How to differentiate original and fake oil filters?

Upguy1

i am not talking about aftermarket or parallel OEM oil filters.

When u buy oil filter in the so called original packaging, please beware, there are fake ones lying around.

anyone has any experience in telling the original from fake ones ?

as for toyota original oil filter (for altis,wish,picnic etc) , look at the product code on the packaging... it should only contain NUMBERS. if it contains both numbers and alphabets,then its a fake. it doesnt matter whether the packaging states that its made in japan.

i bought an oil filter from AV... apparently its a fake one.... will post original vs fake pics in due time.

basically , the original ones has more filter element than the fake ones. Looking through the aperture, u can acutally see the filter element in the original one... for the fake one, all u see is metal ...

i think that one should not skimp on oil filters as they help to filter dirt that is detrimental to the engine.

cost of fake one -$4.50 ( but i bought at 6.50) [furious]

true original one can be bought for $7.00.

for other car makes i have no experience and hence unable to comment.. perhaps those car gurus here can provide some input.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

bro, if you have pic of the filter, upload them here for all.

i have on hand 3 oil filters all of different part number. 2 made in Japan, the other in Thailand. 90915-YZZC5 and 90915-10003(Jap), 90915-YZZE1(Thai). physically, there are some differences. U sure original parts should be numerical only?

the jap ones looks more solid. I have not seen a fake one so i can't really tell which is real and fake. maybe i shoould ask one of the parts supplier in Toyota club Forum to advise us. [:)]

toyota consumables part numbr that contain only numbers are made in japan. a mix of numbers and letters are made in thailand. both are genuine toyota parts.

if parts were to be fake, then even the part numbers should be exactly like the jap made ones. why make a differentiation from the genuine product?

dun worry bro, thai made parts are supposed to be cheaper than jap made ones.

i'm using thai made oil filters with no change in performance.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I did purchase a Toyota oil filter that is made in Thai, for $6.50. The Japan made one cost $7 or $7.50. Looking through the hole could see the filter media.

Bro Upguy1, could you post the pics of the original and fake. I've heard of fake toyota product being sold off as the original one in S'pore.

Other than Ric Tat, where else could i get Toyota parts cheap?

Edited by Fitzy

the ones i bought have alphabets in the serial numbers and they are made in Japan...! quality wise totally different from original japan ones...

I do have thai made one with alphabets and numbers, but i am unable to comment since i am currently using it for my ride.

will post pics tomorrow or so once i get hold of the original oil filter...

I dun tink a mix of numbers + letters means the product is fake.

90915-YZZC5 - Black rubber seal, looks abit like the Thai version. - $6

90915-10003(Jap) - Red rubber seal - $8.50

90915-YZZE1(Thai). - Black rubber seal, $5-$6

Did Ric Tat tell u this or some WS?

So far i only noe Ric Tat is selling those serial numbers with numbers only. And its the red seal type which isnt cheap.

The most stockist carry the YZZC5.

Neutral Newbie

i got all 3 parts with me at the moment.

got all 3 different filters around $6-7 each. I noticed the one with all numbers in the p/n is slightly taller than the other 2. outlook wise, the jap and the thai made are of different construction.

i got my toyota parts mostly from GS auto, just a few units away from Ric Tat.

that time i bought mine from GS, cuz i walked to the wrong shop. Asked him for an oil filter. He gave me the Thai one. Asked if got Japan he sae dun have. [shakehead]

say between both the japan ones, is there a diff in performance etc?

I remember hearing some ppl mentioning abt bigger oil filter more power or sth like that. Pls correct me if i m wrong.

ard the same price. both side by side. U cant expect one to offer super low prices while the other, sky high prices rite?

Btw, ani of u tink that Ric Tat Japan oil filters are quite ex. $8.50 leh

i have the following oil filters

90915-yzzc5 - made in japan $6.50 from AV

90915-10001 - made in japan also $7 from ric tat if i am not mistaken

both black seals, but the 10001 has better construction overall. and slightly taller. filter medium can be seen through the aperture, while as for the yzzc5 one, all i see is metal inside.. [:|]

both products MIJ but so different in terms of quality....

i saw the one with the red seal also at connalds...

my rides supposed to use a bigger oil filter, but i used a smaller one instead...cheaper and use less engine oil... [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

i would think so... GS stocks thai made oil filters. I think Ric Tat's are jap made. but in any case, i would still prefer to use the cheaper thai made ones.

quite a few parts that i got from them are cheaper than ric tat. aside from the oil filters, most of other parts(trans oil, coolant, brake fluid) apparently from the same source. I usually buy in bulk so maybe tats why they sell me cheaper...also got to know the salesperson already.

Note: i am not promoting GS but just sharing my findings on prices.