wave that generates heat. 

An under-inflated tyre will lead to more waves of bigger amplitudes, and the waves may not even have dissipated before it hits the road and forms the contact patch again. And inevitably the heat builds up throughout the tyre, leading to eventual tyre failure.

post-2139-0-02024200-1510798200.jpg

post-2139-0-86117800-1510798371.png

post-2139-0-02024200-1510798200.jpg

post-2139-0-86117800-1510798371.png

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 4

It happens when the tyre tread surface hits the road - it flattens and forms the contact patch. As the tyre rotates and the contact patch leaves the road surface, the flattened tyre tread wants to spring back to being curved again, and creates a wave that generates heat.

An under-inflated tyre will lead to more waves of bigger amplitudes, and the waves may not even have dissipated before it hits the road and forms the contact patch again. And inevitably the heat builds up throughout the tyre, leading to eventual tyre failure.

the forum stop me from praising you... haha

May I ask nowadays do we still need to ârun inâ the new car to be able to drive such long distance ?

My car agent say is normal and ok to drive Long distance and no need to ârun inâ cos nowadays cars technology is different. But I am still quite sceptical and hope to have more views or comments on it.

Thank you in advance.

Don't forget to run in your tyres.. Which I think should be new.

Don't go too fast as the contacts and grip aren't really conditioned yet.

After about a couple hundred km u are free to loot

Anyone knows about conti tires? Because now im using a michellin. Then my tires now already bald. So i need to change to conti tires. My friends said that conti is better than others. I do a review and many saying that. Is it conti can make our tires stable when on wet road? Thinking until now. hmm. 

Then i need to changed my tires to UC6. is it ok ? Thats why i ask and need opinion from you gais. Conti better or not. Hmm. 

Anyone knows about conti tires? Because now im using a michellin. Then my tires now already bald. So i need to change to conti tires. My friends said that conti is better than others. I do a review and many saying that. Is it conti can make our tires stable when on wet road? Thinking until now. hmm. 

Then i need to changed my tires to UC6. is it ok ? Thats why i ask and need opinion from you gais. Conti better or not. Hmm. 

Different between cc6 and uc6 what huh? Too many names of their tires until i blank what kind of tires that i need to use for my car. Ermmmm. 

May I ask nowadays do we still need to ârun inâ the new car to be able to drive such long distance ?

My car agent say is normal and ok to drive Long distance and no need to ârun inâ cos nowadays cars technology is different. But I am still quite sceptical and hope to have more views or comments on it.

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't suggest it. Not that I disagree with the car agent or other bros here. The car can make it.

But I am of the opinion that the first servicing (1000 km) is the most important and looking at the absolute distance you will be travelling, it will be about 2000 km before you can do your servicing at the earliest.

Collection of car to trip date about 200 km

Trip to penang and back 1500 km

Adhoc shopping trip in Malaysia plus after returning from trip 300 km

The car can handle it but a lot of the journey will be in Malaysia unless you are super confident that if anything goes wrong you know where to service in Malaysia.

Yeah I am a stickler for keeping to maintenance schedule, esp the first few ones.

If you driving euro5 diesel car, dont forget to top up in sg or gelang patah r&r.

I got low fuel light entering malacca border and the next euro5 diesel station is petron after seremban exit.

↡ Advertisement