NKF in the news

User12343

I agree but this is one of the classic characteristics of Singaporeans which is "play blame roulette and cover your own ass".

It very interesting how the media has subtly manipulated the populace to place all the wrongdoings on Durai and Yong...

True lah. I just tot that everyone is going for that few scapegoats' blood while the rest just distance themselves from something that they once enjoyed and were proud of. [shakehead][shakehead][;)]

Supercharged
(edited)

i agree with you actually.....

even though i find that these individuals did wrong, they did not actually embezzle the money. That's why, given the amount of damages they have to pay and that they did not profit from it, that's why people like Yong may feel aggrieved chose not to take the hit financially.

being at the helm of the control function in companies, my experience is that the management responsbility to instill the necessary controls in the company is the priority. If there is no control, we can hardly blame any other staff for not acting in the best interests of the company albeit not fraudulently.

they are scapegoats to a system of major weakness.......what needs to be overhauled is the system........and who is more culpable? i believe the more discerning ones would have long ago decided who is the bigger culprit in this mess.

Edited by Acemundo

That's why I feel the new NKF should have pull their punches a bit instead of going all out to destroy them completely. I feel this episode is more politically than anything else.

(edited)

Acemundo wrote:

i agree with you actually.....

even though i find that these individuals did wrong, they did not actually embezzle the money. That's why, given the amount of damages they have to pay and that they did not profit from it, that's why people like Yong may feel aggrieved chose not to take the hit financially.

being at the helm of the control function in companies, my experience is that the management responsbility to instill the necessary controls in the company is the priority. If there is no control, we can hardly blame any other staff for not acting in the best interests of the company albeit not fraudulently.

they are scapegoats to a system of major weakness.......what needs to be overhauled is the system........and who is more culpable? i believe the more discerning ones would have long ago decided who is the bigger culprit in this mess.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do agree with all that is stated. I would only like to add a differnt view here:

1.The general population feels 'conned' by the old NKF. Nevermind that there were lots of attracgtive prizes and I will agree that most of the people 'donated' with the hope of winning prizes too. Still, they were misled and hence felt cheated.

2.With fishy businesses revolving the old NKF (the 'consultation' fee, the payment for IT services 'rendered' and the payment to companies that suspiciously seem to have some links to these few individuals), it's reasonable for the general population to arrive at a conclusion that these individuals DID do something unethical. There is a difference in not acting in the best interest of the company (negligence or ignorance) vs intentionally cheating the company (embezzle)

3.The arrogance of Durai to sue-here-sue-there in the past + the last incident of having his bluff called on the golden tap. This deepened the anger in all of us for having been 'cheated' all these years. Remember, most people were only cheated of the few hours and $$ in SMSes, think about all those people who ACTUALLY put in their heart and sole for this cause, only to realise that the due amount from what they raised did not go to the deserving parties.

The simple conclusion that the general population will draw is this:

These people cheated our money and sympathy... for so much and so long. They should not be let off so lightly

While this episode does bring about the weakness and loopholes in the system, it should not be interpreted as it's 'right' to cheat. 2 seperate issues here.

If I did not lock my front door, it doesn't mean that it's right for thieves to steal from my home. And the thieves, once caught, cannot be using the reason that the door was unlock as mitigation/excuse for a lighter sentence.

Edited by Scoots

Supercharged
(edited)

bro,

I understand the emotional aspect of it. I did not criticise people for the resentment against them. Instead what I am saying is a lot of people missed the bigger picture. In setting up whatever organisation, you cannot expect common sense, goodwill or good nature for the organisation to run itself properly. One who fails to plan, plans to fail. If body which adopt such a lassie faire attitude towards governance of charities is more culpable than a failure of individuals to apply common sense.

"If I did not lock my front door, it doesn't mean that it's right for thieves to steal from my home. And the thieves, once caught, cannot be using the reason that the door was unlock as mitigation/excuse. "

Also i did not at any one time say it is right of them to do something unethical. My lament about the poor state of governance does not mean that I am justifying for people like Yong.

Plus ur illustration is off tangent to my posting because stealing is fraudulent or illegal. Note that Yong was not found guilty of any fraud or illegality during his tenure in NKF. Neither was he found to have benefitted from those transactions. His fault was in failure to apply common sense a a chairman should have in governing his CEO.

Edited by Acemundo

Wanna run away must choose countries that SG has no diplomatic ties mah.

Should run to places like Iraq, North Korea, Cuba...

not correct lah... should run to those countries which we dont have extradition treaty.. lipsrsealed.gif ..like iraq? sweatdrop.gif

True lah. I just tot that everyone is going for that few scapegoats' blood while the rest just distance themselves from something that they once enjoyed and were proud of. shakehead.gifshakehead.gifwink.gif

they didn't distance themselves.. they were merely gg ahead with more good years

Yo Bro... chill [cool]

I was only adding my onw 2 cents. No disagreement with anything that you have posted earlier.

However, on the example I illustrated: Yes, the one I used is in the line of crime and legality. Yong may not have committed anything illegal (as far as we know now and as far as the system was able to capture), but his running away is definitely seen as an admission that he did do wrong.And his running away and cashing in on his assets is illegal

...but his running away is definitely seen as an admission that he did do wrong.And his running away and cashing in on his assets is illegal...
That was the aftermath of a more serious problem. I think no one, even Acemundo, will think that running away is right thing to do. In fact, most will agree that by doing so, he just compounded his problems. [;)][;)]

Supercharged

actually you are stretching the argument a bit.

first his illegal disposal of assets is an aftermath of the NKF saga, not part of it. So the illegality of it does not beef up your earlier illustration.

plus, his running away is merely his petulance towards paying for the omissions or oversight which he felt he never benefitted. it is more likely than his admission of guilt on the NKF saga. Plus, guilt in laymen terminology is not illegal. it could be anything emotionally unnerving. Guilty in law and court terminology then is fraudulent. so we must not loosely use both instance of guilt together.

↡ Advertisement