Do we give way to a flashing ambulance?

Nhyone

Do we give way to a flashing ambulance? It is on the first lane and its lights are flashing, but no sirens.

pls do so, there could be a patient catching his/her breath inside the ambulance, every sec counts... [;)]

↡ Advertisement

i seen before a number of times those private ambulance on the flashing but no siren, and then stop to alight workers..

they are being abused and used to ferry private sector workers as mini bus

Wah if you see such incidents can take photos and report coz such previlege should not be abused.

(edited)

I encountered once in JB 3-4 lanes junction and around 20 vehicles stopped for a traffic light. An ambulance came from behind. Every vehicle "inched" towards the left or right to make way for the ambulance to cross the traffic junction [thumbsup] even thought lights were red . I guess that the lanes are slightly wider in order to do this.

Edited by Boxster

Turbocharged
(edited)
Do we give way to a flashing ambulance? It is on the first lane and its lights are flashing, but no sirens.

I will give way. Even if it is not an ambulance but just a normal car.

If the vehicle can get so near and flash at me, I think I may be hogging the first lane.

Edited by Albeniz

Honestly speaking and sadl to admit, the Malaysians(general pedestrain and driver) are more civic-mindedness. Whenever they see an ambulance coming fast, all would stop and make way for the ambulance to pass. Even traffic on the opposite direction do.

Here in Singapore, nobody gives a hoot. Ambulance speeding, ambulance not stopping at traffic light, ambulance driving like above-the-law, siren too loud. The mentality here is my property(read the car) is more important than even the love ones.

If you want to have an idea how emergency vehicles diving are like, stake out at The Strip in Las Vegas. Almost like every 15minutes, there is one zooming and wailing down the road.

Turbocharged
(edited)
Yes, agree fully. But sometimes I observed that some ambulances did not speed up after the cars in front gave way... [hur] Really attend to emergency cases or flash for fun??

there was once i'm travelling on PIE with this SCDF fire engine on the 1st lane with lights flashing and sirens blaring..but funny thing is, the speed he's going is about 70kmh..therefore, all tom dick and harry all overtake him from the left..kinda strange sight..

Edited by Shull

(edited)

Maybe fire engine is heavy vehicle (high inertial) so it is the best they don't exceed a certain speed for safety reasons. I think the drivers also never get "bonus" for reaching the site slightly earlier so if kanna accident [lipsrsealed] worst got to kanna blame.

Edited by Boxster

Neutral Newbie

maybe the ambulance travelling at 70km/h and with lights and sirens blaring is being driven by a "L" ambulance driver!

On training lah! try the lights and sirens switch see who give way! [laugh]

What?! You are asking this question!?

It may be obvious to you, but it's not to me. Everyone knows what sirens mean, but flashing lights only, it's hard to say whether the ambulance wants you out of the way or not, especially if you give way and it doesn't overtake. You're not likely to give way after one such experience.

Turbocharged
(edited)

actually..if you are traveling at speed in excess of 90kmh..there's no need to give way to ambulance/fire truck..since i doubt they will chiong at that speed in the 1st place..if you are traveling at speed lower than 90kmh..you have no business at lane 1..please move to lane 2..this is of course, in exception to traffic jams..

Edited by Shull

Neutral Newbie

Never assume......just give way to them.

We will never know what is happening in the ambulance.

If they does not overtake then you overtake and zoom away from them loh.

Ambulance always have the right of way.

Anyway, if they are at the extremely right lane and can flash at you, I think you are too slow on the 1st lane liao. No problem, just move to the 2nd lane loh. No harm mah. [thumbsup]

This is very wrong, whether you are travelling at whatever speed you have to give way to the ambulance not unless your car is dead or the ambulance is coming to fetch you.

Neutral Newbie

I will give way lor...

Just imagine what you would want other drivers to do if you were lying inside the ambulance.

That's how I feel lar...

But sometimes when I trying to give way, the cars on the other lanes don't let me in... [:|]

Neutral Newbie
If you want to have an idea how emergency vehicles diving are like, stake out at The Strip in Las Vegas. Almost like every 15minutes, there is one zooming and wailing down the road.

Yeah... [thumbsup]

In Illinois, when they hear a siren, everybody pulls over on one side of the road.

Until the emergency vehicle goes pass and goes out of view.

Apparently it's required by law...

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
yes, but i saw some drivers switch back to the lane immediately after giving way and tailgate the ambulance like Mr Bean [shocked]

I also damn buey song when I see those people...

But maybe they have loved ones in the ambulance like some bros mentioned?

Anyway, we neither TP nor vigilante...

Just hope those pple get their just retribution lor.

Wonder if someone tailgate an ambulance and lang-gah it, what the penalty is like...

If I am or have a someone in the ambulance, I'm certain I will take up a civil suit against the bugger though.

Edited by Alanswan

Such practice are common in most developed countries, even in developing countries like M'sia. Often people will pull to a side and cars will stop at the traffic junction to allow the emergency vehicles a free passage, even if the lights in other car's favour.

↡ Advertisement