Do we give way to a flashing ambulance?

Nhyone

Do we give way to a flashing ambulance? It is on the first lane and its lights are flashing, but no sirens.

↡ Advertisement

Yes, we should. But I really hope they will switch on the siren for goodness sake. What's wrong with switching on the siren? Noise pollution? I feel it's better for them to switch it on....at least that will give drivers more time react and give way to them.

If ambulance in other countries can switch on the siren, why can't ours?

We should move out of the way as soon as it is safe to do so. We should also make space for others in the ambulance lane to get in if we are in the lane next to it. It should be a common objective for all in any lane to do something so that the ambulance can have clear access of the road.

Yes. They don't use their siren unless the driver in front of them is not responding to the lights and even then they only sound it once or twice.

(edited)

Yes, agree fully. But sometimes I observed that some ambulances did not speed up after the cars in front gave way... [hur] Really attend to emergency cases or flash for fun??

Edited by Speedsun

'cos you never know who will be needing that ambulance in future... What goes around, comes around.

Yes.. who knows when the patient's condition will worsen... best is to let the ambulance get to the hospital asap..

Saw before an ambulance traveling on the road shoulder at AYE at rather fast speed even thou there's no siren but flashing lights... maybe thats some other emergency reasons..

He needs to maintain a certain speed. An amblulance doesn't have the handling of an S class neither does it have traction control etc.

And cannot on the flash for fun. need to write report one.

Neutral Newbie

i will say as long as you see the ambulance, you should cut lane and give way. forget abt siren or not. be it it's needed or simply thk of what if the driver accidentally presses the flash button??????

I find some flashing amblulance speed is rather slow. Once, I gave way and moved to lane 2 but that guy was running slower than me at lane 1. So I overtake him back and zoom zoom away.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Hmm.. maybe prolong exposure to the sirens can directly or indirect affect the patient being rushed to hospital?

The sirens are normally really loud and high pitched.. and if exposed too long may irritate the patient.. even us normal people when hear long liao oso feel irritated.. off siren is to give the patient some peace?? [confused]

Neutral Newbie

i was recently in an ambulance rushing my son to the hospital. at no time would i have felt irritated by the siren or the driver horning other cars to give way. life or death situation.

so, pls do not post such a silly remark or suggestion. kindly get your class 3 and do give way to ambulance, whether the sirens & horns irritate you or not.

Neutral Newbie

of coz!!!

in fact, I was pretty upset last Saturday on 26 May evening time. I was traveling on BKE going to PIE to Bedok. There was an ambulance who was flashing at this car right in front of it. I was driving many cars in front. Once I saw that, I quickly filter to the left.

The amazing thing is that this car DID NOT GIVE WAY to the ambulance but instead has a little race with it to the front where there were double white line (no crossing of lane) marking just before the PIE entrance. He did an almost emergency brake to do an illegal filter to the left towards PIE and drove pretty recklessly.

[jawdrop]

so seriously, I think that drivers on Singapore road should understand that ambulance should have priority to the road regardless.

And guess what, if you give way to the ambulance, it will really not hurt you at all. In fact, you may just be late by 5 mins. So, I would suggest giving way to the ambulance.

↡ Advertisement