Better Tires put in Front or Behind?

Tkseah

Supercharged

My ride is FWD with front disc and rear drum brakes. Currently have 2 tires that are newer and in better condition than the other 2, tho all 4 r same brand, model n size. So should i put the better pair in front or behind? [confused][:)]

↡ Advertisement

Bro,

Here's a recent news report advising that newer tyres should be put at the rear. Cheers.

Getting tyres back to front?

TODAY, 21-22 April 2006

Most drivers believe that when changing two of their car's four tyres, the new pair should be fitted in front for safe steering and good grip when cornering.

However, new research done by Britain-based organisation TyreSafe has shown that it's actually best to install the new rubber on the rear wheels. This is regardless of whether the car is front- or rear-wheel drive.

TyreSafe's studies showed that there is usually a greater loss of control when a rear tyre suffers a puncture, so it makes sense to fit the new, less vulnerable tyres behind.

It also found that cars have a dangerous tendency to oversteer (that is, to lose grip behind and go into a spin) when the rear tyres were older than those in front.

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/184428print.asp - last article

Neutral Newbie

bro,

Really? Even the tire workshop will change the new tire in front w/o asking.. it's like by default the new tire should put in front!!

Any other bros came comment??

Thanks!

Neutral Newbie
My ride is FWD with front disc and rear drum brakes. Currently have 2 tires that are newer and in better condition than the other 2, tho all 4 r same brand, model n size. So should i put the better pair in front or behind? [confused][:)]

The better tyres always in front. Traction and braking critical for front wheels whether it is a FWD, RWD, or AWD [scholar]

It depends on the grip difference between the old and new tyres and the brake balance. Personally, the stability of the car under braking is more important to me than oversteer condition.

As 70-80 % of the braking efforts is on the front wheels, I reckon under hard braking, the car would be more stable with the new tyres up front. But this would really depend on the condition of the rear tyres as well.

As most cars are FWD, it should not be too difficult to prevent or control oversteer condition with newer tyres up front with throttle control though this needs some experience.

However, if the overall feel of the car is not good, then it's better to change all tyres for safety reasons.

sad to say the standard of knowledge of most of the tyre shop here is poor.They sell tyre n will recommend the bigger it is ,the better it is.Some even commemded tat one shld not inflate the tyre too much on a long trip as it may burst the tyre. [lipsrsealed] enuh said.

Seems more recommendations to install at the rear.

Install New Pairs or Tires on the Rear Axle

When tires are replaced in pairs, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads because new, deeper treaded tires are more capable of resisting hydroplaning.

Source : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=39

Neutral Newbie

whenever we change 4 new tyres.. the shop will always ask u to go back to them when ur mileage click 10km after.. then they will rotate (change the rear to font) the tyres..since the front will wear off faster.. meaning the less worn will be place in front?? If the michiline advise is correct (put the new or less owrn in front) then we should not go back to them.. just let it be.. right??!

Neutral Newbie

That report is assuming that the older tyre will Burst or Self-Destruct more easily compared to a new tyre.

A punctured front tyre is easier to control? My personal experience in Germany autobahn two years ago.

Was travelling at 150km/hr in my relatives' car, on the expressway.

Along came a mercedes E-class passing my car on the left side(their overtaking lane), at the point when the merc was along side my car, I can see thick smoke from the front right tyre as it was obviously punctured.

The amazing thing is that the Merc is Still drivable and the driver swiftly signaled and cut INFRONT of my car and all the way filter to the right side of the expressway, all at 150km/hr. I looked back, the merc was safely parked at the road shoulder with a smoking tyre+rim!

Before this report, I always believed that a rear punctured tyre is much safer to control! Now I learn something today.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
whenever we change 4 new tyres.. the shop will always ask u to go back to them when ur mileage click 10km after.. then they will rotate (change the rear to font) the tyres..

when you change all 4 new tires together, you do tire rotation at 10,000km.

since the front will wear off faster.. meaning the less worn will be place in front?? If the michiline advise is correct (put the new or less owrn in front) then we should not go back to them.. just let it be.. right??!

when you change a pair of 2 new tires, you put them in the rear

Edited by Balacam

Typically, even though I drive a RWD car, I'd still recommend that new tires be placed in front.

This allows a driver to maintain greater control and steering precision when it comes to turning at lower speeds or cornering at higher speeds. The front will then have greater amount of traction to reduce understeer problems.

Even for my RWD pony cart, I still have new tires in front and the older ones go to the back, not because I want to burn the older ones in drift, but that I want better steering response and control.

It's true that the car tends to oversteer more when older tires are behind. I speak from a RWD driver point of view.

However, the ability to control and steer a car still comes from the front. Lack of grip in the front leads to total loss of control of the car when it understeers.

With oversteer, a good set of front wheels can still lend steering control to allow the driver to minimize the slip angle and bring the car back under control more easily.

Neutral Newbie

if the rear tires are more 'important' then why do they recommend changing the space saver spare tire to the back instead of the front when there's a flat? [:/]

↡ Advertisement