Do we give way to a flashing ambulance?

Nhyone

Guys note that ambulance can only excess speed limit by 20-30kph and ambulance driver will proceed {beat red lite or speed up) only he is SURE it is safe to do so, if he had ani DOUBT exist , he will not proceed.
And ambulance drivers are not exempted from driving with 'Due care and Attention'

My quote should answered to people who complain that the ambulance is road hogging at lane 1.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
of coz!!!

in fact, I was pretty upset last Saturday on 26 May evening time. I was traveling on BKE going to PIE to Bedok. There was an ambulance who was flashing at this car right in front of it. I was driving many cars in front. Once I saw that, I quickly filter to the left.

The amazing thing is that this car DID NOT GIVE WAY to the ambulance but instead has a little race with it to the front where there were double white line (no crossing of lane) marking just before the PIE entrance. He did an almost emergency brake to do an illegal filter to the left towards PIE and drove pretty recklessly.

[jawdrop]

so seriously, I think that drivers on Singapore road should understand that ambulance should have priority to the road regardless.

And guess what, if you give way to the ambulance, it will really not hurt you at all. In fact, you may just be late by 5 mins. So, I would suggest giving way to the ambulance.

That driver ought to be shot. People might be dying in the ambulance because of him. [shakehead]

1. I don't "brand" people as this and that. Since I do not brand you, please keep your "stubborn" word on your children. This is a forum, I've my right to disagree and you can keep your opinion.

2. We should not challenge any reasonably fast ambulance. If they are fast enough to be behind one's back on lane 1, they can have the lane 1and as they mean business. Make sure they keep up the speed. If the ambulance is fast enough, you will see others riding on the "right" to follow its tail on lane 1. You tell me loh, is 110-120Km/h a recklessly fast speed to you.

3. Let me ask you one question. Are you those that will not exceed 90Km/h on lane 1 of highway? Even if a car is right behind you, you will not give way, right?

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

Agreed with you, as long it's an ambulance, we should not challenge it, be it with or without siren.

Even without flashing lights it might be one the way back to it's HQ and get prepared for the next one [lipsrsealed] (dun mean to curse anyone).

Agreed with you, as long it's an ambulance, we should not challenge it, be it with or without siren.

Even without flashing lights it might be one the way back to it's HQ and get prepared for the next one (dun mean to curse anyone).

Yap, but of late, there seem to be abuse of ambulance hogging lane 1. If they are not on business, the same traffic rules should apply to them.

Regards,

Pls give way to ambulance...better not take the risk..u never know how urgent the patient needed the treatment.

If u dunno the ambulance is really attending to urgent case, just give way...it wun kill u but it may kill the person in it if it is a true emergency.

Neutral Newbie

why is there even such a question?!

abuse or no abuse, its an ambulance, when lights r in operation, it means there is a medical issue.

driver may not speed up as its like a van for heaven's sake, its not a racing car. you'll never know what is happening inside, they may need the van to be stable for awhile to do something.

is it so difficult to just give way to an ambulance? it will only delay you at most for a few mins.

and it not as if u encounter one every day!

Neutral Newbie

yes, we should give way as soon as possible and also when it's safe to do so.

there're some drivers out there who thinks just because they pay road tax, they have the right to be on the road [thumbsdown]

here, where i am now, whenever there's any emergency vehicles that needs to pass through, you can see a magical parting of cars, machiam Moses parting the red sea [shocked] to let them through [thumbsup]

nonsense......typical government servant or government management. Report Report and Report all scare to write report or wanna cover backside.

I remember a fire case many years ago where the causalty die of too much smoke inhalation.

Decease family question why ambulance dun go to the nearest hospital which is Eastshore hospital, Civil Defense mention that ambulance will only send to the 6 government hospital if you dial 995 thus not private hospital. (this happen around 98 to 2002 sometime either I was still in the NS or studying in Australia). Fair enough thus send causalty to Changi Hospital.

Decease's family than question while following the ambulance behind, family member notice that ambulance met around 9 red lights and question why ambulance never on siren and beat red light? reply from civil defense COL "OH that time traffic very dangerous to beat might caught in an accident!!!!!"

1st of all that COL wasnt even at the scene!! how he know cannot beat traffic light??? base on all Forumer experiences in driving do you think all 9 times ambulance TRIED to on SIREN can fail all 9 times??

Verdict, I feel driver and civil defense wanna cover backside, dun wanna take risk for casaulty as not thier friend or family member!!!! Government should look into this as sometimes in a matter of few mintues can make a different to lives and death!!!! Government should learn EMPOWERMENT and trust the lower rank servant to do thier jobs. Senior Servant cant do everything for the People and Country.

BTW I dunno decease and feel that compare to the emergency vehicles in Australia, there is less Urgency [whip] Do we really need some unpleasent event "terrorism eg." to wake up our FxxKing Idea? [rifle]

fren... using the siren or strobe-light doesnt mean u dun have to abide to traffic rules.

it doesnt give u a green light to beat the traffics or start speeding.

if u r in the driver's position, how would u feel? saving one life while endangering other road users as well as the other passenger inside the ambulance????

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I read so different kind of responses and i thought this is a very simple thing to do

1) ALWAYS give way to emergency vehicles ( ambulances, fire engines etc ) whether they on or off siren/lights etc.

If there is a patient on the amublance without siren or strobe lights on, though might be stable now and on the way to the hospital, anytime the patient condition might worsen. So just be a gentleman and a civic person and let them go first.

If they are rushing to go back to HQ, maybe they are going to pick up more cases.

To me is, just let them go first. At most I lose a couple of minutes now. I wont know how much this few minute might mean to those need it.

In short, I give the benefit of the doubt to all Emergency Vehicles ( light or no light, siren or no siren ) that they are attending to Emergencies and I will give way to them every possible way.

2) Whether or not the emergency vehicles are breaking the law or not breaking the law, abusing the system or not abusing the system. It is up to the TP to handle them, Not you nor me. WHy dwell on them abusing or not abusing the system? Why worry about private ambulances spoiling the mkt?

Be Civic and a gentleman, You will never know the day when you need that few minutes from everyone on the road.

[angel]

Edited by Jivvy

i will say as long as you see the ambulance, you should cut lane and give way. forget abt siren or not. be it it's needed or simply thk of what if the driver accidentally presses the flash button??????

Use wat to cut?

sizzor3.jpg

Neutral Newbie

yes...all drivers please give way to ambulance...a doctor friend said he was in the ambulance once, and confirm cameras are install inside the ambulance taking pictures of vehicles which refused to give way...

Do we give way to a flashing ambulance? It is on the first lane and its lights are flashing, but no sirens.

Better to give way la ... maybe your friend or love one inside & need medical attention leh ... wait until find out later, paiseh also no use liao ... [shakehead]