HELP. What happen to my speedometer?

Minmax

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I was travelling around 90km/h, suddenly my meter show 0km/h. then from 0 went to 90 and back to 0 again. i slow down but still the same, show my speed for 1 sec and drop back to 0. please view this video. anyone can help me out by telling me wat happen? do i need to change the whole speedomter? thanks!

speedometer.3gp

Edited by Minmax
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Wiring probably. Just go to a workshop, tell them the problem and it should be quite simple to fix.

------------------------

Neutral Newbie

thanks for replying, but i didnt do anything. out of the blue like that. haiz. whats the cost like?

Neutral Newbie

Dont know is my needle broken or wat. but looks like its not the needle problem, cos my mileage meter also not working liao.

common with older car. lucky if it is just the motor behind the dial that is faulty. Unlucky if it is the speed sensor which cost most. [sweatdrop]

Looks like a intermintent problem - not sure what type of speedometer system you have.

Suggest you check wheel speed sensor pick-up for dirts, grease etc. The other possiblity is loose fuse/poor wire connection / dry soldering at circuit board.

COE car is like tat....

last time my COE car also got this problem.... only once in blue moon, it will happen...

mine can be 0 in the whole journey. then next day, ok liao.... hur.gif

or travel halfway, the needle drop to 0 and stay there for 5-15mins, then it goes up to normal speed readings

i just ignore it. as long the car can move on the road, engine no problem, i will be happy.

to do this repair can be quite costly, because they have to take out the dashboard to check where is the faulty part... labour cost will kill you here. the spare part can be cheap.

Neutral Newbie

where is the check wheel speed sensor??? my car long time nv wash liao. maybe its this problem..

if it going to be ex, [bigcry]

possible to DIY? [nosebleed]

not possible to DIY. Better get it done by Mech.

It could be due to wiring, or the linkage from your speedo to the engine block. Should not cost more than $150.

So long your RPM meter working, no worries lah.

150 too Ex? anyway, I just guess the cost only. I face this problem with my 20yrs old car last time. Chked around to repair but end up buying a new car [:p]

I can PM you my trusty old electrical guy if u like. Let him chk yr problem w/o obligation.