Those with aftermarket HID kit driving to M'sia ...

EventH

Turbocharged

stock fitted?

btw, got a question here..

those white halogen bulbs from PHILIPS..are they considered HID? no right?

so what does aftermarket conversion to HID means? change the whole headlight assembly to HID? or just the HID effect?

this issue has been going on for sometime liao.

THose using 8000K and above, the chances of getting stopped is rather high.

6000K depends on ur luck

5000K and below, it all depends on ur alignment.

(edited)

Halogens are not the same as HIDs, they run at 55W while the latter run at 35W.

A HID retrofit kit usually comes with a pair of ballast, HID bulbs and wire harness which is very illegal as halogen reflectors can't handle the amount of light produced.

Edited by Garlic

However, if the HID bulb comes with an OEM shield, it does help reduce unwanted glare.

And with proper alignment, it's not much diff from a halogen.

(edited)

The optics in an halogen housing were not designed to handle HID beams, even with headlamp angle adjusted and dipped, light is still scattered everywhere which blinds and irritates other drivers.

This gives the driver an impression that visibility is very much improved but in actual fact, its worst than stock halogen bulbs as the light is not focused properly and being scattered everywhere.

There are lots of such articles on the web and many experts have discouraged retrofitting HIDs in stock halogen housings. The factory harness might also not be able to take the high current and 20+ KV during initial firing. [sweatdrop]

Factory fitted HIDs -> [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Retrofitted ones -> [rifle][hur][whip][furious] , hope these selfish drivers get busted soon

Edited by Garlic

Neutral Newbie

I just encountered very bright and glaring HID lights from a vehicle. The glare was so strong that I had pain in my eyes for 5 minutes after looking at the lights directly for a few seconds. I was trying to see if the car had auto-alignment. Obviously it did not have that and seemed like the HID lamps were illegal.

Question now is how do I make a report to the necessary authorities (TP? ROV?) to stop the culprit? I still remember the car model and number plate.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I believe that those white halogen bulbs frm Philips like Vision Plus are merely normal halogen bulbs with some sort of bluish white gel in them to make the light produced look whitish blue i.e. pseudo 6000K HID. Hence these are not considered as HID.

I believe most of these bulbs are legal with the the exception of a few. Maybe a few of the bros here can elaborate. Alternatively, you may refer to the nissan forums under the sunny section. I think the issue has been discussed extensively.

Hope I was of help.

Cheers [:)]

Edited by cefiro_dude

Turbocharged

right now, i am still waiting for LTA to reply me on this issue..

i have sent them an email about using PHILIPS DV & CV Halogen bulbs over a week ago..and have yet to recieve a reply..

It seems like there are 2 types of Xenon lights.

There's the Xenon HID and the Xenon gas filled halogen lights(blue effect).

This is a link I found: http://www.xenondepot.com/faq.php

an extract,

What is the difference between genuine XENON HID lights and Xenon gas-filled bulbs?

High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a type of lighting technology that replaces the filament of the light bulb with Xenon gas. The gas is ignited to produce an arc of light, when high voltage is applied. The amount of light output is three times that of a standard halogen bulb. The lamps also glow at a higher light temperature (closer to natural sunlight) that gives it its distinct color and appearance.

Other companies produce halogen bulbs that are gas-filled. They still have a filament as they are halogen technology, but the gas gives the bulb a bluer color when lit. Xenon-filled halogen bulbs produce little or no more light output then standard halogen bulbs of the same wattage.

"It should be noted that halogen technology is not comparable to the Xenon discharge technology, fitted as original equipment to more and more of the world's finest cars. " - Philips

Turbocharged

seems like for PHILIPS CV and DV, the bulb casing is made in blue to filter the yellow light to give the familiar bluish white colour..

(edited)

So when u see car ad which includes Xenon lights . Chances are Xenon gas-filled halogen lamps. [:p] Unless high end ones which are fitted with Xenon HIDs.

Will have a closer look to see got filament in the bulbs. [laugh]

Who has used blue bulbs? Break the bulb to see whether the gas or the bulb itself is blue.

Edited by Watwheels

(edited)

check the Philips bulb for CE or ECE markings.... if they have one, they are more likely approved type in Europe....

if they are homologated in Europe under R37, they should be accepted.

Edited by Dynaway

Why do you have to do that? If that chap's HID is legit, you would have wasted his time, going down to LTA, should they take action, to have the lights checked, based on your suspicions coz he blinded you.

Put yourself in his shoes.Imagine yourself kenna "invited" to LTA every few days just bcoz some one on the road is not happy with you.

Usually when I encounter such bright lights, I will let it overtake then I high beam behind that chap all the way. When I am in a good mood (usually), I will just flip up the rearview mirror. If it is oncoming, then just look somewhere else for the moment; maybe you have not been on a nightwalk or jungle walk b4 at night.

To the rest of the bros, what is the brightest halogen bulb available in singapore?

↡ Advertisement