KUMHO ECSTA SPT KU31

Coupe07

Neutral Newbie

Any unbiased reviews on this tyre?

Did a search already, however, most threads turn into Hankook, eagle f1, toyo comparison. Comments from current users on above tyres will be appreciated.

Anyone running on this tyre, say comparing between this n AD07. Looking at enormous grip in the dry. Wet - decent grip.

Not looking at:

Ventus RS2 - no size available for me, no choice

Eagle F1 - So-so dry grip

TOYO R1R - no size

*many other brands do not have below stated sizes, which limit my choices.

* not looking at general road use tyre; ultra high performance only.

Size wanted:

Front: 235/40/18

Rear: 265/35/18

Currently on: Neova AD07

All comments welcomed, but pls take the sizes into factor as not many brands offering the required size.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Again I am surprised that Kumho Ecsta SPT is proven better than those supposed highly regarded models like Eagle RS-A and AVS100 at

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTe...tirePageLocQty=

Very interesting specific feedback from many users at http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComme...commentStatus=P

Hearing from some of us here, Kumho tyres might be running out of stock, maybe because too few shops are carrying them.

not surprising

rs-a thread pattern cant evacuate water for nuts

ku31 has the advantage of 3 straight bands giving it more stability over es100's single

also its void area is on par, means it has better dry and wet

es100 also wears unevenly and is a noisy pos...

Neutral Newbie

been on Kumho SPT KU31 for about 1500km milage already. have to say the wet and dry grip are good. noise and comfort are also good. very satisfied with the tyre for the cost of only 108 per piece for 195/50/16.

i think the best part about this tire is that both the US (review at tirerack) and local version are made in Korea (stated on my tire). This is unlike eagle F1 which is highly rated in US but german made, and local are thai made. there are german made eagle F1 locally but its around 150 to 170 per piece i heard. So the review at tirerack projects a very accurate review for this tyre.

I'm sponsored under KUMHO's flag for drift events, so my views may seem a bit biased.

But as a drifter, I would say that dry and wet grip is just as important to me.

So far, I tried Toyo T1R

- hard side wall == slightly harsher ride

- grip is fairly good

- gets a bit noisy after some time

- slightly unpredicatable oversteer characteristics

Eagle F1 (German made)

- good grip

- softer sidewall

- good controller oversteer usage in drift

Kumho KU31

- good grip in the dry and wet

- good progressive lose of grip when oversteer is induced

- softer sidewall

- SMOKES very well for drift

Kumho 711

- I use these on my rear wheels for drift control too

- softer sidewall

- smokes out pretty well too

Neutral Newbie

Hearing from many users of Kumho, road stickiness is what stood out from other average tyres. In fact only those trackies and some habitual overtakers will know the benefit of road stickiness. Imagine the difference between the onset response in according to throttle. Tyres with road stickiness are more featured in the expensive performance tyres.

But the natural downside is the wear when reaching 30,000km-60,000km. It's unavoidable looking at how rubber lost on the track. But Kumho sometimes does it better, perhaps.

Conversely is true, if a tyre hardly wear off after 30,000km, personally doubtful how good is it road holding. By then, the rubber stiffness and noise would increasingly require a changeout even the thread might be almost intact.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Perhaps, there are not too many cradle-to-grave account of a tyre out there (I increasingly incline to take those editors' choice with a pinch of salt). What can be better than hearing from many users feedback as possible. The UK write-up at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/gearbox-tyr...mho-ku31/60418/ might be a fair assessment (good and bad) of what exactly ECSTA SPT KU-31 can offer. What caught me is the "inspire more confidence and you get more feel of road surface" that many Kumho owners would clearly notice after switching from typical 2-year old average tyres that had cost more ...

[[ Hi to All

Have just had fitted 4 Kumho KU31 tyres on standard Fabia vRS rims. Size is 205/45 R16 87W. First impressions are that they are a little quiter and less harsh than the Continental SCII were when new. Sidewalls seem stiffer than the Contis when new as well.

Looking at and prodding the sidewalls of the tyres before fitting, it is clear that they have a very small and firm (almost undetectable) comfort band in the sidewall. This compares favourably with the softer and around 3/8 inch comfort band on the SCII. Rim protection is not as deep as the Conti SCII. There is a lot more lug in the tread around the outer edges of the tyres as well. The void area looks to be greater than on the Contis. The compound feels softer than the Contis when cold and the tyres seem to build up heat and get working quickly.

Wearing a little of the mould release agent off the tyres, they are starting to "come in" after around 100 miles. Initial impressions are that the tyre needs a bigger slip angle to generate cornering force than the SCII, so more steering is required to get around a given corner. As a result, turn in feels subjectively slower, although once turned in, the tyres more rigid structure makes it feel more positive. This increased need for slip angle may just be a result of the tyres newness.

The tyres are still too new to start leaning on them heavily, but a quick go at hoiking it into a corner and loading the back up gave a fairly big sideways attitude through the corner, followed by excellent front end grip under power on the way out allowing the car to keep the back end loaded. On the downside, considerably more steering had to be used to do this than the SCII, so therefore, less optimal balance is achieved. I will give them another two or three hundred miles to scrub, which may well improve matters.

The stiffer sidewalls seem to suit the standard damping very well. The SCII sidewalls went from soft to baggy after 5000 miles and this made the tyres springy and seemingly bouncy. The KU31 seem to be much better in this respect and are better suited to the microdamping properties of the standard setup. Wheel patter over broken surfaces is hugely improved. The primary ride is also improved with the car / tyre system combining to feel better damped than it ever did with the SCIIs.

So far, so good. Will add to the review as the miles go on and as I get to try them in the wet.

Hard cornering and wet weather performance at 300 miles update

OK, 330 miles total mileage on the KU31 and it starts to chuck it down with rain. In the interests of science and for you lot, I went out for a little tyre testing tonight. Well I did expect to report that alas I got what I paid for (

Edited by Hattee

Neutral Newbie

Since you are on AD07, then you'll love the R-S2. Similar or almost equal dry grip. R-S2 has stiffer sidewall than AD07. Far superior wet grip as well.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Well, a fair comparison from the moderator of Tiretrends.com. Perhaps, many tyres costing alot more might not able to compare to these twos ...

morty

A Life Less Ordinary!

Kumho ku31 spt?

?Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 09:59:33 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stiffness between the two is something I cant tell you. Have not driven on the KU19. I would say the KU31 would have similar ride to the Toyo T1-R for comparison sake.

TireTrends - $50 Instant rebate on 4 Michelin tires until June 26, 2005!

Edited by Hattee

Neutral Newbie

great tyre... best value for money.

quiet, grippy even after 13,000+ km

highly recommended

other tyres I've used.

Revspec - great all rounder... but I feel the kumho is better

eagle F1 - great all rounder, pricey, kumho better value lah

AD-07 - great dry tyre, noisy like s***, wet weather grip sucks big time.

Aspec DB - stock equipment on my previous car, needless to say, junk it almost immediately... hopeless.

Neutral Newbie

I'm running on Thai made GY Eagle F1 GS-D3... other than the noise I pretty happy with it... so I guess I can expect a quieter tyre than the GY Eagle F1 or the RS-02?

Hmmm... I guess my next set of tyres should be this the Kumho ECSTA SPT then... [:)]

↡ Advertisement