MALAYSIA TIPS - Long Distance Driving Trips

Ls430

T2 is the boss

I don't have the experience of changing bulb on NSHW but changed a new right rear tire once, the tire shop didn't seat the bead properly and it went completely flat in a matter of seconds while I was doing 1XX

The car went fishtailing but I managed to slow it down and stop on the shoulder

The scary part was cars zooming past me while I was changing the tire, they felt like just a few inches away from me and the amount of air a car is pushing at those speed is amazing, it was like engine power fighting with a wall of thick air

yeah if its a blown tyre then bobian have to change... some of the other MCFers in the other thread was saying better to call for PLUS truck to help change instead of changing yourself due to safety considerations... many motorists like to speed along road shoulder...
↡ Advertisement

yeah if its a blown tyre then bobian have to change... some of the other MCFers in the other thread was saying better to call for PLUS truck to help change instead of changing yourself due to safety considerations... many motorists like to speed along road shoulder...

that was 1998, I was young, single and bo kiasi, just wanted to continue my journey asap

now probably will hide behind the guard rail and call PLUS truck

I am a frequent user of the NSHW as i used to do day-trips to KL for meeting.

Set off in the early dawn and back at night/evening.

The most important thing is TRY not to do any major servicing or changes to your car just days before the trip.

A lot of people always do their servicing or change tyres/brake pads 1 or 2 days before the trip.

Do it at least a week before your trip so you can get used to the changes and have time to rectify.

Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Too many examples but i will list a few.

Before my trip went to change tyres, did high speed balancing then did my alignment at Kenny.

Everything was good until i was at NSHW at above 120km/hr and i feel the shaking of the wheels.

Immediately i knew the balancing was not done correctly as i have tested this car at >240km/hr before.

It was a torture all the way to KL as i normally cruise 150-180km/hr...

Reached there, ask my business partners and did my balancing again.

Another time was i did my belts change the afternoon before my trip. The next morning when the air was cool on the way to 2nd link, my engine warning light up. Had to cancel my trip, turned out the mechanic forgot to connect a sensor back..

If you are driving a car with quite old halogen bulbs, try to keep a pair of spares in your car. Because of the high speed travelling and vibrations, it often fails. LED and HID usually no such issues.

I even have a tire patch kit and electric pump on standby although i have a full size spare tire.

Good pointer bro.. also can share which workshops... better siam this workshops. Cmi even on sg roads..

If rain is expected, over inflate tyres especially if using nitrogen.

Also, it is good to check on the pressure after long distance in heavy rain.

Else, just run on recommended pressure.  Over inflation will reduce the contact patch to the road.

Get a breaker bar if concern about changing tyres. 

Turn off re-circulatory mode or wind down windows once in a while to let in fresh air especially if loaded with passengers. 

At the rest-stop,   let the vehicle run for a while to allow the cooling system to normalise. 

Think of which direction to steer when fish-tail. 

thanks boss for the tip. although will be dangerous to stop on the roadside on NSHW at night... i would probably just whing it and continue driving unless both sides blow...

Don't forget.. Cars come equipped with fog lights also.

Shouldn't be so sway DRL, pole lights, high, low beams and fogs lights all blow..

Edited by Solar
  • Praise 1

And yes.. There will be a few really long stretches on the nshw.. u will probably be tempted to speed.

While u must prob won't have their polis hiding, it'll be better to be careful to know your car's limits.

Last time also bo kiasi went up to nearly 200. The car felt floaty and steering very light.

At that kind of speed the handling and stopping ability has gone out of the window.

It was just a wagon, not a super car.

The really long and straight stretches are from JB to just before KL. After that, no more long straights to test top speed already.

And yes.. There will be a few really long stretches on the nshw.. u will probably be tempted to speed.

While u must prob won't have their polis hiding, it'll be better to be careful to know your car's limits.

Last time also bo kiasi went up to nearly 200. The car felt floaty and steering very light.
At that kind of speed the handling and stopping ability has gone out of the window.
It was just a wagon, not a super car.

