Do we give way to a flashing ambulance?

Nhyone

Turbocharged
This is very wrong, whether you are travelling at whatever speed you have to give way to the ambulance not unless your car is dead or the ambulance is coming to fetch you.

no mah..say if youre travelling at >100kmh(you'll be speeding then, but that's out of the context liao..)..which is normally much faster than ambulance..then chances are, the ambulance cant catch up with you..so technically, you're NOT slowing him down..

↡ Advertisement

This is very wrong, whether you are travelling at whatever speed you have to give way to the ambulance not unless your car is dead or the ambulance is coming to fetch you.

What if the ambulance road hogged at lane 1? If this chap running at 90Km/h, I will probably overtake him already. What we're saying here is, some ambulance abused their rights by hogging lane 1. So the speed that the ambulance is running at does matter. If you want to be fast to save life, then better be fast, don't road hog.

Regards,

Again this is a very wrong reasoning. Rendering first aid means to stop the damage, stabilize it and get to further treatment in as fast and safe as possible.

So a ambulance travelling constantly at 90 on lane 1 is not road hogging. If you are ferrying a accident victim or a pregnant woman giving birth, you can do that. Your motive is to get to the hospital in as fast and safe a manner.

Do we give way to a flashing ambulance? It is on the first lane and its lights are flashing, but no sirens.

my answer to you is very simple, if you notice any vehicle getting closer to you from behind, pls give way whenever it is safe to do so.

[laugh] tell that too to those ambulance that road hogged on lane 1.

Regards,

Technically if you are travelling >100kmph, you are speeding. Even you are are speeding(faster than the ambulance), should you see a ambulance in your sight you are oblige to give way to him by moving a aside.

I have replied to a fellow member here why I believed even if a ambulance is travelling at 90 on lane 1 is not considered road hogging.

If you have seen some real incident programme from the American television, you would have notice that all other vehicles, never mind in which lane, would pull over and stop to allow the emergency vehicle to go past uninhibited. By keeping the road ahead clear, the ambulance driver would not have to worry about cars infront and by the side.

Again this is a very wrong reasoning. Rendering first aid means to stop the damage, stabilize it and get to further treatment in as fast and safe as possible.

So a ambulance travelling constantly at 90 on lane 1 is not road hogging. If you are ferrying a accident victim or a pregnant woman giving birth, you can do that. Your motive is to get to the hospital in as fast and safe a manner.

1. Sorry, I not a medic and I don't know what they need to do within the ambulance. I only know, ambulance suppose to travel fast.

2. Travelling at 90km/h on lane 1 is not road hogging? You must be one of those that run 90km/h on lane 1 and expect others to overtake you from the right?

3. Well, you can have your reasonings and I've my principle to maintain.i.e if you're slow, don't road hog.

Regards,

You are very stubborn. I would like to imagine if one fine day you are being ferried in one and fellow drivers not giving away to the ambulance, what is your reaction(or rather inaction). Sorry I am trying to be undertone in this reply.

Technically if you are travelling >100kmph, you are speeding. Even you are are speeding(faster than the ambulance), should you see a ambulance in your sight you are oblige to give way to him by moving a aside.

I have replied to a fellow member here why I believed even if a ambulance is travelling at 90 on lane 1 is not considered road hogging.

If you have seen some real incident programme from the American television, you would have notice that all other vehicles, never mind in which lane, would pull over and stop to allow the emergency vehicle to go past uninhibited. By keeping the road ahead clear, the ambulance driver would not have to worry about cars infront and by the side.

1. Whether a car is speeding or not, leave it to the TP and speed camera to decide.

2. U.S roads damn spacious and big than us. The ambulance running on lane 2 also no problem.

Regards,

You are very stubborn. I would like to imagine if one fine day you are being ferried in one and fellow drivers not giving away to the ambulance, what is your reaction(or rather inaction). Sorry I am trying to be undertone in this reply.

Don't have to curse me. I took ambulance many times already. They are very fast and they don't road hog at 90Km/h on lane 1.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

I ever witness one in Sydney, Ambulance on Siren over the center diver (more like a kerb) and travel against the flow of traffic on the other side... and all vechiles on the other side also siam... (yes, this is in real life, not TV)

(edited)

Did I curse? Me and you have a equal chance of travelling in one. Do u want a clear passage ahead of you if you are ferrying someone to hospital, say for giving birth, in one whole piece?

Edited by David

Neutral Newbie
Do we give way to a flashing ambulance? It is on the first lane and its lights are flashing, but no sirens.

You started this thread. Sigh...

Maybe the highway code did not cover this topic, hope the authorities would include in future.

From my common sense, all vehicles should give way to Ambulance whether it quietly follows behind your vehicle, flashes, siren or whatever. Just give way without any questions asked, even if you are travelling faster then them (doesn it mean you are speeding?)

Afterall Ambulance are for hospitals fetching patients, whether urgent or not, still better for them to reach destination earlier. Sometimes they are on the way to fetch patient are they can't foresee how critical the case, as anybody who called for ambulance would tell the operator urgent! critical! going to die liao!

Neutral Newbie

I worked in the states for several years. Everytime an emergency vehicle comes along, EVERY vehicle on the road would pull over to the sides and stop, leaving a clear path in the centre for the emergency vehicle to speed through.

The first time it happened, i got a shock. Why is everyone pulling over to the sides so quickly??? Then i learnt that an ambulance is making its way up the road with its siren on. Very fast reaction time from all the motorists.... amazing. I got the hang of it too, simply zipped to the side and stop, sometimes we double or triple park when we come to a stop, but after the emergency vehicle passes through, we'll just move back into the lanes slowly, no rush, no accidents.

Turbocharged

i've seen a bus go up a kerbs before to make way for an ambulance in malaysia....but i dont think such thing will happen here.... [sweatdrop]

Did I curse? Me and you have a equal chance of travelling in one. Do u want a clear passage ahead of you if you are ferrying someone to hospital, say for giving birth, in one whole piece?

I dare say I travelled in ambulance more than you do. If an ambulance is occuppying the lane 1 for offical reasons and travel fast, by all means. If someone abuse the system and travel at hogging speed, that is something that I will not tolerate. Having said that, most of the time, the ambulance that I travelled in, speed way past the legal speed limit. As I've said, if you have a life to save, you better run fast not hogging the lane 1.

Regards,

Saving life is about fast and safe. No point if you are recklessly fast, in this respect reckless means that aggravating the torments and injuries the patient it is ferring.

How do you know that a ambulance coming along has got no patient inside?

Ahhhhhh....still as stubborn.

Supersonic

Me too, I will move aside to second lane and let the ambulance pass, and then, as quickly as possible, cut in behind the ambulance and get a "free ride" through heavy traffic...

↡ Advertisement