Why the latest craze with IDmax?

Yanuk

Neutral Newbie

Suddenly like everyone around me talking about it. What so special about them?

Edited by Yanuk
↡ Advertisement

Hi Bro Yanuk,

You long time no turnup at nasi padang ice meetup liao... what happened?

Anyway, I am not part of the 'everyone' that talk about this IDmax hor...I will start the ball rolling.. Perhaps this article as something to do with it?

Image Dynamcis IDMAX12 D2 Competition SQ/SPL 12" Subwoofer

The IDMAX subwoofers combine revolutionary design philosophy with applied engineering science achieving performance that must be experienced. They are a radical departure from conventional design that signifies a major advancement in driver technology and performance. The result is the first truly musical, long excursion, ultra-high SPL subwoofer.

• RMS Power: 600 WATTS
  • Max RMS Power: 1000 WATTS
  • Maximum Power: 1800 WATTS
  • Impedance: DUAL 2 OHM VOICE COIL
  • Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet): 1.0 - 1.3 CUFT
  • Ported Box Volume (cubic feet): 2.0 - 2.72 CUFT
  • Free Air: YES
  • Dual Voice Coil: YES
  • Sensitivity: 93.1 dB
  • Frequency Response: 10-150 Hz
  • Diameter: 12"
  • Mounting Depth: 8.25"
  • Cutout Diameter: 11.0"
  • Vas (liters): 5.71 CUFT
  • Fs (Hz): 20.0HZ
  • Qts: 0.35
  • Xmax (milimetters): 24.6MM
Report By Tom Nousaine

The Image Dynamics iDMAX12 D4 12-inch subwoofer is a royal treat: It's the king of response smoothness, power, and output.

Even at the lowest fundamental frequencies the IDMAX effortlessly reproduces the music faithfully with transient detail and tonal accuracy that is the result of very low harmonic distortion. Combine the musical abilities of the IDMAX with its ability to produce truly violent SPL levels and this subwoofers popularity is quickly understood.

Several mechanical design difficulties had to be conquered to attain the performance goals established for the IDMAX subwoofers.

Keep moving mass as light as possible to MAX-imize sensitivity.

Do not give up cone area to increase excursion, to MAX-imize volume of displacement

MAX-imize thermal power handling to reduce power compression and MAX-imize output at high power levels.

Motor and Suspension design with very long linear excursion for low distortion very high output operation.

The IDMAX conquers or MAX-imizes all of the above difficulties.

The IDMAX12 has 90.5% more linear displacement than an IDQ12 V.2 while it?s moving mass is over 20 grams lower (IDMAX12 = 141 grams versus IDQ12 V.2 = 165 grams). This is a real feat of engineering that truly yields MAX-imum output potential.

With the patent pending RaDiaToR? System we MAX-mized thermal power handling and reduced thermal power compression. The RaDiaToR? effectively increases the subwoofers ability to remove destructive heat from the voice coil increasing thermal power handling while virtually eliminating thermal related failures

Massive excursion engineered in the IDMAX boasts a SPL producing 24.9 mm one-way linear excursion (Xmax) with a 3.70" peak-to-peak (Xsus) suspension excursion.

Larger piston area results from the Unisurround V1.1 allowing the IDMAX to achieve very long excursion without reducing cone area. Since very little of the surround of a long excursion subwoofer actually contributes to the displacement of the subwoofer their reduced cone diameter results in lower displacement requiring a substantial increase in linear Xmax just to equal the displacement of the IDMAX.

To MAX-imize performance hundreds of hours were spent utilizing the latest computer aided engineering methods and Models built to design the parts necessary: cone body, suspension, voice coil, motor assembly, basket and surround. Rather than choosing to utilize the same parts common to most long excursion subwoofers, (and the limited performance that they are capable of) Image Dynamics has invested in tooling all of the proprietary parts necessary. You won?t find this performance or these parts in any other subwoofer.

