• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
141 replies to this topic | 120 praises

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Meecar
  • Meecar
    Banned

Is it truely environmentally friendly?

Is there saving in the long term? Can't imagine the day when one needs to change the battery?

Anybody here have convinced themselves that it is time to take the plunge and switch to a hybrid?

I am seriously considering replacing my old 4 wheeler that has a mine of her own with a Prius but not sure of the long term implications in terms of cost to the driver.

smile.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Rickster
  • Premium member
    Rickster
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I'm seriously considering CNG conversion right now as it can at least halve my petrol bills each month. Though there are side effects like less powerful engine/loss of warranty etc, until right now, I've not found any potential hidden costs for maintenance.

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

The cost of a Prius is 93k now. Thats a very high price to pay for a 1.5l car. Its a good 40k more than a average normal 1.5l car consuming petrol. Thats not econmically at all. More to environmental friendly reason than anything else.

Why dont u consider getting a 2nd hand car and convert into CNG system(cost 3.4k). Its much more petrol saving this way. Me & a few bros considering getting the 2 yr old 2.4l Sonata and converting it. Conbmine with CNG + Jbee Petrol, u will be getting a huge spacious car with an equal if not better milage than a Vios/City. nod.gif nod.gif nod.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

Rickster
  • Premium member
    Rickster
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Wa u mean converting ur would be sonata would cost 3.4K? Thats ex sweatdrop.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

Toyo
  • Premium member
    Toyo
    Supercharged
    Author Image

If city/vios also convert to using CNG, no one can match their FC laugh.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

ya....you are right. I have thot of that too. nod.gif

But these cars booth space is limited unsure.gif , the CNG tank might take up the entire booth space sweatdrop.gif . No problems will the Sonata tho.....Everything is double that of Vios/City, except for the 2nd hand price which is about the same for all 3 cars. wink.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Wa u mean converting ur would be sonata would cost 3.4K? Thats ex

Actually its i think the CNG system comes in 2 types....either 2.7k or 3.4k. So the car size doesnt matter. U convert a QQ or a Sonata also costs 3.4k. sweatdrop.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Rickster
  • Premium member
    Rickster
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I c...in fact i'm currently considering the 2+ K system. Wats the diff btw? My petrol billz is killing me liao. dead.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Ahyoo2002
  • Ahyoo2002
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

So you decide to give up your OPC Lancer? How is the trade in price, good?

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I c...in fact i'm currently considering the 2+ K system. Wats the diff btw? My petrol billz is killing me liao.

Actually i not the pro to advise u. But its well discuss by Genie47 here. U might want to read through.

http://www.mycarforu...rsion_P1849779/

For me, im still thinking hard whether to do a double conversion of my current OPC Lancer + CNG system or get a 2nd hand Sonata + convert. My petrol bill also quite high. My lancer takes 50ltrs full tank...that will costs abt $80 of Spore petrol..... sweatdrop.gif sweatdrop.gif sweatdrop.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

what's the diff between the 2.7 and 3.4k

different tank size?

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

Evilernie
  • Premium member
    Evilernie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Guys doing CNG conversion doesn't LTA approval?
Honda:EG6~FD1~FD2R
Spirit of Honda

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

So you decide to give up your OPC Lancer? How is the trade in price, good?

The highest bid i got was 27k during the highest COE time, which is abt 1-2mths back. Now im not so sure liao. Might be tempted to take the plunge soon, cos my outstanding loan now is abt 30k....just a few k diff nia. smile.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

This is the diff bah....cut & paste from Genie47 thread.

Comes in a standard 10kg tank which can last 270km milage for Genie's Aveon. And mind you, the cost abt $1.05/kg now. Bloody $10+ for 270km milage, where to find lar. thumbsup.gif

Conversion takes at least 4 days. 1 week max depending on whether they have the parts.

SGI kit from Melchers (OMVL from Italy) is 3.5k
Mixer kit (Galileo from Argentina) is 2k.

Edited by Hiphiphoray, 30 July 2007 - 01:59 PM.

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Guys doing CNG conversion doesn't LTA approval?

The guys at CNG will do all the paper work for u. Including LTA approval.

http://www.cng.com.sg/index.php

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

that make it 1kg to about 27km. about 100% more than my current FC of 12.5km/L.
But the issue is the boot space. unsure.gif

BTW, beside jurong island, I heard that there's one refilling station at Mandai. Is it up and running already coz I didn't see it at all..

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hiphiphoray
  • Hiphiphoray
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It was mentioned the mandai station will be operational in Jan 2008. One more at serangoon area, date to be confirm later. nod.gif nod.gif nod.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

Ivan78
  • Ivan78
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I wouldn't think it is worth it to change it as yet... It's still pretty new to the local market and that's why the extra price you gotta pay is still very significant....

I am sure the price will be more competitive in the future when there are more CNG and hybrid cars available in the market....

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

Sony
  • Premium member
    Sony
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I guess I shall wait and see then... Mandai is good for me.. don't even have to drive there.. can just release handbrake and roll it to the station tongue.gif

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Arowana1
  • Arowana1
    5th Gear
    Author Image

i booked a civic hybrid for a couple of reasons:

1. petrol bills killing me so need to look for alternatives;
2. cng is an option but no station except for jurong. new one at mandai starts in jan 2008.
3. cng station at mandai... is it 24x7 or office hours? any more to come?
4. loss of power. my ride, if add 80kg on top of what i normally have, will feel lethargic liao. with cng weight and slight loss of power, i think will feel underpowered and no joy to drive.
5. boot space compromised. suv got lots of space but cannot put many smaller stuffs unless you use a cargo net to hold them.
6. prius too ex for a hybrid and to give sufficient cost savings to be driving a weird and old car.
7. cng is cheap now but will it remain that way? prices in singapore are artificial due to gahmen taxes and monopoly.

dats how i ended up with civic hybrid.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: Hybrid, cars, worth, switch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)