Hybrid cars - is it worth the switch now?

Meecar

Is it truely environmentally friendly?

Is there saving in the long term? Can't imagine the day when one needs to change the battery?

Anybody here have convinced themselves that it is time to take the plunge and switch to a hybrid?

I am seriously considering replacing my old 4 wheeler that has a mine of her own with a Prius but not sure of the long term implications in terms of cost to the driver.

[:)]

↡ Advertisement

I'm seriously considering CNG conversion right now as it can at least halve my petrol bills each month. Though there are side effects like less powerful engine/loss of warranty etc, until right now, I've not found any potential hidden costs for maintenance.

The cost of a Prius is 93k now. Thats a very high price to pay for a 1.5l car. Its a good 40k more than a average normal 1.5l car consuming petrol. Thats not econmically at all. More to environmental friendly reason than anything else.

Why dont u consider getting a 2nd hand car and convert into CNG system(cost 3.4k). Its much more petrol saving this way. Me & a few bros considering getting the 2 yr old 2.4l Sonata and converting it. Conbmine with CNG + Jbee Petrol, u will be getting a huge spacious car with an equal if not better milage than a Vios/City. [nod][nod][nod]

ya....you are right. I have thot of that too. [nod]

But these cars booth space is limited [:/] , the CNG tank might take up the entire booth space [sweatdrop] . No problems will the Sonata tho.....Everything is double that of Vios/City, except for the 2nd hand price which is about the same for all 3 cars. [;)]

Wa u mean converting ur would be sonata would cost 3.4K? Thats ex

Actually its i think the CNG system comes in 2 types....either 2.7k or 3.4k. So the car size doesnt matter. U convert a QQ or a Sonata also costs 3.4k. [sweatdrop]

I c...in fact i'm currently considering the 2+ K system. Wats the diff btw? My petrol billz is killing me liao.

Actually i not the pro to advise u. But its well discuss by Genie47 here. U might want to read through.

http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/Aftermarke...rsion_P1849779/

For me, im still thinking hard whether to do a double conversion of my current OPC Lancer + CNG system or get a 2nd hand Sonata + convert. My petrol bill also quite high. My lancer takes 50ltrs full tank...that will costs abt $80 of Spore petrol..... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

So you decide to give up your OPC Lancer? How is the trade in price, good?

The highest bid i got was 27k during the highest COE time, which is abt 1-2mths back. Now im not so sure liao. Might be tempted to take the plunge soon, cos my outstanding loan now is abt 30k....just a few k diff nia. [:)]

(edited)

This is the diff bah....cut & paste from Genie47 thread.

Comes in a standard 10kg tank which can last 270km milage for Genie's Aveon. And mind you, the cost abt $1.05/kg now. Bloody $10+ for 270km milage, where to find lar. [thumbsup]

Conversion takes at least 4 days. 1 week max depending on whether they have the parts.

SGI kit from Melchers (OMVL from Italy) is 3.5k

Mixer kit (Galileo from Argentina) is 2k.

Edited by Hiphiphoray

that make it 1kg to about 27km. about 100% more than my current FC of 12.5km/L.

But the issue is the boot space. [:/]

BTW, beside jurong island, I heard that there's one refilling station at Mandai. Is it up and running already coz I didn't see it at all..

Neutral Newbie

I wouldn't think it is worth it to change it as yet... It's still pretty new to the local market and that's why the extra price you gotta pay is still very significant....

I am sure the price will be more competitive in the future when there are more CNG and hybrid cars available in the market....

↡ Advertisement