The really long and straight stretches are from JB to just before KL. After that, no more long straights to test top speed already.

Can't remember which one but I believe it's after kl.

That was many years ago when I went Cameron Highlands.

One thing, can't afford mistakes at that speed.

Twitch to the steering wheel or hit a rock or pothole, or even animal dashing out can mean disaster.

Won't want to try that again..

Edited by Solar

If we are on the same page (NSH)

Mostly winding roads from KL to after Ipoh (mountain range).

After Ipoh to Butterworth mostly straight again but I find the roads there tend to look narrow and very bumpy with a lot of bridge crossings. Not as well maintained as the JB->KL stretch.

Speeding needs 100% concentration. If can't concentrate, better slow down.

Can't remember which one but I believe it's after kl.
That was many years ago when I went Cameron Highlands.

One thing, can't afford mistakes at that speed.
Twitch to the steering wheel or hit a rock or pothole, or even animal dashing out can mean disaster.

Won't want to try that again..

• Praise 2

I learn from, French driving law, that requires every driver must have a list of compulsory items in the car. And they impose heavy fines if the driver fails to have these items in the car.

From the compulsory items, the below are very relevant for us as drivers going up and down Malaysia

1. Extra pair of spectacles (if driver needs to wear them while driving)

2. Reflective vests (for you to wear in case of car breakdown and u need to stand on the road or do troubleshoot.

3. Extra spare headlight bulbs.

• Praise 1

I learn from, French driving law, that requires every driver must have a list of compulsory items in the car. And they impose heavy fines if the driver fails to have these items in the car.

From the compulsory items, the below are very relevant for us as drivers going up and down Malaysia

1. Extra pair of spectacles (if driver needs to wear them while driving)

2. Reflective vests (for you to wear in case of car breakdown and u need to stand on the road or do troubleshoot.

3. Extra spare headlight bulbs.

I’m quite surprised that I have items 1 and 2 because I felt they are common sense to have around.

Item 3 in Singapore I think quite ok cos most of our road are nicely lit.

I’m quite surprised that I have items 1 and 2 because I felt they are common sense to have around.

Item 3 in Singapore I think quite ok cos most of our road are nicely lit.

Having Items 1 & 2 are common sense.

I bought the vests in MY, orange for day & green for night.

Being long sighted, I only need a spare pair of Polarised dark glasses for driving.

Additional advice: DO NOT SAVE on a set of good tyres !

Even more crucial now during rainy season.

Save Drive Everyone !

• Praise 5

Having Items 1 & 2 are common sense.

I bought the vests in MY, orange for day & green for night.

Being long sighted, I only need a spare pair of Polarised dark glasses for driving.

Additional advice: DO NOT SAVE on a set of good tyres !

Even more crucial now during rainy season.

Save Drive Everyone !

Run in your new tyres first though.

Get it scrubbed with a few hundred km to improve the grip. Don't chiong right away

• Praise 1

Bring two wallet lor haha

One for own expense

The other one to treat polis some kopi

I do that too.. Not for the kopi, but in case touch wood kenna Rob, I can surrender this one, some tens of ringgit and expired credit cards
  • Praise 1

If we are on the same page (NSH)

Mostly winding roads from KL to after Ipoh (mountain range).

After Ipoh to Butterworth mostly straight again but I find the roads there tend to look narrow and very bumpy with a lot of bridge crossings. Not as well maintained as the JB->KL stretch.

Speeding needs 100% concentration. If can't concentrate, better slow down.

The stretch of NSH from Butterworth to Bukit Kayu Hitam is really very flat and straight. Paid fields on both side. Can see very far ahead.

• Praise 3

The stretch of NSH from Butterworth to Bukit Kayu Hitam is really very flat and straight. Paid fields on both side. Can see very far ahead.

I haven't been to further than Butterworth [laugh].

Will explore that part when i have the time.

↡ Advertisement