CVT vs 4AT/5AT

Ff2004

Neutral Newbie

I have come across a 1.5/1.6 car carrying CVT gear and another only with 4AT or 5AT. What are the pros and cons of having a CVT gear and having a 4AT gear?

Example - Latio and Sylphy having same engine but Latio with CVT and Sylphy with 4AT.

Why Nissan not giving Sylphy a CVT gear? Maybe Sylphy too heavy and need a 4AT which is more reponsive than CVT? I do not know the reason behind.

↡ Advertisement

Sylphy 2.0 comes with CVT.

Basically the more premium spec will come with the CVT gearbox, eg. Cefiro 3.5, Murano 3.5.

Let me re-phrase:

The CVT gearbox is meant for the more premium spec, hence only one spec/model will have the CVT gearbox. As sylphy has the 2.0 model, it is available only on the 2.0 spec rather den a selection in the 1.5L category.

Neutral Newbie

a question?? why are so many manufacturers adopting CVT and putting it in their premium models?? i supposed that CVT must have an edge over 4AT that Nissan is using it for their premium models too.. [confused]

Neutral Newbie

Sorry but beg to differ... whether cvt or not is not the catch on being a more premium package. Perhaps its just the way nissan package their varieties thats all. in fact cvt is not really as expensive as a conventional AT per se but just the maintenance being a little out of the norm thats all. hence, maintaining cvt may cost much more than maintaining a normal AT or MT. we know that a cvt basically works like a pully and belt, so, if ur car is heavy, u'd need a tougher pulling mechanism here. if this is not well designed or a compromise in the quality, it will give u nightmare. a more hardy gear train is the audi chain type cvt that offers a tough and accurate pull than a conventional one that has a risk of being torn or worn easily. consider an audi if u like cvt. so far, the japs have been trying hard. [sunny]

nissan haveb been ofering the murano 3.5L with CVT, and thats using the detune 350z engine. moreover, not all CVT system are design/make by the carmakers. some are source from different CVT makers.

Neutral Newbie

Thats how the design & calculations come into the picture. just imagine if they use a softer geartrain on a tougher engine... disaster. so, their choice in choosing which range of the gearbox is very crucial. nobody will design a big car with parts and mechanism from that of a small car unless they are asking for trouble. anyway, it should last for 3 year or 100,000km lah. after that, u should change ur car... [laugh]

you will find that the 4AT having a better response cause u can feel the gear "kick down" or change up.

CVT wise you dont find it that responsive as you wont feel the gear changing at all (infinte gearing). your rpm stay the same at a "ECU controlled" peak rpm for maxium efficency

well my mom test drove the latio sport. during the test drive she complained that the car like no power. but in fact she is going quite fast liao and the speed is still increasing quite fast without she knowing. Thats how smooth the CVT is.

Well no surprise, she brought the latio sport in the end.

Edited by Flameblade

Neutral Newbie

not really leh, i ever owned a cvt. its just the feeling of it changing its gear to give u an omph is absent that s all but in fact its acc is very much linear, smooth and catches up very much at the split of sec when the torque converter of the conventional AT changes its gear. i love its pick up feeling in fact. [thumbsup]

yah thats true. but i did read from somewheer nissan made the maruno3.5 with cvt to show that is is possible to fit a CVT in a big capacity car. well the murano have been on the market for a long time. and so far i have never seen any reports or issus with the murano3.5 with CVT having problems.

well give another few years, alot of new cars will come in CVT instead of 4AT.

My 2 cents [;)]

Edited by Flameblade

yeah it's very linear, but the cvt tranny means i have to allocate a safe amt of time to complete overtaking. Especially in dangerous situations(touch wood) when i need the immed power, i can't have it, and could result in accidents or not.

i drove e lancer cvt b4, floored the pedal and the engine was screaming but the car is still picking up. it's the difference between running up to speed, and sprinting off immed that explains my choice for traditional AT or steptronic.

↡ Advertisement