How fast can a car go in reverse gear?

Driven

Neutral Newbie

Can a reverse gear go as fast as gear in "D". How far can the gearbox stretch and would it damage the box? [confused]

↡ Advertisement

Ok. This has actually been tested before. You won't be able to go that fast, probably as fast as the 1st gear. The gearbox is not likely to break but parts of your car will melt because going backwards means that air is not going into the radiator and cooling your engine. You're likely to start melting the hoses and electronics first causing the car to 'kaboom' and stop before you actually destroy the gearbox.

Ok...I used to reverse quite fast when needed to.

The only thing it will hurt is ur speed sensor.

Never, never, never reverse ur car till u hear the Eeeeeeee sound.

Just reverse slowly.

Enjoy ur reversing....

Can a reverse gear go as fast as gear in "D". How far can the gearbox stretch and would it damage the box? [confused]

about minus 20 kmh

"When you hear a loud, whirring noise from your car in reverse, what you are hearing is the sound of the spur gear teeth clacking against one another!" *from howstuffworks*

wah no good [sweatdrop]

Haha you must be joking watch too much TV izzit? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Nope. I like to watch car shows and since there is no more Topgear until later this month or even later than that, I switched over to Fifth Gear and the reverse gear thing is one of the tests that they did on one of their shows called "Driven to destruction". In the weeks before, they drove a car without engine oil until the pistons seized and in another one they copied mythbusters and tried to destroy a car windscreen using things like frozen chickens, stones and road pylons.

Neutral Newbie

i reversed until got "pssssst!" sound from my BOV! LOL! Everyone look at me when I was entering restaurant! Waiter still tell me it's his first time hearing BOV "pssst!" in reverse! LOL! I also got a shock! Hahahaha!

↡ Advertisement