Toyota Caldina Review

• Search this thread
114 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

My last experience with a Toyota was in the likes of a Celica SS1 from 2001-2003. Thus far, I had pleasant experiences with Toyota and relished owning one again. The draw to powerful marques came on for a high testorone male in me and at that time, the Toyota Caldina GT4 was born. A quick check with Ricardo motors then came up with an incredulous price tag of S$150K+. Lest not forget, COE was high then. Therefore, the idea of owning one was quickly relegated and the GT4 soon became a dream rather than a reality.

I moved on quickly and owned a Subaru Legacy RSK Turbo B4 Manual and an EVO 8 GSR there after. With the times, my situation changed. Got married, have a kid, the EVO 8 just cannot meet my needs anymore. By needs, I am refering to space. With a large pram, car seats and what nots, the EVO was insufficient for my needs. With the low COE, I decided to once again approach two PIs to quote me on the face lifted GT4 once again. Finally, I decided to purchase it from Garage R. It being the one and only Turbo variant to be brought into SG, it underwent VIA Japan's testing before embarking on a journey to SG. Upon arrival, I looked at the dark pimp daddy rear windows and thought it will not clear LTA's inspection. Much to my surprise, it cleared and my glasses are 'legit'! That left me wondering why the PIs had to change the glass on the NA versions.

Anyway, if you are a family man, who only need space for 1-2 Kid and space for barang barang, if you opt out of the mundane 7 seaters, this car may be your choice.

The car is a Wagon styled vehicle, which meant it does not have high body height ala traditional MPVs. However, length wise, it is as long as a Wish, having parked beside it on several occasions and did a comparo. The legroom for both driver and passenger is good. I can vouch for it as I am at least 1.8m tall. Headroom is not fantastic but it is ok. The car came standard with Recaros for both front passenger and driver. Alas, it isnt the kinda bucket Recaros one would find in the Euro R or EVOs. Remember... it is a family oriented car afterall!

Specification of the engine is as follow:

It is 4WD
Engine Capacity: 1998 cc 3S-GTE
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto/Steptronic with Super ECT
Max Speed 191kW(260ps)/6200rpm
Max Torque 324N.m(33.0kg.m)/4400rpm
Electronic Brake Assist EBD
Traction Control

Colors : Super White (040)/Silver Metallic (1F7)/Black MICA (209)/Super Red (3P0)/Blue MICA Metallic (8Q1)/White Pearl Crystal Shine (070)

The engine is peppy and it really goes when you flow the accelerator living up to my expectation in terms of power. The transmission has pretty good Final Drive given that kmh, the tachometer shows only 2.5-3K RPM! One Caldina owner even displayed a pic of him hitting 180 kmh and tacho was only 4K RPM (see picture).

Given that I am still running in the engine, I did not really boost up. Have been told that the CT20B Turbo the car is running is large and has a max boost of 1.3 bar.

The car came with standard GT4 trims. It has a full bodykit, stabilzer bars and front strut bar. It also came in 17 inches alloys.

The choice of PI for me is obvious given that I am into modification of my ride. I would purchase stuff from GR and let them fix it and yet still preserve my warranty. The workshop has done many GT4s from Malaysia and parts is not a problem but some may see it as a downside.

Also, with such power, do not expect frugal and typical Toyota fuel consumption. Currently, I am running 10 km/ltr. To me, that i sgood enough having driven cars that are about 5-7 km/ltr :)

If you are more than 2m tall or have grandparents, maid and kids in toll, you are better off with a 7 seater vehicle. Else, this 5 seater wagon will fit you perfectly.

Last but not least, the over zealous ROV officers have given me hell for my past rides and a family oriented fast wagon is so much a magnet for them. What a relieve!

All in all, a great car for a family man with a need for speed.

If you cannot differentiate a TP from an LTA officer, you ain't a car enthusiast.

Have you come here to play Jesus, to the Lepers in your head? U2 - One

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:10 PM

Turbonetics
  • Premium member
    Turbonetics
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi,this is a nice car and in white.
i saw the same car with the same colour few days ago.
i guess it should be the same as yours.Number plate starting with "EK" series right?

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Wow, u saw me.
If you cannot differentiate a TP from an LTA officer, you ain't a car enthusiast.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious

this mth's Hypertune has something on the GT-4. It is about modding the exhaust + TRD muffler, etc.

Pg 100 of the latest Hypertune. the Power Pages! tongue.gif
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Thanks for the heads up. TRD expensive. :P

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thug
  • Thug
    6th Gear

Hi, u have a very nice car.
The FD is really stunning.
180km/h @ 4k

U have a cute baby too
I grow up very poor. If I wasn't a boy; I will have nothing to play with.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Thanks for the compliments. hehehe if my son cute, means I AM CUTE too!

Thanks hor!

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:32 PM

Thug
  • Thug
    6th Gear

eh...often not applied that way...........
I grow up very poor. If I wasn't a boy; I will have nothing to play with.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:34 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Sien 1/2 liao unsure.gif

Jonbummer
  • Jonbummer
    6th Gear

thumbsup.gif write, bro

so essentially this is a turbo Wish?

i reckon with run-in completed and a occasional
turbo foot the FC will remain at abt 10km/L
which is very good leh
wink.gif
+*-*-*-*+

my karting exploit @ velocita-karting.blogspot.com/
"to finish the race first, first you have to finish the race"

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious

I believe you can afford it. And since the exhaust is installed in this edition, next edition they gonna bring it for dyno.

Maybe you can use that for a guide to see worth it anot... tongue.gif
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Mzrmazda3
  • Premium member
    Mzrmazda3
    2Fast2Furious

Bro, what a ride you have thumbsup.gif

Would give you a light tap of horn should i see you on the road nod.gif nod.gif nod.gif

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:38 PM

Turbonetics
  • Premium member
    Turbonetics
    2Fast2Furious

Wow, u saw me.

yes,i saw you.
nice number you have as well.
i still remember the number.

Edited by Turbonetics, 25 May 2007 - 12:40 PM.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Turbonetics
  • Premium member
    Turbonetics
    2Fast2Furious

Thanks for the compliments. hehehe if my son cute, means I AM CUTE too!

Thanks hor!

Ahemmm...ermmm...

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Already lup Fujitsubo Legalis R. hehehehe

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Wah, horn ah... i always kena ppl push one leh

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Remember to buy bay peo.
Tio liao dont forget me!

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious

thumbsup.gif

i always wanted the GT4, but still cant afford bigcry.gif
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Nope, it cannot be compared to a Turbo Wish. The engine is essentially different. VERY different I must say. The ST246W uses a 3S GTE engine. The Wish doesnt.

thumbsup.gif write, bro

so essentially this is a turbo Wish?

i reckon with run-in completed and a occasional
turbo foot the FC will remain at abt 10km/L
which is very good leh
wink.gif

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Supercharged

Kwik get one lar.... then we can start Klub hehehehe

Back to Japanese Talk  ·  Car Brands Top

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users