Malaysia's warning on cars with tinted glass

Sun, Jul 15, 2007

The Straits Times

PETALING JAYA - VEHICLES from Singapore and Thailand with heavily tinted windscreens and windows will be turned back at Malaysia's border checkpoints when an amendment to a road transport Act is endorsed soon.

Road Transport Department enforcement director Salim Parlan said the cars would not be allowed in if they failed a test at the border.

'Only vehicles with at least 70 per cent level of light penetration in the front windscreen and 50 per cent on the rear windscreen and side windows will be allowed,' he said, but did not indicate when the new law will take effect.

There was a controversy in April after several Singapore cars with dark tinted windows were given tickets in Malaysia. The problem boils down to different rules in the two countries on tint levels.

Singapore's Land Transport Authority requires 70 per cent of light to be let in through the windscreen and side windows in front, and 25 per cent of the light for the rear windscreen and windows. The Star/Asia News Network

[shakehead][gossip][hur][furious][sleeping][whip][smash][rifle][thumbsdown]

When will they ever learn.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

[thumbsup]

I like the figures that u given below. Malaysia government should see wat tourist from other countries thought of their government's ability to work.

I know that there are countries with even worse law enforcer, but still improvement is needed if Malaysia wanna attract more tourist from all over the world.

Michael

Neutral Newbie

I think is better for them to stop foreign cars from going in at borders for the tinted windows

rather than let you go in and fine you at their roads,every country has the right to set their own rules as we have ban in chewing gums and they do not.

Turbocharged

LTA should issue warning too..the list goes as follow:

Cars with excessively LOUD/milo tin exhaust are not to come in

Cars which DO NOT pass Euro IV emmision standard are not to come in(virtually ALL m'sian cars fall into this category)

Illegally modded cars are not allowed to come in, msian cars will be randomlly checked for illegally modded items

WIDE cars are not to come in(think the sultan's hummer) [scholar]

It just gives them another excuse and avenue to take $$bribes from SG cars. You see, who say they BODOH, they have thot it thru. Very PANDAI.

Ok, they(the Malaysian authority) stop car from going in with heavily tinted glass but does not stop cars who are already inside from tinting heavily. I hope the Singapore Authority would turn away SIN car with heavily tinted glass done in Malaysia from re-entry to Singapore.

What will these lead to? These cars will be stuck on the causeway, busily removing the tinted flimlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif.

Neutral Newbie

I fully agree with you, the enforcement guys are very "enterprising"...this is like telling them now got new lobang to "summon" SG and Thai cars. Sure to see MORE road blocks along NSH one...even if you were "passed" at the border, does not mean can pass on road blocks...just watch.

(edited)

I think all SG cars should not go in(unless really necessary) until they clarify this shiit. For those who went in since, so did they check your tinting or do they cover their arse by putting up some stupid signposts

"all visiting car owners are to ensure your tinting levels comply with malaysia requirements. For approved tinting levels, pls check www.bodohtinting.com.

Meanwhile enjoy visit malaysia year 2007 and happy driving. Our well trained TP will be setting up road blocks to collect visiting fees. We cant pay them any higher salaries as we lost too much in Proton which is sinking like titanic. Thank you for helping to grow our GDP. You will always be our good neighbours as long as you give M$50 "

Edited by Ahbengdriver

As usual... it is usually all talk only....

I for one, work in JB and have to drive in & out everyday.... no issues so far... there must be hundreds or even thousands like me.....

I don't think it will come to anything. In any case, do they even have the equipment to measure the VLT to begin with??? I suspect its just those few cars, during the peak holiday season that got $$$ extorted from them.... giving the window tint as an excuse.

My 2 cents....

Turbocharged

haaaaa..... when I saw the report, me laugh till balls nearly drop... [lipsrsealed] .... have you guys saw some of their own cars..... dark as hell.... yet, they are allowed on the road.... and they can say their law stricter then SIN.... haaaaa....haaaaa..... [laugh]

Turbocharged

ya lor, after we collected so much from their bikers every morning.... must give some back... we good neighbour mah.... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

True that their tinting laws are stricter than SG, but problem is there's no enforcement. So LPPL, equal to no law lor. They "chui kong lam pah song" only.

BTW, if anyone who's still driving up north, you will notice that the causeway is very quiet nowadays. Their Giant and Carrefour got lots of parking space. Woodlands causway was really no jam when I went in on one of the Friday evening 2 months ago. Last time I would have taken 2nd link cos of the jam. My wife's a Malaysian and her friends in JB tell her that their business is not even half as good as it used to be.

With less business, less jobs, crime rates will go up. Now if they come up with such stupid law, 90% of new cars here cannot enter Malaysia liao. Even worse business, even less jobs and much more crimes. Who lose in the end?? Malaysia still boleh?

They will tell you boleh...face more important, the country can rot.

↡ Advertisement