The IDMAX performance is truly unique of long excursion subwoofers as they achieve high SPL even from small amplifiers. The reason for this is the IDMAX is like a Formula 1 Race car where advanced engineering, materials, and assembly techniques are utilized to maximize performance. From the Structural cored composite cone body to the high-tech voice-coil winding methods every part of the IDMAX was engineered to be extremely strong, yet super light in weight. The low moving mass of the IDMAX requires less suspension stiffness to balance the mass to the compliance for proper cone control at high power levels. Lower moving mass in a speaker results in higher efficiency because more power is being used to create sound rather than overcome weight. Softer high compliance suspensions also result in higher efficiency because less of your precious amplifier power is being used to overcome the stiffness of the suspension. So even with moderate power levels as low as 100 watts the IDMAX subwoofers will produce high output levels and with very high power levels up to 1800 watts they will produce truly explosive and violent levels of clean undistorted sub-bass.

Article taken from this url website

Edited by Bobcatsysop

Neutral Newbie

yah have been super busy with work.. super the no life. [:p] was about to buy the new rockford P2 4ohm DVC next month when it arrives but suddenly "everyone" seem to be talking about IDMax [thumbsup][thumbsup]

so I'm now [dizzy][dizzy] but at $450USD [shocked] and I most probably don't have the amp to drive it.

Poisonous place....

Hi Bro,

<<suddenly "everyone" seem to be talking about IDMax thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif >>

I repeat hor.. not me talking about IDMax earlier..

<<Poisonous place....>>

Since you asked for it, I gave the specs to you lor.. You had expected to be poisoned anyway right? This will help you decide better ?

Neutral Newbie

hahah ok ok.. that's why the 'everyone' was in quotes cos it obviously excludes ppl who are immuned from poison, like you [laugh]

hope to catch up with you soon. Haven't heard your new active setup yet.

Hi Bro,

I'm still not immuned from poison coz I managed to resist major upgrade for one year so far.

Oh yeah.. hope to see you in the next nasi padang ice meetup.

first and foremost, it plays REAL LOW and LOUD, blending the art of SQ and madness of SPL into one unit... [thumbsup] own one piece and u wont want to use other makes.

Hi Bro,

<< first and foremost, it plays REAL LOW and LOUD, blending the art of SQ and madness of SPL into one unit... thumbsup.gif own one piece and u wont want to use other makes.>>

Oh yes... I agree with you after hearing your IDMax last time. Amazing..

Sensitivity: 93.1 dB

Frequency Response: 10-150 Hz

Wow, this is indeed very good...The specs are out of this world man....

No wonder there's so much hype about it and yes it sounds really good...hehe, unfortunately i personally don't like th design..looks quite "old fashion" haha, ID users dun whack me ah hehe...

Hi Roy,

Most bros boxed up their subs so old fashioned or not, it is still hidden inside the box... most important is how low hz it can produce and how the punch sounds, right?... unlike yours where you need some form of display so design of the sub plays an important part in your decision.

Ya, exactly...performance is the main thing but well hehe...for me, i also focus on the looks, that's why i chose the woofer i chose...not the best for SQ, it's pretty decent, better than my old one, but i just like the way it looked :)

IDMax is a darn good sub i admit, one of the best...i dunno how the magnet looks but when i say i didn't like how it looked, i meant i didn't like the logo on the front :)The nicest logo i like is still the XXX...i like the way RE designed the logo, really nice. Honestly, i also dun like the DB logo cause well, DB looks like you know what haha...lucky they make nice magnets for me to display hehe..

But like you said, people who go for IDMax, dun show off their woofers...just pure performance...if only there's one that has the best of both worlds...hmmm....

Edited by Spinworkx

Hi Roy,

<<i dunno how the magnet looks but when i say i didn't like how it looked, i meant i didn't like the logo on the front>>

Here is how the magnet and logo looks like:

image002.gif